“Palm Springs” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 69 hotels in Palm Springs
S Wales
“Palm Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights during a family holiday in California. Wanted to go back to Palm Springs having visited it with the wife in April 1993 on our first trip to California and we were sold on the area. Booking.Com offered a the best deal and we got the Viceroy at a really good rate for a family room as not many places in Palm Springs could offer family rooms. As with a lot of Californian hotels you end up being charged a daily resort facility rate for using their pool? Viceroy was about $25 a day plus tax.

It was a pleasant experience and the family enjoyed the stay. The room was small for a family room with limited storage space but it was very clean and the beds (2 x Queens) very comfortable. The day we arrived our room was not ready which was a bit frustrating after a 4 hour drive from Las Vegas but the staff were very apologetic. There are 3 pool areas which are usually full by about 10.00am. You can never be sure whether a sun bed is free or not because the guests just leave their towels on them when they leave. 2 of the pools are designated as adults only but this appeared to be ignored by some families without any apparent complaints? They are small but water nice and warm

We didn't eat in the hotel as there were a number of good restaurants nearby that had been recommended - Chop House and Grind Burger Bar did very good food.

Take a trip in the aerial tramway - fantastic view of Palm Springs and surrounding areas.

The Valet car parking team were very friendly and full of useful advice and tips.

Room Tip: You need to request a pool area room for best option.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

652 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Trying to keep this brief... We arrive around 7 or 8 at night, giving car to valet, taken to our room (we reserved two beds, next to pool for the kids to swim as we are able to watch) the room was not near the pool so we are taken to another room, it only had one bed so they say they are going to give us a villa, we didn't really care, but still not by the pool. Ugh. Anyway, as we are there for a cheer competition for my daughter we are now in a hurry, I have to roll all her hair in curlers for the next day, this takes an hour so we order room service, HAIR in the pasta! Nice. Then as we are not eating that, a knock at the door, the valet SIDE-SWIPED my car! Whole side of my new Escalade is damaged and tired is ripped open! They say they will take care of everything but long story short, they hand me an insurance pamphlet and off I'm to go! Wow. So as we are going to bed, checking to make sure everything's looked up- guess what- THERE ARE NO LOCKS on bathroom windows and these are not small bathroom windows, plenty big enough for any person!!! I was so shocked! We were on the ground, not up in a building and surrounded by a neighborhood. And BOTH bathrooms! there was absolutely no locking mechanisms at all! I have 2 small children with me! Next night, no hot water! They send a guy in to fix it and he states while then leaves saying he doesn't know why there's no hot water and have a good night!!! Absolutely no exaggerating here! It was amazing! And our final morning there around 7am our room keys stop working! I actually had to call the manager (who never extended anything to us except a ride to our competition the morning after our car was damaged and actually that wasn't even from the main manager, I never even spoke to the main manager until I called) I was laughing because it was to a comical point with this hotel! And what could I say? That I wouldn't stay there again? They don't care, he didn't care, so I just said (as it's what really matters now-a-days) I'm posting this whole experience on Trip Advisor, let everyone else judge for themselves!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The service was slow, they messed up our orders couple of times. Rooms are small, but comfortable. Food was average. The gardens are amazing for relaxing. The pools are warm. The location is close to a shopping strip, not as good as being in palm desert.

• Stayed April 2013
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Unlike a previous review, my wife and I left the Marriott in Palm Desert after a conference in search of some chilled relaxation at the Viceroy (visited previously for dinner). As we pulled up to the welcoming yellow doors and beautiful desert flowers we felt like we made the right choice. Valet guys professional and efficient (in fact, I'd put them in charge). Room wasn't ready yet, so we decided to have lunch at the pool and wait to be called.

