“Very nice gay hotel in Palm Springs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Canyon Club Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Canyon Club Hotel
You added Canyon Club Hotel to your Saves list
960 N Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92262   |
Canberra, Australia
“Very nice gay hotel in Palm Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed here in room 102 for a couple of nights this past week. It is a very nice hotel in a convenient location in Palm Springs (it's quite close to the bars and other venues of Warm Sands; I walked there, but there is also a bus and of course it would be Avery short drive if you had a car). There are also lots of restaurants nearby and quite a few interesting design and consignment stores too.

My room was clean and comfortable and had a private patio. The bed was very comfortable. The pool is quite large and I really appreciated the mist spray around the sun beds. There is also a nice private garden area which, with the right mic of gusts, I imagine could become quite cruisy.

The staff were all great, very friendly and helpful.

I also thought the simple but well thought out continental breakfast was good, catering to people such same who wanted to eat food, and to the more body conscious who want a protein shake of some sort.

I would certainly stay here again and reccomend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I recently had 4 nights at the Canyon Club.
After arriving from a long flight, from Australia, and the drive to PS, I was tired and stressed and had a couple of things not go according to plan.
John, Chris, and Richard turned all that around. The owners and staff made me so welcome, the room was excellent.. In a word perfect, nothing was too much trouble.
Breakfast, was excellent, great location, easy to get to everything.. If you actually had to leave the property.. Thanks guys, I'll be back.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

If you are planning a vacation to Palm Springs look no further then Canyon Club! The staff is OUTSTANDING! Clean rooms with comfortable beds and pillows! AWESOME pool and hot tub. And BEAUTIFUL garden area. Right there on the main drag. Plenty of food options (Jon's is my fav!). And if you are there on Thursday night the Street Fair is just minutes away.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I have stayed at Canyon Club numerous times over several years and always, always love it! This property has the most friendly staff, great room options, great location and, best of all, a very large pool so there is not the normal guest house early morning fight for a lounge chair to lay in the sun by the pool! When we stay at Canyon Club we simply walk to all restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. So relaxing and I cannot recommend it highly enough! John in LA

Room Tip: I most enjoy the rooms with kitchen - to make a quick bite or mix a cocktail!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed at Canyon Club Hotel from March 21st, 2012 to April 7th, 2012, a glorious 17 day vacation. This was my third annual visit and stay at Canyon Club Hotel. I love Palm Springs and it's sensational climate, beautiful views, and relaxed lifestyle. I was warmly welcomed back by owners John and Chris. They are so caring and friendly. The front desk staff were all new to me, but I soon befriended them as well: Bryan is an adorable little teddy bear. Just can't stop hugging him. Ben is great to talk to, and has a wonderful sense of humor. James is a sweetheart, very attentive. Then there's the housekeeping staff. Superb! Jeff and Eliseo took care of my room. They did a wonderful job. Jeff knows how to do towel art. He made me some swans, and if I come back next year, he will make me some monkeys and hang them in the closet....LOL!! Eliseo is a warm and friendly guy, keeping my room clean and well stocked. Talking about my room......Wow! It's room 109, a luxurious one bedroom, full kitchen, huge separate walk-in shower, and washroom. There is also a private patio/sundeck, opening up from the bedroom. I had suggested some improvement ideas to Chris (one of the owners), and he implemented all of them. The shower now has a double shower curtain so you are not shivering while under the shower. There is also a new shower head, so you get a nice strong shower. Chris installed a new roomy medicine cabinet on the wall beside the toilet. He will be replacing the sink and vanity. Chris also installed a beautiful framed full length mirror on the wall opposite the shower. Very handy when getting dressed (or undressed!). He also installed a safe. Another reviewer mentioned there was no safe in his room. I think this is a work in progress. If you find no safe in your room, just ask. Also, there is now a computer in the room. Chris is very open to suggestions for improvement. He is an extremely hard working man, always working on projects to improve the rooms and the hotel in general. So much has already been done. The hotel grounds are beautifully landscaped with flowers and trees and bushes. The entrance to the back yard garden area has been enhanced with new brick stairs. John, Chris's partner owner is a social butterfly. He is the sweetest man! Always makes conversation with the guests, and even introducing guests to other guests, thus encouraging socializing. I made friends with another guest with the help of John. That guest and I often went to dinner to different places that he knew. Thanks, John! And speaking of hotel guests, everyone I met was most friendly, and great to talk to around the pool. Oh, and the pool is the centerpiece of the property. Heated comfortably, and refreshing. The Hot Tub is great in the evenings when the air is cool, and the bubbly water is hot. Adding to the level of relaxation, is the freedom to be nude throughout the property (except the front lobby). I strongly recommend to any gay men contemplating a visit to Palm Springs, to stay at Canyon Club Hotel for a relaxed, peace of mind vacation. I can't wait til next year!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I spent the weekend at Canyon Club March 23-25/12. I was in the least expensive studio king room on the 2nd floor facing N Palm Canyon Dr. Having stayed at this gay hotel many years ago, I can only say it is much improved. Upon entering the pool/courtyard you are greeted by a sparkling pool and hot tub. Lots of flowers and shrubs. New pool furniture, pool decking, and a very well kept area. Being that this property was probably built in the 1950s I am sure it is a constant money drain to keep repaired and in good order. It's small with 30 or so rooms. Helpful staff, great contenental breakfast with fresh donuts, packaged bagels, toast, cereal, juice, coffee, yogurt, fruit, and protien powder for smoothies, hard boiled eggs, and string cheese. Having stayed at several gay hotels in Palm Springs and around the country, this one had the best breakfast. It is a great value.

