“Palm Springs getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Las Vegas
“Palm Springs getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Although it is not brand new, I imagine it was new in the 60's when celebrities first started coming so it has a history. I came with my hiking buddies and we chose it based on location and price. It is clean, comfortable, with nice heated pool with jacussi, and has a great location, close to town and restaurants. True the bathtub drained slowly but it is clean and has lots of hot water with new showerhead. Special towels were provided for the pool without asking. Everyone was friendly and helpful. They made good suggestions about restaurants and gave good directions to the outlet mall and date farm. Some of our hikes were so close that they were right down the street. We enjoyed our stay very much getting the rest we needed after each day of our three day trip. The complimentary breakfast was great with eggs, a variety of cereals, and waffles. And the price is right. Checkin and out was quick and painless. I would recommend this hotel and gladly return. It is not only good for business and pleasure, it is a great family hotel.

Room Tip: If on second floor get room close to the elevator,
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Great place!!Especially for the $$..Linda helped us at check in and check out,she was extremely helpful, pleasant and professional. The room was clean and had plenty of towels,toiletries and coffee.Huge pool and jacuzzi with plenty of chairs.Complementary Breakfast was a nice extra.

• Stayed December 2014
Clovis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

There is truth to the saying, "You get what you pay for"! I have learned my lesson and will never book a room here again. The hotel is completely aged and it shows. It is in need of some serious renovation. The first room we got had a bathtub that wouldn't drain after one shower so we moved to another room because, "Maintenance has gone home for the day". The second room had different television stations available from the first. Spend the money and stay elsewhere if you can!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

While searching for a hotel in Palm Springs over Thanksgiving weekend, I thought for sure that rates would be high for all hotels no matter the stars. I was happily surprised that this was not the case. I searched various hotel rates over several internet companies and found the rate and amenities to be good. I researched the positive and negative comments and then decided to select this hotel.

My first experience was arriving about 90 minutes before check-in. I had seen a bad comment posted previously about the hotel not allowing a 30 minute early check-in...not true this time. As I walked into the lobby the front desk clerk asked politely if I was checking in. When I asked if I could, she happily obliged. The check-in process held no surprises and was brief. She made a room recommendation and gave me the type and style I reserved.

The stay was comfortable and worth the value I paid. Clean room, comfortable beds, free breakfast, clean heated pool and jacuzzi. Was here for 4 days and no issues.

Check-out lasted about long enough for me to drop my keys and the clerk asking me if everything was alright and confirmed I prepayed and a thank you, come again.

Would I recommend this hotel...yes. On this trip for me, I found the issues described in the negative comments not to be an issue at all.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Spent two days and really had a good time in Palm Springs. Wonderful old vintage hotel. We were on the 2nd floor. There was a small elevator at the center of the complex which was nice in transporting our luggage.

As with any older facility there were some quirks that had to be adjusted for during our stay. We quickly learned the A/C and heating regulation were handled at the front office. So once certain temperatures were reached outside the heat or A/C were turned on. So if you wanted cool air in the evening you were out of luck-- only heat. We quickly learned to turn off the A/C in the evening to try to keep the room from feeling like a sauna in the middle of the night.

Nice small pool and whirlpool. Co-located by the pool for the morning.

Downtown Palm Springs was about 1/2 mile up the road. 1/2 mile down the road was Elmer's dinner type restaurant we walked to every morning. Expect a short wait-- was always packed with locals and tourist alike by 9am.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have spent several days at the Vagabond Inn in Palm Springs, CA. I have chosen this older motel on the basis of value for money and the friendliness of the general manager, Lynda. She is always upbeat and happy . . . a very good characteristic.

This older style motel has quite large rooms compared to "economy" (Motel 6, etc.) motels in this region. The room is equipped with a microwave oven and refrigerator (which other motels may or may not have).

Free breakfasts and Wi-Fi are included!

My only suggestion to the owner is that if she is planning to modernise the motel in any way, she should start with the televisions. New Samsungs are far better than what exists there now.

In any event, this motel is like a "blast to the past", in the sense that it is a 60s-style motel quite suitable to the local (Palm Springs) mood and manner.

Tom Keller
[Real customer]

Room Tip: Ask for your require bed firmness.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Gardena, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I love this Inn! At the end of the strip, near the Moorton Botanic Garden it is more rural than downtown. Rooms are clean, beds are comfy and the continental breakfast is to die for! Jean and Lucy, in the snack area, buzz around making sure everything is filled up and restocked. Not an easy task when you have 20 hungry people trying to get to the waffle machine. Lynda will call a taxi if you need one. I feel so comfortable here. See you guys next November:)

Room Tip: bottom floor away from the pool
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Vagabond Inn Palm Springs? Share your experiences!