I had my first stay at the Viceroy in Palm Springs with a group of ten people. Pulling up to the property you immediately know this isn't your normal hotel. The front door was very tough to identify. The property is a series of structures linked together inside the closed perimeter. From the outside you think it's a small boutique hotel. Once inside you realize it occupies nearly 3/4 of a decent sized city block on the edge of a residential area.
the entrance lobby is quite small, again giving the feel of a tiny property. Once you move inside and start to move to your room, do you realize that it actually is a very spacious property. The rooms are both free standing cottages or connected suites within larger buildings. They all open onto courtyards or pools in what are very nice gardens and lawns.
Once you enter the room, the funk begins. The property has been around for years, and the decor is retro all the way. The rooms are bright, tiled, wild patterns, eclectic light fixtures, etc. Despite the age and retro of the property, things are subtely modern and in very good working order.
The Viceroy isn't for everyone. There is a quiet reserve to the property that lends itself to adults only. I wouldn't bring a family or kids here. The rooms are tacky/chic, fun and spacious. The social scene appears to be around the pools, small courtyard pools where people watching wins the day.
If you are exploring Palm Springs and you want an island of funky civility, the Viceroy is for you. Thing Hollywood weekenders, or hipsters from NYC escaping the weather for a weekend. Enjoyed dinner there one night. Food was elegant and tasty, wine list surprisingly light, service just OK.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since its origins in the 1930s, Viceroy Palm Springs has redefined the ultimate Palm Springs Spa Resort experience. Luxuriously updated by Kelly Wearstler to reflect the Hollywood Regency Style popular during the desert’s original glamour era, Viceroy Palm Springs offers first-class personalized and intuitive service and amenities that guarantee a memorable experience. Experience the hotel recognized on Conde Nast’s Hot list of hotels and our Estrella Spa which was voted number 16 of the top 50 Hotel Spas in the US by Conde Nast Traveler 2011. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Viceroy Palm Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viceroy Palm Springs Hotel Palm Springs
- Viceroy Hotel Palm Springs
- Palm Springs Viceroy Hotel