“Marvelous Sculptures” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 19 Attractions in Palo Alto
Type: Art Museums, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: The Center presents a wide selection of art in 24 galleries, plus outdoor gardens, courtyards, and terraces. The Center's collection spans 5000 years and ranges from ancient China to the 21st century.
Houston
3 attraction reviews
“Marvelous Sculptures”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Easy to get to by foot or automobile; free admission; informative story of the Leland Stanford family;

Visited August 2012

Southern California
5 attraction reviews
“World class musuem with a wonderful collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is one of the leading art musuems on the West Coast and probably the United States. It has a huge collection that could take almost a full day to see and really understand. Most of the collection is permanent, but they have some galleries with rotating displays, so they will always be something new to use. One thing did annoy me, while I was on a self-guided tour, a musuem docent passed by and referred to one room as "that is just some of the Stanford's things". Stanford's "things" included the Golden Spike of the Transcontiential Railroad fame. It could be one of the most important artifacts in Western US history. I feel it was out of place in this musuem.

Parking is free on weekends but be careful doing the week as parking is restricted and there is a fee to parking is certain areas. The fact this musuem is free is a shock.

Visited June 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
13 attraction reviews
“Small but nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We mostly wandered around, doing an overview rather than a detailed study of the artwork. We are not much into centuries old art, and the modern art was a bit on the edge for us. Our favorite style, Impressionism, was sorely lacking. We did, however, enjoy the Rodin sculpture garden. Admission is free on Thursday evenings, which is when we we t.

Visited July 2012
Atherton, California
9 attraction reviews
“Always great exhibits”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have been a few times, and I have been fortunate enough to see exhibits of Richard Avedon portraits and Rodin's influences. The exhibits are constantly changing, but they are always interesting and beautiful. Also interesting is the Stanford room, which shows many of the personal possessions of the Stanford family. Especially interesting for anyone interested in 19th-century history. Come on a sunny day (most days are in Palo Alto) for full enjoyment of the superb outdoor exhibits.

Visited February 2012
Ashland, Oregon
6 attraction reviews
“I can't belive it's free!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We had time to go to the museum in the afternoon so we decided to go! The parking was hard to find but we found it and had to pay. It's $0.75 per 30 minutes. After 4p.m, the parking is free! We wanted to make sure that we have time to see everything so we paid the parking until 4p.m. which was $3.00 and after 4 p.m., it was free!

Everything was amazing and I loved the little gift shop too. I could spend all day there and I wish I had time for it. Anyway, I highly recommend to go and you will not regret because it's FREE!!

Visited August 2012

Been to Cantor Arts Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Cantor Arts Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.