“January Road Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
San Diego, California
“January Road Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Incredible food. Recommended by a friend. We had a wonderful breakfast. I had the frittata with fingerling potatoes. It was delicious. A little hard to find unless you know Palo Alto. Will definitely go there again when in the area.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Palo Alto, California
“Healthy Fast Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

If you're looking for something casual, convenient and tasty, this is a good alternative. Everything prepared with care. Everything has calorie count given up front. Gluten free and vegan options, and, believe it or not, wine and beer. It's probably not a great sign that I can't remember the flavors of anything in particular that I ate there and I've been twice, but neither can I recall anything bad. It's a nice option to have even if it isn't my first choice in town. A sunny deck is in its favor.

Visited December 2012
New York
“Look out for this new up and comer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great food. Mushroom and goat-cheese flatbread is a must. Taste is what leads the experience, while diversity of menu and freshness, let alone focus on food origination is what makes this place unique. Organic wine is fun but, well, organic wine. Met the manager and Lyfe team - fantastic people. If you are a vegetarian - you don't need to go anywhere else. If you are a vegan - this is it. If you are a person who cares about where the food comes from - you found it. Unlike the previous reviewer - I don't live in the area, I am old and still turn my computer on with a gasp of "wow, that is so cool!". I hate chic (but these guys are certainly "in"). I just love great, fresh, safe food in a lively atmosphere. This is a "must try" place. Oh, and these guys will be in New York City soon - I know it. I hope to be one of their first customers! Thanks for your commitment and good luck!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Menlo Park, California
“an "everyday restaurant"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

You have to understand why Lyfe exists. There's a strata of Palo Alto - mostly young tech nerds - who simply don't cook at home. They work in the offices right around this end of University Ave. Lyfe is made for them. The cooking is like what you would cook at home, some decent soups and burgers and grilled fish, and is much more healthy ( less rich, less oil ) then you get at most places. You can probably eat here a few nights a week and not go crazy. Service is laid back counter style with buzzers - no hassle - and there are couches and booths. There are vegan and glucose free options on the menu.

That all being said, the food is kind of bland and pedestrian, but on a day when you're travelling and you want something like actual home cook food with zero hassle, this just might fit the bill. It's quiet, too.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Palo Alto, California
“Love the food, the consistency and the service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Vege and Vegan friends have raved about the Kabocha Squash Risotto. People have told me they love their flat bread (pizzas). I found the vege burger pretty good; it was everything that came with it that made me love it. But my favorite meal there is the oddly named (not crunchy at all) Quinoa Crunchy Wrap--it is exceptional. I have never had anything like it. The best I could describe it would be a vegetable filled egg salad wrap. It is spicy and textured with lots of avocado, grain and vegetables wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. The salsa was so good! I do have to add salt to everything, but so what. My husband loves their Salmon and a friend raved about the Tal's Ancient Grain Bowl. I agree it is pricey, but it is our favorite fast meal for lunch or dinner now--just not every week.

• Visited November 2012