“Teamwork would improve overall experience” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Sea by Alexander is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 313 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Dinah's Court
San Francisco, California
“Teamwork would improve overall experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We were seated in the quiet dining niche near the bar and asked for black dinner napkins (which are available) and were told, "be right back with those". Thirty minutes later, no napkins. Twenty minutes after sitting with the wine list and menu, a harried waiter came by to ask if we had any questions. We wanted to order a bottle of wine and were told the sommelier would be right with us. Twenty more minutes, no sommelier. The waiter, Thomas,(sweaty browed) arrived with our bottle. After I pointed out how long we had been sitting waiting to be attended, he profusely apologized and thanked us for our patience. Service picked up. The food was delicious. The green salad was tender and very fresh.Lobster risotto, amazing. The fresh catch was perfectly prepared.Thomas is quite proficient at his job and takes it very seriously. I couldn't help but wonder how much smoother the evening would have gone had everyone be as proficient in their roles. [Daniel in New York has impeccable service where the staff works as a team-of course the chef is genius.] This restaurant should be booked regularly and hopefully the staff (including those employees who just stand around) find a way to contribute to the rise of this awaiting experience.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bangkok, Thailand
“May need to come back and try again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Just went there for business dinner but I was a bit disappointed with food quality. One of us ordered lobster which was so so due to lack of freshness. I ordered steak but meat quality was not good (I ordered rare and steak was cooked rare but texture was very dry with no juice at all).

Its menu especially tasting menu with wine pairing seems innovative which we should have tried their tasting menu or Chef's recommendation. It could have been much better than our own selection. This restaurant seems very innovative in food menu starting with their French fries with truffle aroma and delicious dip.

The restaurant was quite packed so I guessed other people enjoyed them.

Wine list is excellent with very attentive and good wine recommendation provided.

Nice ambience with good service.

I want to come back and try their tasting menu next time.

“amazing hamach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Everytime I come to los altos, I have to go to this restaurant because they have the best Hamachi shots. Umm mmm good.

Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent service, classy, tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

I loved the atmosphere and the service. The food is of very good quality and nice presentation. Our waiter found out we were celebrating my arrival to Palo Alto and birthday and brought us some complimentary sparkling wine. He was very helpful with the menu. We ordered the crab risotto which was exquisite. They had a good assortment of breads and croissants. The salad was probably the less complex of the dishes and was a bit plain, but quite fresh.
The lighting was perfect and the noise level low. Perfect for conversation.
The decor was beautiful and calming. High ceilings and lots of glass. Prices are on the moderate-high side. it is a classy place for a celebration or to treat yourself. Loved the cotton candy detail at the end with dessert!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, Nebraska
“great atmosphere but seafood was not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Went to The Sea by Alexander last week. The place is beautiful inside but I sure wish the food lived. I had the seared merl, slightly overcooked. My wife had the halibut steak which was significantly overcooked. Texture was soft and unpleasant. The tuna tartar was superb.

The wait staff was very attentive but it would have been nice to have some consistency in the faces. We must have had 5 or 6 different servers. our primary waiter, however seemed to busy to accommodate us.

I had expected much more and was quite disappointed. Would not go back. Prices were moderately high to high so I found little value in the meal.

• Visited November 2013