“Great alternative to a standard upscale hotel - Also very dog friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ace Hotel and Swim Club

You added Ace Hotel and Swim Club to your Saves list
Ace Hotel and Swim Club
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   701 E. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Ranked #45 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
San Francisco, California
“Great alternative to a standard upscale hotel - Also very dog friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I loved it.
It's a great alternative to a standard hotel, but I'm a cheapskate and stingy with my five star ratings, so i knocked off a star for the prices, security and billing error (see the bottom of this post).
What I really want to do is give four and a half stars...

I stayed in one of their cheapest rooms on Thursday and Friday nights in January.

Price / value - Four stars
If booked through a third party like Priceline, Expedia or BookIt, it's reasonably priced (for what it is). The $25 per night "resort fee" is a little bogus for level of amenities ($15 - $20 would be more appropriate), but these bullcrap charges are kind of an industry standard so...

Design -Four stars
Re-purposed/used /industrial furnishings with a contemporary modernist bathroom. Perhaps a little bit too urban outfiter in some ways, but a very welcome change from the generic, bland version of "luxury" seen in just about every other hotel.

Food -Four stars
The restaurant food is above average, kinda whole foods meets diner in a good way (although prices are more whole foods -than diner).

Mood / service -Four stars
The general mood was comfortably casual. The service is a bit more casual than I'd prefer, but that's fine because the staff was universally cheerful and helpful. There were a few cute, well behaved dogs around the pool, which kind of added to a fun cozy feeling.

Hipsterism -Four hipsters
People who are obsessed with hating hipsters would be annoyed with 25% of the hotels guests. My policy is not to mind that they put so much effort into looking cool; it's entertaining to watch and they occasionally come up with some interesting stuff. It's so easy to take the benefits and just ignore any associated snobbery...

Hours -Five stars
I was very happy to discover that the pool and hot tub are open 'till 2AM! It was really great that I could have a late dinner, put my wife to sleep, get some work done, and then end the day with a swim and soak in the hot tub. I think the pool one of those salt water types so there is no chlorine yuckiness.

It's also great that check out is at noon.

Other
WiFi was a bit slow and could use an upgrade.

Construction of a new addition was happening by the pool. Kinda noisy but not that bad... Perhaps after the building goes up, the "resort fee" will seem more reasonable.

The TV offerings were slim but I think that might be a good thing because it encourages guests to get out and hang by the pool and bar.

Check your bill
I discovered an erroneous charge as I checked out (probably the result of carelessness at front desk) but it was fixed with a minimum of fuss.

Security
When it's hip hop DJ night they should up the security in the parking lot to keep non guests from getting too comfortable. -I don't care If 19 year old kids smoke weed or make out in a parking lot of a bar, but they should not feel free to do it in the parking lot near my hotel room door.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rachelle L, Manager at Ace Hotel and Swim Club, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Gracias for taking the time. Really really appreciate you choosing ACE.......and your feedback. Hope to see you soon!!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed at the Ace Hotel and Swim Club in Palm Springs for a long weekend wedding in March, and it was a great time, but definitely a hipster paradise - if that's your thing. It's expensive all around, but if you're able and willing to pay to feel hip, this is your place.

Having stayed at the Ace Portland (my favorite) and Ace New York, I was really excited to stay at the Ace Palm Springs to see their unique take on a desert resort. The hotel is set up as a small village, with room blocks interspersed with two pool areas, a restaurant bar, and event space. The landscaping is very unique for hotels in the area, in that it really embraces the natural vegetation and aesthetic of the desert - no lush green grass here, but instead cement and raked gravel and beautiful flowering trees. Also, communal fireplaces and strings of bulb lights are a nice touch for the evening hours.

The rooms are, as expected, very hip. It feels like staying at your cool friend's guest house, with indie art clipped on the walls, and Native American print rugs and touches. The rooms are very functional and the bed insanely comfortable, but its worth noting that the aesthetic is not one of luxury - it's the cool factor that sells people on the rooms. Everything from the in-room record players to the walking-stick available for sale to the choice of minibar snacks is curated to make you feel like a bit of an indie rock star making a stop on tour for some R&R.

It's also worth noting the rooms are small small small - unless you upgrade to a room with an outdoor space, which I did. It was really nice to have a private area to lay and read and relax away from the crowds. Highly recommended to upgrade.

The main pool area is hit or miss. During the weekend it a complete scene is awash with LA kids who drive in to lay around looking cool, but during the week it is quite relaxing and less sceney. It can be hard to get a deck chair, and hotel guests wear wristbands for entry. The DJ sets at the pool are a nice touch, when I was there it was french rock from the 60s playing, interspersed with psychadelic rock. But be warned, this is not a pool to be pampered at, and the deck chairs, pool area, etc all cater to the idea of being in-the-scene rather than being luxurious or pampering. The Parker this is not.

There is a relaxing, quiet pool on the premesis too, which is better suited to quiet reading and lounging, though the pool is more of a wading pool than anything else with a depth of around 3 - 4 feet max.

The hotel's service, unsurprisingly, is nothing to write home about. You're paying for the vibe, not the staff, who seem to be hired based on cool-factor rather than helpfulness. I had several experiences where the staff was less than useful. Housekeeping forgot to leave me towels one day, and it took two calls and a stop at the front desk to get them over an hour later. Also, having been locked out of my room, the front desk told maintenance the incorrect room number to come to, causing me to again trek back to the front desk for assistance.

