“Top hotel for a Stanford visit” 4 of 5 stars

The Westin Palo Alto
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   675 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94301   |
Ranked #6 of 24 hotels in Palo Alto
Savannah, Georgia
“Top hotel for a Stanford visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was in Palo Alto recently for a visit to the Stanford campus. My husband made reservations at the Westin Palo Alto, and it was a great choice. The Westin is located right across the street from campus. Stanford is a large campus of about 1700 acres. Getting around could be difficult, but the Westin is just across the street. The Westin is located very close to the downtown Palo Alto shopping and restaurant scene, and just a couple of blocks from the Palo Alto Transit Center where a person can get the CALTRAIN to San Francisco or the lower peninsula, as well as several buses which service San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. Marguerite, the Stanford shuttle, also stops at the Palo Alto Transit Center. So, the hotel's location is a real plus. The hotel itself was pleasant and offers food. The breakfast buffet was basic, not imaginative, and not particuarly good. That is really my only low point. The rooms were pleasant and services were very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

When I travel to the penisula to visit family, I stay at the Westin. The hotel is lovely and the staff are warm, welcoming, caring, and knowledgeable folks. Not only are the room accommodations superior, but the hotel ammenities are the ones I need: fitness center, secure parking, and business center. I regularly enjoy the morning coffee/tea service in the lobby and occasionally take advantage of the lounge, restaurant, and gift shop. In addition, the Westin Palo Alto is conveniently located and within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants. Certainly, the hotel fulfills all my travel needs and I don't stay anywhere else when in Palo Alto.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My first time at this hotel, but business at Stanford and the proximity of this hotel to the campus were a plus. Some earlier reviews were uneven, but it appears to me that the hotel has been freshly renovated inside. Parking is a tad claustrophobic if you miss the turn off El Camino, but a friendly staff checked me in. The hallways are a little maze-like as this hotel is in "wings" laid out over gardens, but once you figure it out it's fine. My room was quiet, comfortable, well decorated, very nice bathroom, comfortable desk chair. Dinner at Soleil was satisfying and quiet. A good value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Starting w/an excellent location if you have to go onto the Stanford campus and ending w/the friendly bartender (Marylin) - this hotel is what others should strive to be. The value proposition is there to begin with and the attitude of the staff is spot on. One minor improvment could be made is speeding up the check-in at peak time (add another person on the fornt desk for ~ 45 minutes). The gym is spotless and the pool and the spa are well maintained. The bathroom was clean, the shower worked as it should, the curtains slid easily, and the TV controls were easy to understand and manipulate. Even the bedside chocolates were tasty. The restaurant service (brunch on Saturday) was impecable and the food quality superior to excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the first floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

This was my second stay at this hotel. It is by far the finest Westin hotel in my experience. It is perfect in nearly every regard except for two minor points. Finding a room with an electrical outlet by the nightstands was a challenge and had to be rigged with an extension cord. Second, I could not use mirroring off my iPad to the flat panel TV.

Otherwise, the in-room refrigerator, coffee maker, great linens, towels and amenities were terrific. It's very pricey, but it's Palo Alto, CA. The service makes up for it. I was impressed that the pool was comfortably heated at the end of November.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel manager and staff are very nice, however the food and room quality leave a lot to be desired. We arrived late on Friday and hadn't eaten. The hotel restaurant ws open for about 20 minutes, so we stopped in to grab a bite. The food was horrible. It was late, so we had to order off of a small menu. My husband had a burger and I had fondue. The food had obviously been sitting around for hours - fries were mushy, burger was overcooked, fondue was lumpy. When we got back to our room, we noticed that the bed was soft and lumpy. We were too tired to move, so we stayed. Both of us had back aches in the morning. We requested to be moved, which we were to another room. The bed was fine there. The shower was a very small stall, and one of the shower heads didn't work. The housekeeping staff didn't leave us with water and neglected to stock shampoo & conditioner.

Normally, one of these things is tolerable, but altogether it indicates to me that the hotel isn't being maintained. If you decide to stay, make sure you request a room with a newer bed and one that doesn't face the road - it was very noisy in the morning.

The hotel manager did take the bad meal off of our bill, so kudos to her for doing the right thing.

Room Tip: Request a room that doesn't face the road and has a newer bed. also ask if there are any bathroo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear MexicoInFebruary,
Thank you for your feedback via Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to hear that we failed to live up to expecations during this visit, it must have been most disappointing. Please know that this is not at all the norm for our hotel and we will do all that we can to remedy the situation so that subsequent guests don't experience the same. I am pleased that your food charge was removed from your bill. I would really appreciate it if you would reach out to me with your name so that I can identify which room has the lumpy mattress and further make amends. Thank you again for the feedback as it can only help us to improve.
Warmest Regards,
Tanya Fleming
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I just noticed I got wrongly charge $40 on my credit card. Funnily, the only reason I noticed this is because this week I stayed in ANOTHER Westin and noticed again a wrong charge of $70. Both charges are dropped after I complained about the second charge through email. But this is very disturbing. Do I need to verify online my credit card charges every time? And I don't know if I should blame Westin Palo Alto or Westin in general, since it happened twice in my two stays in two different locations.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear LujunFang,
Thank you for your review of the Westin Palo Alto. I am very sorry to hear of this and wanted to let you know that we take it very seriously. I am following up with the members of my team to ensure that there are no opportunities for error in this regard. Thank you for calling this incident to our attention.
We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Warmest Regards,
Tanya Fleming

Been to The Westin Palo Alto? Share your experiences!