“nice staff but rundown property” 2 of 5 stars

Desert Lodge
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1177 S. Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Ranked #67 of 69 hotels in Palm Springs
los angeles
“nice staff but rundown property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2007

I was able to book a reservation for this property on a holiday weekend for a very nice price. First of all the staff is VERY nice. They really went out of their way to make me feel welcome at the hotel.

This being said, it is truly unfortunate that the property is not kept up. This hotel looks very beat up. The rooms are clean but not decorated at all. Sort of a "crack motel" look to the whole place. I was shown several rooms and left with a refund after 5 minutes. I actually felt really bad when I left because the staff member that checked me in was THAT nice.

With some TLC this place could be a real gem. I realize that you get what you pay for but this is far below most people's standards.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

We stayed at the Desert Lodge, Thanksgiving of 2005. The air was cool but the pool was a warm 78 degrees. Jacuzzi was great too. The continental breakfast was kid friendly with cheerios and toast with butter. Plenty of coffee and pastries. The room was another matter, it smelled of mold and the carpet was pretty worn. Also we stayed 2 days, upon check out my brother met us at the hotel so we could all go out for lunch. While I was in the office the lady who was handling the counter was unproffessional and accused me of having an extra adult in the room, because my brother was helping my husband with the baggage. I simply told her he had only just arrived. She made a face and huffed and puffed around. Due to the moldy smell and her rudeness I would not stay there again. In a pinch it would do.

Torrance, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

Stayed at the Palm Desert Lodge & Resort and from the "Friendly" oh I mean NOT friendly front desk to the horrible smell in the "Non-smoking" room, I would have to say not to stay here unless you are broke down or there is nowhere else to stay. Four of us stayed in a room that was located in the two story hotel part of the place. This is the kind of Hotel that you drive up and say.."Oh, please tell me this isn't where I am staying???" yah, it is that good. The room smelled terrible, the bathroom was lacking everything...no amendties at all. The toiletries were these mint thin soap bars along with these teenie tiny shampoo/conditioner bottle that looked like it had been re-used maybe 20 times and just refilled. The best part...Now hold onto yourself , was the Beds...No pad on the mattress just a flat sheet which moved or fell off teh bed. The stack of towels I slept on were not so bad, but maybe an extra towel would of been better. The only thing that is ok about the place is the pool area, which is actually pretty clean and has a little more to be desired than the rooms. I don't know why I thought I could find someone to answer a question for me at 7:30 on a saturday morning, but I humored myself and went to the front desk, tapped the little bell once, and again and again...finally a man came walking in from outside smoking a cigarette and was barefoot and said "Can I help you?" if you work here you might be able to and he said I do work here! You can figure the rest for yourself.....

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

The Desert Lodge is an older hotel. Very friendly hotel, staff try very hard make each persons stay as comfortable as possible. After check in we went to our room, we had plans to go out that evening, went to the pool area first. Hotel atmosphere was so friendly it felt like home, we stayed at the hotel for 3 days. Never left hotel. Great place for the right price.

• Stayed March 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2006

For the price that we paid to stay here we think we had a brilliant deal. My partner has stayed here many times and recommended it for value for money. I have to agree, staff were lovely, rooms were functional and you meet some real characters round the pool. Those who expected a 5* hotel for £37 a night (twin room, free car parking included) should pay out the money they think they deserve and stay at the Hayat. This place is great for people who dont travel to stay in a hotel room. If you want to sit in front of the tv instead then its probably not for you.

• Stayed February 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2006

this place is an absolute dump! all the rooms were suppose to be non smoking but all 5 nights we were there we couldnt sleep due to smell of the smoke (not from cigarettes) the shower had mold coming out of every corner. I showered with sandals very carfully not to touch any of the walls. the A/c heating unit is stuck in the wall with duct tape. termites every where. the TV sometimes got reception and when I went over to do a load of laundry I found out the manager lets all the area homeless people do their laundry here, which is fine if you want your cloths stolen. the queen size beds are the size of twins with burn holes in the linens. the front door has punctures where someone had entered with a crow bar and the sliding glass door didnt lock without the stick you slide into the track. it is an absolute ghetto in the middle of beautiful palm springs, dont belive the photos on there website they were either taken 25 years ago or they hired an amazing photographer!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Oakland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2005

We had 3 nights booked, and after the 1st night, we moved to another hotel. The toilet was broken, the room was dirty, the towels smelled like beach and were very old. Our experienced in this hotel was WORSE THAN TERRIBLE.....someone siffened gas out of our car overnight on top of it all. The air-conditioning was so loud we couldn't sleep. This hotel is totally desert trash and very active at night we most peopel are trying to sleep.
I WOULDN'T STAY THERE IF IT WAS FREE!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Been to Desert Lodge? Share your experiences!