“Basic Rotisserie Chicken & Breads” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mayfield Bakery & Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 313 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: American, Bakery, Contemporary, Café
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero Road
San Francisco, California
“Basic Rotisserie Chicken & Breads”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I pick up bread from the bakery once every week or two. They only have baguettes on certain days, and if you get there after 12 noon, they are mostly sold out!

As for the restaurant, I'm not a fan. It's overpriced rotisserie chicken, which I can make at home. So their menu doesn't excite me. I suppose if you don't cook it would be a pleasure, and they do have family meals to go if you call ahead.

Visited April 2013

Fremont, California
“Great Dinners - Three Times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have been to the Mayfield Cafe (not to be confused with the Bakery next door) three times, and have not been disappointed on any visit. Located in the busy Palo Alto Town & Country shopping center, parking can sometimes be a challenge. One may need to park around the corner in the center and walk a little, but that is not a problem considering the wonderful food served here. As this is not a large restaurant, reservations at prime time are necessary to avoid a wait.

The menu is small, but expertly prepared with only the best ingredients. There is only one nightly special, which one of us has ended up ordering each time we went there, and at no time were we disappointed. My husband ordered the ribs on Rib Night – and said that they were the best that he had had in a restaurant in years. My favorite dish is the Roast Chicken that is on the standard menu. It is slightly smoky and the skin is extra crisp, and the chicken jus is absolutely the best I have ever had. I use their absolutely fantastic homemade sourdough bread to sop up every bit. This is a marvelous restaurant, one that I will continue to enjoy as often as possible.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
USA
“Would not go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had a mid-week late breakfast at the Mayfield Cafe. Granted we ordered the Camino Breakfast which is 2 eggs, cottage potatoes, toast, & ham or bacon - not the most creative item. However, the bacon was quite thick, tough, and mostly fat. I asked for bread (not toast) because I had heard their breads are great. I received bread, but it could have been sliced wheat bread from a grocery store - not at all exceptional or interesting. After you order, you are brought a plate of four madelines. We tasted one, and it was okay but not at all what we want at breakfast; I really wish they had served something more along the lines of a biscuit or scone. The cost for two breakfasts and one cup of coffee was $31.50 before tip & tax - expensive for what it was (thank goodness we had an OpenTable $20 coupon).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Tasty food and easy location. Not much inside seating so keep that in mind if it's raining you may be eating in your
Your car. Bakery items wonderful, but bfast sandwiches were reheated from earlier in the day. Coffee was terrific. Why must this review be so long???

Visited April 2013
Palo Alto, California
“Break out of the Breakfast Rut!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

In Palo Alto, Joanie's is always a favorite for breakfast, but I wanted to try something new and took a friend from out of town to Mayfield yesterday. I had been to the restaurant for dinner and it always feel a wee bit too dark, although the food is usually good. In the morning the restaurant has a much cheerier feeling with sun streaming in the windows. This is not a huge menu with every option of omelette and pancake. It is a well chosen menu with pancakes, brioche French toast, a French omelette, a scrambled egg dish, oatmeal, and a few other options. You can also order a la carte. They source their food from local suppliers which are listed on the menu. The bacon is especially good. The wait staff was prompt but unobtrusive, letting my friend and I catch up over several coffee/tea refills. This is a lovely, sophisticated spot for breakfast or brunch. Kids can probably make do with the pancakes or by ordering breakfast pastries. I went on a weekday and there were no kids about. I'm sure there are on weekends and there is some outdoor seating which is nice for families or parties with dogs. Be aware that the high school directly across the street starts at 8:15 so you might want to time your visit carefully if you go during the week, as the traffic is crazy making from 7:45-8:15 with kids arriving.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere