“Returning to My Favorite Hotel: Could it be as good as I remembered?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Offers & Announcements
30% Off 3rd Night
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Palo Alto
British Columbia, Canada
“Returning to My Favorite Hotel: Could it be as good as I remembered?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

When I first stayed at the Garden Court in Spring 2012, it was a brand new discovery (and a welcome relief from suburban-style hotels in the Mt View area). Recently, I had the opportunity to stay at The Garden Court again -- but this time for a family event in the SF Bay area.

I wondered if I would like it as much the second time around? The stakes were high -- this time we had booked several rooms, and I had told family how wonderful it was....

Fortunately, the answer is "Yes". It was just as beautiful as I remembered. We stayed in a sunny room with huge French doors across one wall opening onto a balcony with a street view. Having real doors that open onto a balcony you can step out onto is so lovely. My husband sat on the balcony and worked on his laptop. He chatted with his Dad, while they enjoyed watching the quiet foot traffic on the street below.

What makes this hotel so good? In short, I love the classic design, the smart colour scheme, the artwork, the architecture and the gracious service. (I left a thank you note and tip for the cleaning staff.)

I also love the location -- it is so pedestrian-friendly. Palo Alto has so many great shops and restaurants -- all within walking distance of the hotel. As in my first review, I found it to be a romantic place to relax and recharge!

I highly recommend it and can't wait to return -- again!

Room Tip: Shhh... The streetside rooms are quieter than the rooms which face onto the courtyard (where they of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have stayed at the Garden Court Hotel many times and have loved each one. The staff is friendly and efficient. The location in the heart of downtown Palo Alto is ideal. The rooms are neat, clean and wonderfully decorated. But the best part of all are the beds. Some of the best hotel beds I have ever slept in. So soft and comfortable! If you want a good night's rest, check in here! The morning coffee and pastries and excellent too!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have stayed at the Garden Court over 10 times
The staff is terrific and very helpful.
They organized an onsite 3 day meeting for and it went flawlessly.
The restaurant attached Il Fornaio is a great Italian restaurant.
The best part about the Garden Court is the location in downtown Palo Alto, you can walk to everything you need!

Room Tip: Request a patio/garden view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed at the Garden Court over Labor Day weekend. This was the perfect time to stay, as this is a business hotel, and there aren't many business travelers on a holiday weekend. I called ahead to make a reservation, as I had a gift certificate. Jose was extremely helpful, and pre-blocked a great room for me. Since it was the weekend, I parked in the lot right next door to the hotel for FREE! Free parking on the weekends. I was ready and prepared to pay the $17 valet, but since self parking was free, I took advantage of it. Check-in process was quick, no problems. Arrived to the room, and it was one of the best I have seen. I work for a 5-Diamond hotel, and this room was definitely up to those standards. The fresh fruit bowl in your room was a nice touch, as was the Molten Brown amenities. The lotion was amazing....I wish I could have taken home 20 extra bottles of the lotion! The wireless internet didn't work for some reason, but I logged on to the restaurants free WiFi and it worked just fine. Our room had a balcony overlooking the courtyard. The King bed was huge and comfortable. My roommate was on the sofabed. We called housekeeping to come make up the bed. They arrived within 5 minutes. She brought a memory foam mattress topper to put on the sofa-bed mattress. This made the sofa bed almost as comfortable as my King bed! Very nice touch. When I felt the sofa-bed mattress by itself, I was a little worried because it felt awful! Note for management: I could not find the "Guest Services Book" explaining the amenities of the hotel. There was also no ice-bucket in the room, and I did not see an ice-machine on the floor. When we left Monday morning, there were pastries and coffee in the hallway on each floor. Delicious chocolate croissants. In the room, there was a huge 52 inch flat screen TV. We walked 3 blocks to the 7-11 and rented a movie at the RedBox. I was disappointed there was no DVD player. I even called the front desk. Oh well. I ended up watching the movie on my laptop. Seeing that the DVD player would be the only problem I had, this hotel definitely deserves the 5-star rating I gave it. From the service, to the quality and comfort of the room, the Garden Court in Palo Alto is a fantastic, and convenient, place to stay when visiting Palo Alto or even San Francisco. If you stay here, do me a favor.....bring home the Molten Brown lotion.....you will love it!

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is always nice. If you do need a room with a sofa-bed, don't let this bot...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Havertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

The room was over the top in luxury, they served coffee and tea on our floor each morning with yummy pastries and the bathroom was to die for... Seriously Carera marble and a rainfall shower head, gardenias and chocolate at night with bed turn down service. Amazingly wonderful pampered experience

• Stayed August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

a small boutique hotel in downtown Palo Alto. Extremely friendly staff, charming, though smallish rooms; most comfortable bed I've been in a hotel. lovely amenities except for the stinginess of the soap: only one bar which was strange. fabulous continental breakfast with a great choice of teas on each floor and in the lobby. Only complaint is that the least expensive rooms come on with showers; there are no bathtubs in these rooms and women travelers especially tend to like bathtubs no matter how grand the shower. and, if you are willing to move your car in the morning, there is plenty of parking on the street and in the lots at night...a real bargain in Palo Alto! Imagine that the rooms on the street are quieter than the rooms on the courtyard even though the views are nicer on the courtyard

Room Tip: the larger room are more costly and the nore costly rooms have bathtubs. Rooms facing the street ma...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My welcome was warm and the room was fine...nothing grand. I enjoyed overlooking the garden and watching staff set up for different weekend events. The lack of a coffeemaker in the room is my only complaint; although the coffee/pastries were just down the hall starting early in the AM, it meant I had to get up and get dressed to get some java. My checkout was equally as pleasant. Price for room a bit steep fir wgat you get. Downtown Palo Alto is a nice weekend visit, too....lots to do & great restos. 10 min walk from Stanford Shopping Center.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Garden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!