“Nice stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Palmdale
Escondido, California
“Nice stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I checked in at the Best Western Plus John Jay Inn and Suites at around 6:00 p.m. It only took about two minutes to get the keys to our room, which had a king bed. The bed was comfortable, and the room was clean. There was no smell of tobacco smoke. (We were in room 203.) All staff encountered during our stay were friendly and courteous. The fitness center had a True treadmill, and other basic equipment. The hotel's washer and dryer were located in the fitness room, so it was somewhat noisy when people's clothes were being laundered. The parking lot got full by 10:00 p.m., but we did stay on a Saturday evening. The free breakfast in the morning was okay. The check out only took a little over a minute. We will be staying here again at this Best Western when in the Palmdale area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I checked in late in the night (~9PM) since I was hanging out with family. I was given a room 307 and upon entering I was assaulted with the smell of cigarette smoke. I requested a non-smoking room since I have asthma and this room was unacceptable! My boyfriend pointed out to me however that for whatever reason this room did not have a no smoking sign however the front desk told me the entire hotel was non-smoking.

They were very nice when I complained and gave me another room, 209 which although did not reek as much of smoke still had a strong enough smell that was unacceptable considering I have asthma. When I went to complain for another room, they just smiled again and said are rooms are all non-smoking, and that those were the only rooms they had left. Clearly they were aware the rooms were smoke scented since they were the only two left!

I asked for a refund which they kindly gave with no problems. However I am not staying at this place again, I expect a lot more from a Best Western Plus!

Room Tip: Don't go to room 209 or 307
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Roy P, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS John Jay Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I apologize for not providing you with a better room. Although we have non-smoking rooms, some guests ignore it and smoke in the room anyway causing problems for our non-smoking guests. And because we were sold out this weekend, we did not have many options to move you to a better room. I am glad the front desk clerk refunded you the money. And I hope you were able to find a room at another property.
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very nice and quiet, I have enjoyed both of my multi-day stays here while I get medical care. The staff are very helpful, I've enjoyed being here. My only criticism is for a "plus" Best Western, the breakfast did not include eggs or bacon/sausage. The gym is well equipted.

Room Tip: No restaurant...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The room looked like Norman Bates would have enjoyed staying there... TV sets stuck in the 70's.. Just very very old looking..Needs an entire refurbishing to bring it up to modern times.. No wireless internet in room, and my room made gurgling noises, sounded like a coffee machine was on inside the room, I never did figure out where it came from.. and very limited parking.. most guests had to pull up on a dirt mound in front of hotel over a curb...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS John Jay Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!