“Good American Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 313 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: American, Bakery, Contemporary, Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero Road
Singapore, Singapore
“Good American Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is my second time in this restaurant for brunch and it was again packed, lucky for us we had placed a reservation for a table a day earlier. The Camino Breakfast of two eggs, toast, cottage potatoes and country ham came out excellent, but the portion was really huge that two persons can actually share it. My friend had the French omelette and harvest greens and he told me it was yummy too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Basic Rotisserie Chicken & Breads”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I pick up bread from the bakery once every week or two. They only have baguettes on certain days, and if you get there after 12 noon, they are mostly sold out!

As for the restaurant, I'm not a fan. It's overpriced rotisserie chicken, which I can make at home. So their menu doesn't excite me. I suppose if you don't cook it would be a pleasure, and they do have family meals to go if you call ahead.

Visited April 2013
Fremont, California
“Great Dinners - Three Times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have been to the Mayfield Cafe (not to be confused with the Bakery next door) three times, and have not been disappointed on any visit. Located in the busy Palo Alto Town & Country shopping center, parking can sometimes be a challenge. One may need to park around the corner in the center and walk a little, but that is not a problem considering the wonderful food served here. As this is not a large restaurant, reservations at prime time are necessary to avoid a wait.

The menu is small, but expertly prepared with only the best ingredients. There is only one nightly special, which one of us has ended up ordering each time we went there, and at no time were we disappointed. My husband ordered the ribs on Rib Night – and said that they were the best that he had had in a restaurant in years. My favorite dish is the Roast Chicken that is on the standard menu. It is slightly smoky and the skin is extra crisp, and the chicken jus is absolutely the best I have ever had. I use their absolutely fantastic homemade sourdough bread to sop up every bit. This is a marvelous restaurant, one that I will continue to enjoy as often as possible.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
USA
“Would not go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had a mid-week late breakfast at the Mayfield Cafe. Granted we ordered the Camino Breakfast which is 2 eggs, cottage potatoes, toast, & ham or bacon - not the most creative item. However, the bacon was quite thick, tough, and mostly fat. I asked for bread (not toast) because I had heard their breads are great. I received bread, but it could have been sliced wheat bread from a grocery store - not at all exceptional or interesting. After you order, you are brought a plate of four madelines. We tasted one, and it was okay but not at all what we want at breakfast; I really wish they had served something more along the lines of a biscuit or scone. The cost for two breakfasts and one cup of coffee was $31.50 before tip & tax - expensive for what it was (thank goodness we had an OpenTable $20 coupon).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Tasty food and easy location. Not much inside seating so keep that in mind if it's raining you may be eating in your
Your car. Bakery items wonderful, but bfast sandwiches were reheated from earlier in the day. Coffee was terrific. Why must this review be so long???

Visited April 2013