“Lovely B&B in downtown Palo Alto” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cowper Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palo Alto
Cowper Inn
705 Cowper St, Palo Alto, CA 94301   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Palo Alto B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Lovely B&B in downtown Palo Alto”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed for one night in February. The Inn is very sweet, and a good place to explore Palo Alto and the Stanford campus. I would say that this is a great place for people who enjoy staying in typical european style B&Bs. The rooms are clean, but there is some noise, based on being in a house with multiple other guests. The rooms are decorated in a period style, and while comfortable, it's certainly more about the character of the place than a luxury experience. The breakfast was delicious and served in a lovely room with a big fireplace, perfect for the rainy day we were having. My only complaint was that the staff was unavailable when we checked out, so we just had to leave our keys and hope for the best (they charged us promptly and for the correct amount and they did call to follow-up). We'd definitely stay there again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pacific Grove, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed at the Cowper Inn B&B for three nights while my husband was a patient at Stanford Hospital. I rented a suite advertised with a kitchenette. That consisted of a table, chairs, sink, coffeemaker and bar-size refrigerator. There was no way to cook or heat anything in this "kitchenette."
I arrived three minutes after hours and found the keys to my bldg. and room tacked to the front door. I have no problem with that, but I never once found anyone at the front desk, nor did I see the management face-to-face in three days. The note with my keys gave me the wrong code for the wifi, so I had none my first night--got the right code at breakfast the next day. When I checked out, I had to do it by telephone and I was told that a receipt would be emailed to me. It's been two weeks and, despite several additional requests from me, the receipt still has not been forthcoming, so I don't know what additional charges might have been added to my bill.
Breakfast was the one bright spot in my stay. I eat granola and unsweetened yogurt for breakfast at home and was able to get that here--very good.
Just be aware that the service is lacking at the Cowper, there's nobody to deal with any problems you might have and you'd better be ready to drag your own suitcases up and down long flights of stairs if you stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Palo Alto, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks in the smallest room they had (#32) to save money on a long business trip. This room has a shared bathroom; however, we are living in Europe right now where there are lots of shared baths so it didn't bother us. Overall we had a good experience. The inn met our needs perfectly, though I can see why it is not for some people. Here is my summary:

The Good
- LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
- Cool old house with lots of charm and history
- Great housekeeping and neat as a pin
- Aveda bath products
- Well equipped generally (hair dryer, iron, plenty of towels, nice bedding, etc.)

The Bad
- The house is old and creaky with weird angles, not good it you have lots of luggage or are not able to climb stairs
- There is no luxury anything, it is quaint though
- Old house = old windows = lots of street noise
- No AC (at least in #32), you might swelter in the summer

Can't comment on breakfast, we didn't eat there.

Room Tip: Avoid 32 if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011 via mobile

I loved my 5 days at the Cowper inn. Great food, great service. Clean rooms. What more can u ask for?

• Stayed December 2011
MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Room 32 is VERY tiny; only OK for solo. Shared bathroom no problem; never had to wait for toilet or shower. Wonderful breakfast and coffee available by 6:45. VERY NOISY. Windows do not cut out any of the noise. PArking on the street always available. Was there for 3 nights and would stay there again. Pricey by normal standards but reasonable for Palo Alto.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house, upstairs room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011 via mobile

We stayed in the Carriage House and it was wonderful, like a litle apt. Staff was excellent with a nice breakfast. Heathly and fresh just the way we like it when traveling.
Perfect location!!!! A few blocks and your right in the middle of the lovely Palo Alto. Highly recommend !!

• Stayed October 2011
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

It has been really hard to rate this inn.

We stayed in two different rooms during our stay. Both rooms were dilapidated and could use renovation. One of the rooms had a faint moldy smell.

Service is friendly. but a little informal and slap dash - we asked to be in the main house after returning from a road trip and we were told this would be fine, but in the end we were back in the Victorian house.

Despite this, the place just oozes charm and we were happy staying there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Cowper Inn? Share your experiences!