Got the call, got the keys, got the luggage, walked into the room and wondered why our "premium, pool-view" was a ground floor, dark, accessible room. Not impressed, back to the front desk we went. Imagine our shock when we were told that despite of 40 anticipated check outs, that would be are only choice of rooms. When I said that was unacceptable and illogical, our front desk agent, along with our bellmen went to speak to the "manager". They returned with the news that, " we thought you required an accessible room and that in fact was the only one available". Having cleared this up, it would be no problem to find us the room type we booked, only problem is the room was not yet ready and they would call before 3PM.

So my wife and I take a walk into town. Perhaps only 1/2-hour later, I'm pleased to see a call from the hotel, assuming our room was ready. To my dismay, I'm told that yet another mistake had been made and that the original room show would be our only choice. How did we get sentenced to that room I wondered?

I insisted on speaking to the "manager" but was told he was on the phone. I insisted he call me back. Guess who never called back?

So it's now 2.5 hours after we arrive and we're walking back to the hotel with STEAM coming out of my ears. THIS IS RELAXATION? When we arrive, we get the same story from the front desk, that NO other room was possible. When I say I didn't book an accessible room, remind them of their 40 checkouts, insist on the room type I did book and demand to see the manager, off again she goes to find the Wizard behind some curtain. She returns to say he will be out in a few seconds. I stand there for 5 minutes, she disappears and still no "manager".

Finally some man comes out and says he found us another room are we ready with our luggage. No introduction, explanation, apology and then vanishes behind the curtain never to be seen again.

Not only did he ruin our afternoon and put a damper on our arrival, but he's setting an example of how to treat paying guests like nuisances.

So were we surprised to find the place peeling and crumbling away? Not at all. The bathroom's are ancient and more caulking has peeled away than is still in place. The AC, an old through the wall unit, is louder than you can possible imagine and startles you each and every time it kicks on.

And the balcony...I dare the manager to try to open the sliding doors to room 423. It took my wife and I together to pry it open. Most convenient indeed.

In spite of all this, the grounds, waitstaff, view, housekeeping and valets were enough to overcome this manager's attempt to sabotage our few days of relaxation. Tablet hotels and Viceroy management need to get on top of this ASAP.

Room Tip: Make sure a different manager is in charge the day you arrive. Some rooms face a wall, I would avoid...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We chose the Viceroy, even after reading some of the less favorable reviews, simply because the wedding we were attending was at the hotel. Check in was quick and room was ready before check-in time. The room is nicely decorated and a decent size. The shower does have an unusually high water pressure, but I was able to lower it after messing with the knobs for minute. Breakfast was good as was the service. It was a fairly busy weekend and the pools were crowded but we found a bed in the spa area, which was better and more relaxing. The only annoying thing for me was having to call for wash cloths both days. Other than that, I enjoyed my stay and the wedding was beautiful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

If you want to stay in luxury in Palm Springs, do not pick the viceroy. After two days of dingy service and poor quality We were ready to leave. The same afternoon we headed down to the Marriott in Palm Springs and we were overwhelmed with the amazing spectacular views, luxury pools Boatdock and exotic parrots and flamingos flying around the food service is excellent there and it's a much better choice than the Viceroy it's cheaper to.

• Stayed March 2013
ViceroyPalmSprings, Director of Sales at Viceroy Palm Springs, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Divebum2804,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am disappointed to hear about the lackluster service you were provided as we consider it one of our strong suits. If you are willing to provide specific details, please give me a call. I would like to address them with our team so that we can improve upon them moving forward.

Thank you again.

Olivia Prescott
Director of Sales & Catering
Direct: 760-318-3018
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We just loved this Hotel,it was elegant,intimate,and very relaxing.The staff was great as well above anything else.Will try to go back for sure!The location was close to stores and restaurants,and we loved the free use of bikes so we could explore.
We ate at Citron one night and the service and food were both excellent.
The only downfall is that we could only stay 4 nights,I did not want to leave.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tara G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments. I am so glad you had a wonderful stay and the whole team looks forward to your return! Safe Travels ~

Sincerley,
Olivia Prescott
Director of Sales & Catering

Been to Viceroy Palm Springs? Share your experiences!