“Had a Great stay. We will be back.” 5 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Palm Springs
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1699 South Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Ranked #41 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
yuma
“Had a Great stay. We will be back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

My Family had a great time at this hotel. We enjoyed the clean and comfortable room as well as the very well maintained pool. The front desk staff was very helpful and courteous. We requested a wi-fi room and a early check-in which they were more than happy to accommodate us with and the night auditor Joseph was full of information on what to do with the family during our stay. We loved it and will be back again.

Room Tip: Allways call them direct and do not go thru 3rd party.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here outside of US school holidays so it's been really quiet. This hotel is great value for the money. Reception staff extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms very good and clean. Extra towels were provided when we asked. Some noise from pool in the evening but not that bad or too late and we weren't too near. Breakfast basic but we enjoyed making the waffles and there was a choose of cereal, bagels, toast, boiled eggs, juices and coffee. Pool area nice and clean too. Good location with short drive to main street and the aerial tramway, Indian canyons, lots of restaurants to choose from. We extended our stay and would come back or use other Vagabonds based on this experience. It's good value, simple!

• Stayed June 2011
Sherman Oaks, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Check-in was slow. The room was large, had nice beds, and a good shower. Refrigerator and microwave worked fine. Free breakfast was make your own waffles (a new experience) and good coffee. Plenty of free parking. Room was next to stairs and noisy as hell. The motel was full and we were unable to change rooms. Free internet signal only reaches the front half of the motel and pool area. Pictures on internet were mostly accurate. I will try my luck somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Get room close to lobby and away from stairs.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I don't understand some people in their review. They 5 star level environment from a 2 star hotel with the price to match. Seriously, they intentionally search on the lowest rates, with non-spa/resort like amenities and want a Ritz Carlon like perfection. Geez. My review is honest and know now to set my expectations so sign.

Room: I stay on 302. Has a single King sized bed. Which is what I opted for. Granted the hotel is older....you can see this in the pictures and in person. But I guarantee it is one of the better "older" independent hotels that did it on its own. Yes some have multi million dollar renovations and the backing from huge chains.
Anyways, the good:
- The room and bathroom was clean, and was maintained regularly by housekeeping.
- No old room smell. Love it.
- The AC worked well too.
- The rooms use an actual KEY, not the card reader types.
- I like the fridge and microwave being the room...big plus.
- The black out curtains are great too.

On the other end,
- the beds aren't the best, but I like firm.
- The TV isn't a flat panel, but it still served its purpose.
- The overall water pressure is weak...just keep that in mind, but still hot all the time.
- On windy days, the window screens will rattle. They don't fit snuggly.
- The front door will have a little gap. Probably need to adjust the baseboard and get the that rubber door thingy at the bottom.

Staff/Office Very nice folks. they always said hi, and on a few occassions I just went in and chatted with them. The night before my departure, I wanted to print out my airline boarding passes, and they graciously let me use their main work computer to log on and print my passes. Way cool.

Wireless Wi-Fi: it is weak. You can get some reception if you situate yourself in some part of the room. Oddly enough, I get better signal from the Best Wester Inn, just next door...but their wifi is protected and need a password. Oh well. Good thing I have special software and connect where I can use my Blackberry cell phone 3G internet data stream to drive my laptops internet access. If I had access to their wireless router, I could probably fix it. lol.

Pool: didn't use it. Being Memorial day weekend, lots of kids and family. I preferred going to the pubs/restaurants and searching for great happy hour deals. lol. Though, I can see why the rooms by the pool are noisy...I choose mine near the road/entrance for this reason.

Breakfast: very basic. Bagel,waffles, coffee, cereal, toast. I was never into the continental breakfasts. So I preferred the nearby restaurants to get a cooked meal. There are plenty around.

Other than that....I had a great 3 night stay there. If you're on a budget, but want a decent place, try this out. Also keep in mind EVERY HOTEL will have some problems, so don't stereotype small hotels as bad value overall. Come on folks...grow up.

Room Tip: Third floor and rooms away form pool.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Palm Springs, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

I have never been treated as rudely and unsympathetically as I was by the night manager of the Palm Springs Vagabond Inn early on the morning of May 29, 2011.

I returned to the hotel shortly after 2:00 a.m. after spending an evening with friends to find that despite having paid for my room in advance there was no place to park anywhere on the grounds of the property.

The night manager implied it was my fault for returning late and said that all the other guests, many of whom arrived in multiple vehicles, had gotten there before me. I had been checked in since Friday May 27.

He threatened to call the police, have me evicted and my car towed from in front of the office if I didn't shut up and do as he said.

What kind of way to run a business is that?

I was told to park across the street in another business's lot or on the, very poorly lit, street.

This was unacceptable. It was anything but customer service. The attitude of this man was callous to say the least. Once Vagabond Inn had my money they didn't give a damn about how I felt as their "guest."

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Room was large, beds comfortable and clean. Drawbacks were that room was at top of stairs (lots of foot traffic) and by the pool. Pool is open until 11:00pm and kids were screaming up to the minute it closed. Ask for a room in the building no where near the pool if you want to go to sleep earlier. Breakfast was good, (danishes, hard boiled eggs, toast and cereal) parking free, and front desk very nice and helpful. For the price would stay here again -just not near the pool.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
gojodio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

We stayed 2 nights in Palm Springs. The first night was at Caliente Tropics. The 2nd night at this hotel, Vagabond Inn. Wow, we wished we'd paid the extra and stayed at Caliente. This hotel is old, falling apart, beds were extremely uncomfortable, linens were awful, pillows were obviously quite old. Wifi doesn't work at this hotel, if that's of interest to you. We were VERY disappointed with this hotel. The front desk staff was extremely NON customer service friendly. When I went to check in, she was talking with some vendors who were trying to sell her on coffee makers. She never acknowledged me. I stood there for a good 5 minutes until a man came from the back and started to help me. Don't customers come before vendors?? I train Customer Service to a very large corporation and this would not be tolerated. Bad hotel, bad staff. The only thing going for this place was the free continental breakfast.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Vagabond Inn Palm Springs? Share your experiences!