“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Melbourne, Australia
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

I really wanted to write a good review about this property because the staff were great and the manager Vanessa very helpful but the rooms let them down. I am not sure if we we were in a renovated room or not but it was pretty poor. The view from the room was terrific over looking the pools and the mountains but the carpet and general appearance of the room was not great. We had no wardrobe but had some hanging space, the bathrooms were basic with very limited thin towels but staff were happy to provide more. In hindsite we had a terrific rate of $84.00 per night plus tax so at that end of the scale I am not sure what else we could expect. Some other rooms looked as though they had maybe been modernised so maybe a work in progress so it might be best to check. You do need a car though as was a fair distance to get anywhere. We loved the Arial Tramway which is close by but the serv ice at the restaurant at the top was not that good. shopping in Palm Springs was pretty good but like I said you do need a car. Laundry facilities at this property were OK but again a bit basic.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
thornhill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

We had a restful sleep in a cozy bed. The staff was friendly. The price for what you are offered is definatley a win win...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

For an economy hotel, it was really great - - comfortable bed, cool furniture, bright wall colors, flat screen TV, nice grounds and pool area. Nice update to an old Motel - not perfect, but if it was the price would be higher . No complaints.

Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

We loved it here - stayed an extra night. A nice surprise as Travelodges have a more 'downmarket' reputation. It is trying to attract a more 'trendy' client. Our room was big and clean, with a balcony, and I concur with other positive comments. Not a very convenient location, but we had a car, and nearby Old Creek House restaurant was good - and great value. We also enjoyed the nearby indian Canyons - worth the entrance fee.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

The photos on the website are selective and do not reflect what the room actually looked like. There were stains on the walls, curtains, floors, overall dirty feel to the room. The bathroom tiles were stained with black marks in the grout, small, smelly towels made me feel like I had to shower all over again. If your decision is based on budget please consider staying at a newly built budget motel or hotel. This building was old and run down, the lobby was newly renovated along with a few new pieces of furniture in the room but there is not enough lipstick in the world to pretty this experience up.
I felt like I was in a room that had been taped off with "yellow" do not cross tape...just choose your favourite investigative tv show and you'll know what I'm getting at.
If you decide to book at this hotel and you run into the same room issues, insist that they move you to a more acceptable room. I will not be returning to this establishment.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

We chose this Travelodge in Palm Springs largely based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. We only paid $ 75 CDN a night through Expedia and were surprised at how nice and comfortable the room was. We had nice large beds, each with a thick mattress pad, a fluffy duvet and 4 pillows. It was very quiet and we had no trouble sleeping. We had a mountain view room and the scenery was beautiful with all the mountains and palm trees. The reception staff were great - very helpful and accomodating.The continental breakfast was the same everyday and was adequate. Some people may complain but it was free and we enjoyed watching CNN on the flat screen TV in the breakfast area to keep up with the news. You always have the option of eating somewhere else. As some reviewers have mentioned, a few more tables and chairs would have been nice. The 2 pools were great with 8 foot deep ends and I especially enjoyed the outdoor pool beds. They were so comfortable to sun tan on as opposed to the hard lounge chairs. There was also a large hot tub as well. I would recommend that the hotel gets some new pool towels because the ones that they had were the size of a hand towel - you needed at least 2 to dry off. The gardens were well taken care of and there were patio tables with outdoor BBQ's as well. The bathroom only had a shower but it had good water pressure. I also liked the digital safe in the room so I didn't have to worry about my valuables.There was a mini fridge in the room and a microwave in the breakfast area. There was also a computer in the lobby for guests but the internet was on the slow side. Since I didn't bring a laptop I did appreciate it and used it everyday. The location was good but it was quite a walk to Palm Springs. Since we didn't rent a car we walked or took the bus. Fortunately the 111 Bus goes down Palm Canyon all the way from Palm Springs to Indio. I actually enjoyed the newer areas of Rancho Mirage and Indian Wells more than Palm Springs. Everything is new and clean with lots of shopping and restaurants and gorgeous homes and golf courses. I have never seen such a beautiful, clean city with such manicured lawns, palm trees and roads. We really enjoyed our week stay here. Everyone was friendly and we felt safe . Because everyone was so laid back and the weather was sunny everyday, it was very stress free for us too.
Tips: Rent a car- the traffic isn't as crazy as some other California cities. The buses run every 20 minutes ( 40 minutes on the weekend) but stop around 9:30. There is a Ralph's grocery store down the street at Smoke Tree Shopping centre where you can buy food, liquor and hot food items. Go down the street to Tahquitz Canyon and do the 40 minute hike to the top for a good workout and amazing view. It is free if you start at the bike racks where the locals do. Do the Living Desert park- there were many interesting animals and plants there.
Enjoy your trip- we certainly did and would go back.

Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

My stay at the Travelodge started somewhat shaky. I asked for a room where the wireless internet signal would be strong, and was told my "best choice" wouldn't be ready for a short while. I came back 45 minutes later and checked in uneventfully. The room, however, was an embarrassment. The carpet was filthy, the bedspread was rumpled,and the bathroom mirror had a crack almost the entire width. To top it off, the internet signal was very weak. My complaint was handled appropriately, and I was given another room which did not have these same problems.

The new room was not without its shortcomings, though. There was no luggage rack (the first room had one) and the toilet required handle-jiggling to silence it following each flush. The location of this room, right at the top of the stairs, made it quite noisy until late at night as people returning to their rooms naturally carried on conversations as they approached and passed my room. The smell of cigarette smoke was evident, and when I went outside to investigate, I saw that the desk staff's outside smoking area was directly upwind from me. One "plus" of the room was the heat/cooling system. Although it was a simple window-style air conditioner, the remote control made it quite convenient to operate as needed.

In summary, the Travelodge might be a work in progress, but I doubt if I'd return to see the finished product. For a night's stay, it was adequate, but that's about it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Curve Palm Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!