“Winter in the desert” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Winter in the desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

It never crossed my mind to visit Palm Springs, BUT when I saw the pictures of this beautiful property I had to make every excuse to come visit! Early Christmas getaway GIFT for my husband and I!!

From the very moment we arrived, I was in awe! I drove up to the gated property unsure of how to get in. I called Gordon, the host, and he opened the gate and greeted us. He helped us with the bags up the stairs. I was looking in my purse for the confirmation letter or my credit card and Gordon says, "No need for that, we have your information." AWESOME!! I don't like all that check-in stuff. It feels like a hotel! All the payment stuff was taken cared of prior to my visit, so Gordon made it feel like a vacation the very minute we got there!

Anyhow, the property is even more beautiful in person. We stayed in the loft which on the second floor in the main house. My husband and I snacked on the dried fruits and the beverages that were stocked in our rooms. The bed was so comfortable! It was the best sleep I've had in a long time. In the morning we could see and hear the running waterfall from the window in our room. The 3 course breakfast in front of the waterfall was breathtaking and the food was great. I loved the little pathway you can hike up to the O Donnel House. We met other house guests and we all enjoyed an afternoon of h'orderves and wine together provided by the staff. The Willows is so close (2 blocks) to the downtown strip that we didn't even need to drive anywhere! Overall, the staff, food, and location top notch! Also, the property is well kept (absolutely jaw dropping beautiful) and the rooms are clean.
This is one of the most relaxing and memorable vacations for my husband and I! We loved the whole experience! Definitely going back and sending my parents for their anniversary!

The only downside is that this place is a bit pricey, but after having stayed here- I CAN'T IMAGINE STAYING ANYWHERE ELSE!

Room Tip: If you cannot go up stairs, choose rooms that are on ground level. The loft has steep stair case goi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Take away the "excellent service"...take away the "beautiful grounds"...take away the "individuality" of the very clean rooms...take away the "scrumptious" breakfast in the best of settings ...take away the "very social" early evening time with wine and delicious hors d'oeurves and what do you have? We think the best place we have visited. After a couple of hours visiting the shops (just 2 blocks away), we easily decided our time was best spent on the grounds of this wonderful place. Take advantage of the trails behind the inn and enjoy the views at the many different sitting areas. The Willows does not disappoint.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

What strikes you first when arriving at The Willows is that it's an oasis in the middle of a desert town. Set back against a hillside surrounded by trees and water it takes you away from a busy town and into it's cool refreshing embrace. When most hotels depend upon air conditioning and shutting out the heat, this place was designed and built before artificial cooling and sitting in front of the waterfall at breakfast you understand the science behind evaporative cooling. All the rooms are air conditioned but we found ourselves sitting outside on the terrace overlooking the desert each evening enjoying our wine and appetizers, watching the stars come out and the bats flying by....truly a magical place.

The pool was private and pleasant as well as the hot tub! We loved the breakfasts and the staff were personable and accommodating. The only reason we didn't rate this 5 stars is that we spend a lot of time in hotels for business and pleasure and are very picky about mattresses, and we found the mattress in our room too soft due to the foam mattress topper they put on the bed. Some people love these, we don't.

Would we return? Yes, the plusses outweighed the minus. Even though we were there for a work trip, The Willows made it a "couples get away". We spent 5 nights and didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: The Rock Room is right off the pool so it makes it like you own it!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

On the pricey side but well worth it with excellent breakfast, wine and hors d'oeurves in the early evening, meticulously restored home, attentive check in service and restaurant advice. Situated up against the mountains in downtown Palm Springs, this B&B gives you all you could ask for and more. Breakfast was served on bistro tables by the man made 20 to 30 foot water fall. The common rooms were very comfortable and inviting. For the discerning traveller, this B&B is well worthwhile even after receiving the check.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is probably the nicest place we have ever stayed, we had a VERY difficult time leaving. My best advice is to arrive right at check-in time so you don't miss any time here. The whole property is beautiful - it has been painstakingly restored. The public spaces (dining room, living room, terrace) are all very comfortable and luxurious. The dining room - where you are served fabulous 3 course breakfasts on china and silver - looks onto a waterfall.

We stayed in the Palm Room, which is right outside the pool and hot tub. The room itself was lovely - when we checked in, there were snacks, a bottle of water and a bucket of ice waiting for us, along with other amenities. Our room had a two person tub that was long enough for me to lay down flat in - and it is placed right under a window, allowing you to look out while you take a bath, but not allowing anyone to see in.

The hors d'oeuvres tray that they bring out in the evening is not to be missed - the tray is large enough to hold you over until a late dinner, and they will bring it to you wherever you are on the property. Our first night, they brought a tray of cheese and veggies to the pool for us, with white wine. Our second night, we had cheese and crackers, and a shrimp cocktail, with more white wine, on the terrace overlooking Palm Springs and the mountains.

The pool is beautiful, and we spent a majority of our time lounging on the chairs, or in the pool or hot tub. (The jets in the hot tub are great!)

The staff is really what make this experience so great - they are right there when you need them, but completely unobtrusive. They clearly care about the property and were able to give us great history about the house and all the renovations. Gordon gave us a tour of some of the rooms one morning as well. He also remembered our breakfast preferences - what tea I like, how I take it, etc.

The property itself is 2 blocks to restaurants and shops in Palm Springs, a very easy walk. Not that you'll take it - we only left the grounds once in two days!

We will be back as soon as we can manage it.

Room Tip: The Palm Room is beautiful and so close to the pool. Private - on the lower level.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

This wonderfully restored estate is such a joy to experience. I don't want to tell you all the treats you will enjoy or I will spoil your surprise. The rooms all have such character and history. The silver and china you are served on is perfect.The breakfast and cocktail hour is delicious and generous. Gordy, Joan and staff are very friendly. The location near the art museum and the center of town are convenient. We also spent a day hiking in nearby Joshua Tree National Park.

The prices seem high when you first check the website, but after you arrive, stay a day, realize the upkeep of such a place; it is a super value. The owner is dedicated to continuing to improve this property. Treat yourself. You won't be sorry!

My one warning: be careful if you have knee problems to discuss your room choice or ability to stay here at all. There are many stairs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

My husband and I just spent a wonderful weekend at the Willows. Everything, and I mean everything, was perfection; the attentive, yet unobtrusive staff, the stunning room, the gorgeous antiques and delicious gormet breakfasts served each morning. We're already planning our next visit.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to The Willows? Share your experiences!