“High quality Asian food” 4 of 5 stars

(650) 323-6543
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rangoon Ruby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 314 restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Burmese, Asian fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: University
Transit: 5 minutes walk from the CalTrain station in Palo Alto.
Description: Now open in downtown Palo Alto, Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine will have two Wins insuring authentic, Burmese cuisine. Chefs Win Aye and Win Tin formerly of Burma Superstars locations in Oakland and Alameda respectively, will jointly be heading up the kitchen at the new Rangoon Ruby venue. With proven chefs proficient in all of the specialties that make Burmese cuisine sought after by Asian food aficionados, plus a modern, upscale ambiance located in downtown Palo Alto, Rangoon Ruby Burmese Cuisine expects to strike a chord with Silicon Valley diners looking for a fresh, clean approach to one of the worlds great cuisines. Influenced by Indian, Thai and Chinese cooking, the traditional Burmese menu will be complemented by a full bar with signature tropical cocktails including the eponymous Rangoon Ruby, a mid-century libation thought to be the forerunner of todays Cosmopolitan.
Dublin, Ireland
“High quality Asian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I went with a friend and his family. It was my first experience of Burmese food, so I was pleasantly surprised.

The minor quibbles first: It's very busy and crowded so make sure to book ahead. The waiter was friendly and helpful. However despite having to wait for up to 25 mins for two of the dishes, we felt were being rushed by the pace at which the dishes were being pulled away from the table after we were nearly finished with them. It's not a child friendly restaurant, but to be honest, I can't blame the restaurant for that. Spicy hot food is the essence of most Asian food, so it was difficult to select bland food for one of the children who joined us.

The tea leaf salad was very interesting. I don't have a benchmark to base it off as it was my first experience, but I loved it. It's a cacophony of flavours that worked for me. One of my friends also loved it, but the other did not because it was too spicy for her. The quality of the dishes we received was well above what I've experienced in 90% of Asian restaurants, so the slight delay could be tolerated. My salmon fish dish was excellent, properly spiced with no bones remaining ( important in Asian dishes when you cannot see what you are eating since it is covered in sauce). One of the meat dishes we ordered was truly divine. It had a sweet and spicy caramelised coating.

I would highly recommend you try here. Book ahead. Take time to relax and enjoy the food flavours, try to Balance the dishes that you order so that will not be overwhelmed with new spicy flavours.

72% Recommend
San Francisco Bay Area
“New find in downtown Palo Alto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Well it's not that new, but we tried several times to stop by. BUSY, long wait. Finally we went there a few weeks ago and still NO table. However, we were offered a spot in the bar, which we gladly accepted. Very friendly service. Offered us drinks right away,and food service was friendly and prompt. Got the fermented tea leaf salad, and LOVED it. Must try the unique dishes. Can't remember the name of our cocktail but had dry ice, nice effect.

Great ambience, friendly service, awesome food. Worth the wait, but try and plan early to avoid the long wait we had.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Rare gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Rangoon Ruby is a must try restaurant both because the food is excellent (try the tea leaf salad and pumpkin pork) but also because it is hard to find Asian cuisine with definite potential for becoming all the rage. Service was good and the restaurant is elegant and cosy. Lots of attention to detail by management/owners.

Visited January 2013
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Probably the best and most interesting food I've had in Palo Alto. Ate here 5x (?!) in the last couple weeks, influenced others in the lobby of my hotel and brought coworkers here. Staff is super friendly, treated me as a regular on my second visit...and...they put dry ice in cocktails! ♥

“Wow - a hidden gem in Palo Alto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Had such a good dinner on Saturday with the wife, we went back on Sunday with a large group. Both nights the food was fantastic and the place was buzzing - even on Sunday. Highly recommend

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere