“Great food and great value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 313 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Great food and great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had a business dinner at Osteria and was a great place to visit and eat. I had the caesar salad and calamari steak, both delish. Also had the tiramisu, which was ok. Service was great.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Palo Alto
“Osteria's underwhelming cuisine and service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a small restaurant w tables packed tightly together. We were seated in a back corner next to 2 tables of children, ranging in age from 6-14. Their parents were all seated in the front of the restaurant, out of hearing range. The children acted like children, happy to be together w no supervision, loud and boisterous.
Their behavior greatly impacted our meal, as well as adults at adjacent tables. The restaurant handled it poorly, speaking to the children w no results. They should have, at the least, offered complimentary house wine or desserts or made an attempt to change our table.
Additionally the food was mediocre. My flattened half chicken breast was slightly dry, not we'll seasoned, atop very wet, undrained spinach, which flooded the plate in a watery mess. The accompanying buttery carrots were over buttered. My husband's calamari was tasty but the menu did not mention that it is breaded & pan fried. It does describe the lemon butter sauce. There was no depth of flavor w either dish.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Palo Alto, California
“Nice northern Italian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I've always been a softie for Veal Piccata, and they do a nice one here. This is a Caesar Salad, mussels with garlic kind of place. The tables are quite close together, though, and noise levels are high.

Palo Alto, California
“Good Old Faithful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We used to frequent this place but have not been there in the last three years. We came again last week and found the same old atmosphere, personnel and menu! I guess you don't change a winning combination. The food adhered to the old standard. Some of the dishes are superb some just regular. We love the artichoke appetizer as well as the hearts of pal salad (although they did put an excessive amount of dressing). I had the piccata limone which was excellent and the halibut-- a special of the day-- was notable. There are two items should complain about: the coffee is not to Italian standard and the bread -- a sourdough -- used to be a lot better. The tree of us left $150 including wine and tip.

Just in general, the place is crowded and noisy and you have to have a reservation.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Way overestimated!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I went to that restaurant with 4 of my colleagues 3 months ago and surely I would never go there again. I have never received such an attitude anywhere else. We met extremely rude and insulting treatment, ignorant service and totally unacceptable behaviour. The manager of the restaurant doubted our capacity for paying the bill (can you believe this is even possible?!), just because we asked for help in understanding the handwritten check and asked for him to rewrite it (the answer was: "I've been running my restaurant for 20 years and I do not rewrite checks!"). He also informed us that the police station was right across the street and actually THREATENED us with calling the police. Well, what a surprise, we managed to pay that bill!
Besides from that, food was way too far from good, at least for my taste. This place does not offer pizzas (Italian restaurant?!) and does not have a bar (which means only few choices of bottled beer and even fewer decent wines). The restaurant by itself is nothing special in terms of interior or atmosphere - it's noisy, crowded and shabby. Honestly, it is way overestimated.

• Visited April 2012