“Extraordinary- an experience like no other” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Sunnyvale, California
“Extraordinary- an experience like no other”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I've eaten at a few top places including French Laundry, Michael Mina and Manresa, but it is Baume that stands out the most. We've now eaten there twice and both times were amazing. Personally I love the theatricallity and surprise as each wine and each course is introduced. Not only is the food expertly prepared and the wine perfectly matched, but the creations are new and exciting each time. This is the place to go for innovative, creative, modern cuisine with one surprise after another. Where else do they bring out lemon and dry ice to cleanse/freshen the air between courses? With each course you will be wondering what is coming next, and they really build the suspense. Also, when we arrived the second time to dine they servers greeted us by name and said "welcome back". They tracked what our menu was from our previous experience and ensured us that they would make sure we didn't eat any repeat dishes this time!

+ To get the full experience I recommend you go on an empty stomach as the minimum menu is about 10 courses.
+ Bring a camera, the food is really photo worthy
+ Go for the wine pairing, you will not be dissappointed. The wine servings are generous, so you can even share it. (I've never done the "premium" wine pairing. The regular one was amazing enough)
+ Unlike French Laundry and some others, getting reservations is not difficult. We called that day and they were able to seat us the same evening, twice.
+ Not to ruin the surprise, but the cute discs that look like mints at the beginning are actually towels. They will come by with hot water to "activate" them. We wish someone had warned us as we put them in our mouths expecting them to dissolve. It ended up being a very funny way to start the dinner. ; )

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank travelcat080

San Jose, CA
“Very expensive, tasty and intriguing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We decided to splurge on our wedding anniversary - and a big splurge it was!
You can select between a "small" and a "big" menu, where the chef constantly sends out small, one-or-two bite size, exquisite creations.
There are no more details - whatever is in the works is what you get. They did ask what food we completely would not eat - it was any lamb meat, goat cheese and cilantro for me. My hubby eats everything.
For almost $400 without wine, for the "big" menu, we had very tasty samples, where I got replacements for any of the forbidden items.
The signature dish, 62 degrees egg, is very surprising - seems like we know everything about soft boiled eggs, but actually we do not. The white is firm but soft and the yolk is perfectly liquid.
The "small salad" (I think that was the name of this dish) was (I know this is not an adjective for food) funny. think baby zucchini and cherry tomato - now get *their* "baby" version, and put 5 or 6 of these on small rectangular tray. spray them once with tarragon mist, and call it a salad. Told you it was "funny".
I loved the curry green beans - perfectly steamed green beans, with freeze dry curry sauce which melted slowly on the beans and in my mouth.
The desert was a bowl of several items, quite surprising in the combination of flavors and textures.
The service was impeccable - attentive but not hovering, friendly and respectful.
I was very impressed with the variety of plates and silverware - each dish was served on a plate that somehow was fitted to the food, and the silverware was different per dish, again in a very coordinated and well thought way.
This was an evening to remember, well worth the cost - however it will be a long while before we can afford to visit again.

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank Mia_Sh
“Great innovative and tasting food in nice atmosphere, service could improve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We went to Baume on the special occasion of my birthday. We had heard a lot of positive comments about it and their recent second michelin star was a great motivator as well. Overall, our experience was great. There is only a 14-course menu and it is pricey but the food is worth it. The chef plays with innovative ways to present known ingredients and introduce new tastes. Loved the food experience. Each dish was small enough that we never felt full and were able to enjoy the whole menu. The atmosphere was nice and they did a great job with a nice setup in a palo alto location that was not designed for a high end place like this.

On the negative, I would note that the service was simply too fast. The whole menu was served in about 2 hours. For our European standards, that is just too fast and we felt rushed. We had barely finished a dish that it was removed and a new one brought about.

The other key negative for me was the cheese course. The cheese optons were great but we were told we could only pick so many. This is simply not how it is done in 2-star michelin restaurants in Europe. No one will take the whole set but as a rule of politeness, you are not given a limit. It is unfortunate specially when the chef is French so he clearly should know the standards back home.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
2 Thank cdg2sfo
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic restaurant for the connoisseurs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We didn't expect this extraordinary dinner that we had in this restaurant. We have been travelling all our live and when we booked our reservation we were stunned by the price that they informed us we would have to pay. But after we had our dinner we understood that this was art, finesse, knowledge and dedication for this difficult mission, which was to satisfy difficult customers. The mission was perfectly accomplished and the 14 different courses that we had were of the highest level possible, with pratically enjoyed every minute we spent over there and we will certainly go back as soon as we have the oppportunity to go back to Palo Alto.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank jmLondon845
Buckingham, Pennsylvania
“I cannot believe how bad this dinner was”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I knew it would be expensive and was told it was a fabulous restaurant by a friend. I don't mind spending money on delicious food, but we were served lots of foam and carrot shavings and many kinds of powders. It was mostly tasteless vegetables and very little meat or fish. Out of 12 courses, the only thing I could truly say was delicious was 2 bites of filet mignon. Some things I would consider "good" but most was just bad. Thank goodness they gave us a bread basket, though the bread was not even warm nor particularly good. We paid $700 for the two of us and I AM STILL HUNGRY. I would never recommend this place. It was all show. I don't know how they call themselves a French restaurant. We had to laugh at how bad it was. I was waiting for Candid Camera to show up. If you really enjoy food, you won't like this place.

• Visited August 2012