“Spacious Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Victoria BC
“Spacious Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Hotel offered lovely spacious rooms. The only down side was that they were putting on a new roof when we were there. They hadn't mentioned that when we booked. They initially gave us a room on the top floor but it smelled of tar so we asked to be moved. Got a room on the second floor and that was much better. Breakfast is ok. There is limited seating in the lobby and it is really not designed for breakfast but it better than some. The important thing was it was quiet and clean.

Room Tip: The elevator in this place is ancient and very small. It is primarily a walk-up. If you don't...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I checked into my room and found that it had been only partially cleaned. Apparently, the cleaning staff decided to call it a day before picking up towels, robes, and dirty glasses and cleaning the bathroom sink. I complained upon checking in, but they couldn't give me a different room. There solution was to give me some new soap and towels. The TV wouldn't work either. The staff tried to be nice, but there were no apologies and no sense that the customer comes first. Despite my efforts for them to acknowledge my inconvenience at check-out, they just gave me a form to fill out that someone will probably never see. Needless to say, they never followed up with me. For the price you pay, this place is completely overpriced. Breakfast is below average. Room AC/heater unit is loud. Walls are so thin that I woke up when my neighbor's alarm clock went off. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Used to visit this hotel since late 2009 and paid $140/night with Stanford medical discount. Rate this week was $279/night. Not worth this kind of money. Hotel management doesn't seem to understand there are numerous alternatives within 2 miles for $100 less per night. The most important hotel amenities are the secure underground parking (excellent) and the proximity to everything Stanford. A Starbucks is next door. Despite this the rooms are over sized, over priced, some of the oldest most uncomfortable furniture possible. Some rooms don't have reading lamps near the bed and in some cases you cannot watch TV while in bed. The furniture was stained and horribly uncomfortable. These people do not have a clue what's going or they are marketing to a population of visitors that doesn't care what shape the hotel is in. THIS HOTEL HAS SEEN ITS LAST BETTER DAY. We can't stay here again as I feel ripped off for the features provided. The hotel staff can be accommodating but they don't have the assets to work with to make this a competitive hotel. Look for this hotel to be re-sold (again) or go out of business. WAKE UP. There are possibilities here but not based on a good continental breakfast and nearby Starbucks.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

A medium walk to campus or a quick ride on the shuttles, this hotel is comfortable enough but rather worn. Big rooms, nice coffee machines, very competent American-continental style breakfast (cereal, fruit, bagels, waffle-machine). Mrs.Madrigal-style courtyard garden; useless (tiny) pool. Rooms dark and facing the courtyards, and worn. I mentioned that the radio-clock-ipod dock was not working (except for the clock part); nothing was done. The ice-machine didn't work either. Depending on your needs, it is OK, but I will not return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Westchester, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The reviews for the Stanford Inn were good and the location seemed close to Stanford, so my son and I booked it for a recent visit to the area. Our ground floor room had a terrible moldy smell and was worn beyond what is acceptable. I didn't want to take off my shoes and knew I would not be staying the night when I was told no other rooms were available.
While the Inn is near the back area of Stanford, the back end of Stanford is far away from the visitors center. Don't be fooled as I was. It is definitely not walking distance to the downtown area with all of the shops and stores.
Visiting Palo Alto is tough because there are expensive hotels or slightly (very) run down inns and motels which still charge over $200 a night....in my opinion the extra money for the clean and modern hotel is worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Stanford Terrace Inn when visiting our son and daughter-in-law in Palo Alto. The top floor rooms are very pleasant, light and airy. The presence of two skylights in the bathroom are a real plus. The room was large and the beds very comfortable. The hotel was quiet. The front desk and the housekeeping staff were first-rate. There was ample, well-lit underground parking. They served a continental breakfast which looked very good. However, due to other committments, we did not have the opportunity to try it.

The rooms on the first and second stories are dark. However, given the other positive aspects of this hotel, I would not make obtaining a top-floor room the deciding factor in choosing this hotel. The interior courtyard and pool are quite pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a third-floor room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We've stayed at the Stanford Terrace Inn 6 times since August 2009. We were very pleased the first several times. We especially liked the location, the very pleasant amenities, beautiful vegetation, "green" consciousness, bright paint colors that seemed to declare "California," and attention to small details for the comfort and enjoyment of guests. So we decided to stay there again even after there was a change in ownership/management. We found that the service and maintenance had suffered quite noticeably, but since our stay was shortly after the change in ownership, we decided to give it another try when we were back in Palo Alto in February, 2012. Our decision was also influenced by the apologies we received the first time we stayed with the new management, and the assurances that the new management was aware of the transitional problems and would be working hard to resolve them. To our great disappointment, conditions seemed to deteriorate even further when we stayed a second time under the current management. Most of what still seems very nice at the Stanford Terrace Inn derives from the previous owners. Most of the rooms are quite large and nicely laid out with good plumbing, a vanity in the dressing area and a second sink in the bathroom, great closet space, comfortable robes.,etc. Recent reviewers have complimented the continental breakfast, but it was even nicer with additional offerings under the former management! The former management set out cookies along with containers of ice water and lemonade in the late afternoon for newly arriving and continuing guests, but this welcoming touch is now gone. We generally request rooms on the top floor (3rd floor around the front courtyard and 2nd floor elsewhere), which have nice skylights in the dressing area and bathrooms. On our recent stay, these skylights were full of cobwebs! I also noticed that some of the furniture in our room had what at first appeared to be white paint smudges. When I looked more closely, it turned out that these white spots were partially removed stick-on price tags! There's nothing wrong with the management purchasing second-hand furniture -- as long as this furniture doesn't include any pests and management is careful enough to remove the tacky stick-on price tags! After noticing the price tags, I looked under the bed and found a wrapper - I won't be more specific - from a former occupant. This was so disgusting that I didn't even tell my husband about it! Although the underground parking garage is great, under the new management 1 of the 2 garage entrances was constantly blocked with large SUVs or pick-up trucks, reducing the convenience of the garage. The free shuttle service has also been drastically reduced. Although the vegetation in the courtyards is still quite nice, the back courtyard cried out for more care as many plants were very overgrown and needed trimming. Guests who have only stayed at this hotel since management changed may be quite pleased with this hotel, but those who stayed under the previous management will miss the previous amenities, cleanliness and service. The old management also featured had a Heron Club; members would receive info about specials and other news. Although new management told me on my first visit after the ownership change that they would be re-instituting the Heron Club, we haven't received any Heron Club communications from the current management! Unless other options aren't available in or near Palo Alto, we don't plan to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Reserve a room on the top floor since noise travels through the ceilings in rooms on lower floors...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Stanford Terrace Inn? Share your experiences!