All in all, I think this hotel is a great stop for a fun weekend in Palm Springs with friends. It's a cool experience all around, and feels like a party. But, it isn't as great as the Ace Portland, and it's a bit overpriced for what it is.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with an outdoor space for a little extra privacy and comfort.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Rachelle L, Manager at Ace Hotel and Swim Club, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thanks Nick. Massive respect & appreciation for taking the time to share your thoughts.
We'll take them to heart and improve. Do hope you'll be back.........to PS........soon!!
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

My boyfriend and I stopped by to have dinner at the restaurant. We had been there once before after it had just opened, and it was a fun place, with ok food. This time the experience was so ridiculous that I could hardly believe it. The hostess/waitress with a long blonde braid was the rudest person I have ever encountered in the food service industry. We were sent outside, and then not waited on. After returning to be seated inside, hoping to at least get some service, we were spoken to very rudely. She rolled her eyes at us like a cranky teen. It was too weird. It felt like they wished the costumers would just go away so they could all nap or something. And to top it off, it smelled like it had not been cleaned in a very long time. Every surface was sticky and dirty.
There were only four other people in the restaurant at the time. We were there for over 20 minutes, left there to contemplate the rude behavior and notice all of the dirt and smells. We weren't even served water during that time. At that point we had had enough, and we got up and left. We headed straight to another hip spot, where we enjoyed a fabulous dinner in a clean environment served to us by very competent and friendly staff members. All of the other nice restaurants were full of people that night, so the fact that the Ace was almost empty should have been our first clue I guess.
The Ace used to be a funky place to eat, and now it's just really funky. But not in a good way. Don't waste your time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Rachelle L, Manager at Ace Hotel and Swim Club, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Wow. Very sorry. That's not how we do things. We've shared your feedback with the team......and hope you'll come back to have a very different experience.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is by far my most favorite hotel. Ever. That's saying a lot, but it's a bit of a first love situation...

I started going to Palm Springs with my boyfriend and this was the first place we stayed and immediately fell in love. I've since stayed in houses and other hotels, but nothing beats the simple, beautiful white buildings against the desert backdrop, the firepits that come on as the sun sets, and the amazingly perfect bed, bathroom, shower, towels, and even bath products that make it a relaxing desert vacation surrounded by great design and tons of amazing little details. And I didn't even like the desert when I first came.

The pool is obviously a hot spot on weekends and it's a fun, young social scene. Yes, lots of hipsters. But all sorts congregate, whether it's the coachella party boys drinking their micheladas in the pool or young families swinging in the hammocks in the shade.

The price has gone up since I first stayed so it's definitely not the same deal as 2009. $300/night feels a little steap for Palm Springs, but I think prices have come in line with the level of details, service and demand of this beautiful property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks Ken. Hope to see you back soon.
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We have to admit that this place is different and interesting - but there's a lot that isn't so great. Everything seems to be beat up and not very clean for one thing. Someone had left a room service tray outside our room before we checked in and it was still there the next afternoon. No one came to make up our room after the first day. Not a biggie but you just expect to have the bed made up and a check to see if you need fresh towels. There are big gas fireplaces for gatherings but again the whole area is grungy and dirty looking. Also, don't believe them when they say you can easily walk to downtown - its a long ugly hike. The place is expensive and we are definitely not coming back. There are much nicer places to stay in Palm Springs for less money.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Rachelle L, Manager at Ace Hotel and Swim Club, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We do hope you'll consider another visit......we have many new exciting changes underway.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Like most of the reviews say, this is where the hipsters of LA come to vacation. For $300/night, the rooms were VERY disappointing. I felt dirty. When we check in we were told we were 'upgraded' to a poolside room. I was so happy to hear this. Well, this was obviously a sales technique that I guess she thought we were dumb enough to fall for...We were in room 118 and we faced the back of the party room that is under construction. If we turned right, we could see some of the pool. She sure worked us! But the worst part was waking up at 6am on Sat to construction in the rooms right below us. They were laying cement and the crew didn't try to be quiet AT ALL. I finally called around 6:45 and 30 mins later they stopped until 7:45am. To me, this is UNACCEPTABLE on a weekend. My fiancé hadn't been able to sleep in in over a month, and this was supposed to be a relaxing weekend. It was ruined. Then to top it off, after we were promised they wouldn't be working Sun morning, they were out there again at 9am. I guess management doesn't keep track of what the construction crew does, or rather they don't care. Our only compensation was the $50 credited back for the 'resort' fee. Too bad we couldn't enjoy the pool b/c all of the chairs were gone by 11am. We had to sit on directors chairs not anywhere close to the pool. Wish we had stayed at the Parker Meridian where the wedding we attended was held...the $600/night there would have been worth it at this point. As for the rooms, they are ok. The beds were super comfy, but I wouldn't consider anything else good. I guess hipsters like that cheap wall 'art' and stained canvas walls...I don't. But, on the bright side, the pool servers and bartenders were super nice and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Rachelle L, Manager at Ace Hotel and Swim Club, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Hi Karin......so sorry. Please email me at Rachelle.Lester@acehotel.com
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I haven't actually stayed here (yet), so this review is for the pool & food. I always come here around Coachella time so the pool can get pretty packed on the weekends, but nothing too extreme. On weekdays, though, its much more manageable.

View: The view of the desert mountains from the pool is really beautiful since the hotel is situation right at the bottom of the mountains.

Food: The wait staff is always nice despite how busy it can get. We always order a hummus plate, the kale salad and the fish tacos - all delicious, the salad especially. This past time we had a pitcher of the white sangria and it was also delicious. The house white wine is also nice for the price.

Ambiance: Its definitely a "hipster" hangout, but more laid-back than the Saguaro. One of the reasons I really like coming here is that for the most part, there aren't kids running around. I've seen a couple kids before, but its rare. Sorry, but when I'm on vacation, I don't want kids running around and splashing pool water into my drinks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rachelle L, Manager at Ace Hotel and Swim Club, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Look forward to your next visit. Thanks for the above. Have many fun new things in the works!!!

Been to Ace Hotel and Swim Club? Share your experiences!