“Five stars for an awesome happy hour” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pampas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 273 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Brazilian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: University Ave
Transit: The Palo Alto Caltrain stop is directly across the street.
Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
“Five stars for an awesome happy hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Ooooh yeah. Five stars for an awesome happy hour (only 5-6:30 though!) where you get $6 cocktails. $6! And they are strong, friends. Mucho strong. Try the canela natal if you're in the mood for something sweet and slightly tart. That cinnamon tequila will revolutionize your ideas about both cinnamon and tequila. Yummmmmmm

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Palo Alto, California
“Worst dining experience ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I will never come back or recommend this restaurant. We arrived a bit late on Saturday, around 9:30pm but we were told we could eat and were offered a seat.
First impression: the music was TERRIBLY loud. We immediately asked to be seated as far away from the band as possible. Even then, I couldn't here anything the waiters were telling me. It literally gave me a headache.
There are 3 options available on the menu: a 45 dollars option of various meat possibilities and side bar unlimited, a 27 dollar of side bar unlimited, or "à la carte". Since there are many things I cannot eat (dairy, gluten) and I wasn't that hungry, I asked for an Entrée. The waiter comes back and tells me that's not possible, that the kitchen's aren't making that anymore. Then why did they not inform us of this upon arrival? I am able to negotiate the meat-only for the price of the 27 dollar unlimited side bar (I absolutely did not want to eat what was proposed at the side-bar - it was very basic things such as salad, cucumber... very cheap stuff and very expensive for what it was).
And what happened next was the most awful experience I have ever had in a restaurant - and I go out a lot and have been to many places. The waiters were rude and forcing us to eat our meat very quickly, coming over and over again to serve us more although we had clearly told them to go slower, that we didn't want our first portions to get cold, and that we were waiting for our wine. They also totally ignored the fact that we had put the red sign on the table which means that the waiters are supposed to stop serving the meat and wait. After having to tell them to stop a few times, it was clear that they had decided that their day was over and that they wanted us to hurry up and leave. We did not feel comfortable at all, and were being rushed through our dinner. My friend who had taken the meat and side bar unlimited option was told 5minutes after arriving that the side bar was closing, so that he should take whatever he wanted now.
We were incredulous.
We decided to leave because this was too much, waiters were clearly rude and what's more, we could here them laughing at us nearby.
Why were we not told that it was to late to eat, if it was to be rushed and treated this way in the end? We had ordered cocktails, a bottle of wine, a 47 dollar menu option and a 27 dollar menu one...a total of 150 dollars! I still cannot believe this has happened.
So we decided to leave and not to finish the meat that they had forced into our plates. We therefore explain to the waiter that we were not feeling comfortable and that we wished to leave, so that they please put our meat in boxes to go. The waiter answers that they don't do to-go, that it's not the house policy, and that they have no container to put our meat in. However, we had seen 5 minutes earlier a waitress with a box to-go pass by....
That was it. We started raising our voices and complaining about everything that had gone wrong since the beginning, since we were clearly being taken as fools. The waiter went to talk with his manager, and when he came back he brought boxes with him so we could pack our meat. Not once did the manager come to see what was wrong.
150 dollars for a terrible service and for flagrant lack of respect. Oh and the meat.... it's just meat and way too greasy. Nothing incredible. There are much better and cheaper restaurants in Palo Alto, so stay far from this one.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Great steaks and nice cocktails!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We went here for dinner and the food was amazing! But you should not eat at all the day you plan to come here. The steaks are perfectly done - but you will eat way too much! The appetizers were a bit fancy, but very tasty.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
California
“Valentine's Dinner at Pampas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was able to get a table here last minute on Valentine's Day, so I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I surprised. As we walked in the door, I was handed a beautiful long stemmed rose. We were seated near the front door, but seeing it was Valentines Day, I was surprised we were even able to get a table. They had white table cloths with candles and brick walls. The place is large, but the seating areas were divided into different sections, giving it an intimate feel. The servers were very attentive.
My husband got the meet and salad bar and truly enjoyed the variety of treats. I tried the ceviche and had a stuffed acorn squash (probably the best one I have ever had). I had one of their signature margaritas and it was delicious.
The only negative would be the latte I had after dinner. It tasted bland and the glass was served 3/4 filled. Wouldn't hold that against them, as that is not what they are know for.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California
“A lot of food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Came here for dinner with friends, there was a lot of food. I know you can stop when ever you want, but how can you turn down the well roasted meats?

All i wanted to do was to try one of each type. And i have to say, i failed! The best was the roasted pineapple. Had two slices!