“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 24 hotels in Palo Alto
Newark, New Jersey
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

This was my second stay at this hotel. It is by far the finest Westin hotel in my experience. It is perfect in nearly every regard except for two minor points. Finding a room with an electrical outlet by the nightstands was a challenge and had to be rigged with an extension cord. Second, I could not use mirroring off my iPad to the flat panel TV.

Otherwise, the in-room refrigerator, coffee maker, great linens, towels and amenities were terrific. It's very pricey, but it's Palo Alto, CA. The service makes up for it. I was impressed that the pool was comfortably heated at the end of November.

415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel manager and staff are very nice, however the food and room quality leave a lot to be desired. We arrived late on Friday and hadn't eaten. The hotel restaurant ws open for about 20 minutes, so we stopped in to grab a bite. The food was horrible. It was late, so we had to order off of a small menu. My husband had a burger and I had fondue. The food had obviously been sitting around for hours - fries were mushy, burger was overcooked, fondue was lumpy. When we got back to our room, we noticed that the bed was soft and lumpy. We were too tired to move, so we stayed. Both of us had back aches in the morning. We requested to be moved, which we were to another room. The bed was fine there. The shower was a very small stall, and one of the shower heads didn't work. The housekeeping staff didn't leave us with water and neglected to stock shampoo & conditioner.

Normally, one of these things is tolerable, but altogether it indicates to me that the hotel isn't being maintained. If you decide to stay, make sure you request a room with a newer bed and one that doesn't face the road - it was very noisy in the morning.

The hotel manager did take the bad meal off of our bill, so kudos to her for doing the right thing.

Room Tip: Request a room that doesn't face the road and has a newer bed. also ask if there are any bathroo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear MexicoInFebruary,
Thank you for your feedback via Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to hear that we failed to live up to expecations during this visit, it must have been most disappointing. Please know that this is not at all the norm for our hotel and we will do all that we can to remedy the situation so that subsequent guests don't experience the same. I am pleased that your food charge was removed from your bill. I would really appreciate it if you would reach out to me with your name so that I can identify which room has the lumpy mattress and further make amends. Thank you again for the feedback as it can only help us to improve.
Warmest Regards,
Tanya Fleming
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I just noticed I got wrongly charge $40 on my credit card. Funnily, the only reason I noticed this is because this week I stayed in ANOTHER Westin and noticed again a wrong charge of $70. Both charges are dropped after I complained about the second charge through email. But this is very disturbing. Do I need to verify online my credit card charges every time? And I don't know if I should blame Westin Palo Alto or Westin in general, since it happened twice in my two stays in two different locations.

Dear LujunFang,
Thank you for your review of the Westin Palo Alto. I am very sorry to hear of this and wanted to let you know that we take it very seriously. I am following up with the members of my team to ensure that there are no opportunities for error in this regard. Thank you for calling this incident to our attention.
We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Warmest Regards,
Tanya Fleming
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed at the Westin Palo Alto recently for a wedding. There is nothing outstanding about the Westin, but there's nothing negative either. It's in a great location. The rooms are great. The service was great. The bed was comfortable and I enjoyed a wonderful restful sleep. The gym is adequate for a hotel. The pool looked great, but I didn't have time to make it out there.

I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We were here on business & used limited facilities, so can only tell you about that. The bedrooms were very spacious and do too was the bathroom. I returned to my room after the first night and house keeping had not visited my room, so I requested they did. Breakfast was superb and there was plenty of choice from th buffet to a la carte. Service was good. The bar closes at 23.45 so don't stay here if you want a late drink.

The hotel was well located for Silicon Valley and the Stanford Mall and, of course the Uni. Certainly would return.

Lompoc, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Park the car and leave it. The Westin is conveniently located with walking distance of Stanford University (across the street) University Ave. shops and restaurants, Stanford Mall (Macy's, Bloomingdales, Microsoft and Apple stores etc.), Town & Country shopping center (more shops and restaurants) and Cal Train. We used SPG points and enjoyed their pool, cozy bar, and great location to visit our son and his wife.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stay here annually when I travel for work, and this place never lets me down. The front desk staff are the best and the most helpful. The valet parking attendants are the friendliest and most professional. The rooms are so very nice and spacious, clean and so relaxing. I cannot think of anything bad to say about this hotel at all!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Palo Alto? Share your experiences!