My room on the 2nd level had been redecorated with new carpet, furnishings, light fixtures, bath vanity, 32 LCD Panasonic TV, clock radio, small fridge and desk. New travertine like tile in the entrance and bath. Very clean with white duvet covers, high thread count sheets, efficient/quiet air conditioner etc. Very inviting.

I understand the current owners have had the property for 4 years and have sunk a ton of money into it. It is much better than it had been even 2 years ago. The only thing I could fault is the view from my window. It faces a facade front with fake windows etc. Not very attractive. The windows in the facade had been replaced over the years with painted plywood. Some still broken. The front streetside facade had some mismatched touch up paint and I trust this is one of the last things on the "to do list." I would suggest they plant a vining ivy to grow up the back side of the facade so you at least looked at greenery vs. concrete blocks. I don't come to Palm Springs for the view from the room, so it is not a deal breaker for me. The other thing is the old cast iron bath tubs and tile surround in my room needed attention. The tile needed some repairs and the tub could use a refinishing. I know replacing them is a huge project in cost and labor. It was clean, but very old and worn.

All in all I was very pleased. If you want a Hyatt quality and cookie cutter hotel room, then this and most gay hotels will not suit you well. I expect clean quiet pride of ownership rooms. Not a super luxury suite from the Hyatt when I visit Palm Springs. I want to relax poolside, meet new people from all around and just hang out. Canyon Club met my needs very well. I will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

There's something for everyone here. The owners are investing money and steadily improving the property. The rooms are much nicer than before, and while housekeeping is commendable, the bathtub/shower could still use some work. The grounds have improved noticeably over the years as well. Breakfast has likewise improved and now includes fresh fruit smoothies, cereals, hard boiled eggs and improved bakery items. The owners and entire staff are friendly and helpful. Front desk clerk James is particularly professional, but all the staff and owners, without exception, go out of their way to be nice to the guests.

There are a few shortcomings that still need to be worked on. This is one of the few resort hotels that does not have in-room safes. While I haven't had anything stolen, it would certainly have been comforting to have a safe for my wallet and electronics. It is true that crime is lower in the desert than many other places, but it nonetheless exists. In fact, one morning while I was there the Police were called to arrest a trespasser who had climbed over the wall surrounding the "secret garden" and was found asleep near the office! There is an easy solution to that problem and management needs to consider installing a key-lock gate (opened by guest key) at the narrow entrance to the garden. While that won't stop trespassers from climbing over the wall, if the gate is locked at night, at least they won't have access to the hotel proper.

The hotel location is within walking distance to downtown and the nightlife on Arenas Road and the 111 bus is a convenient alternative. From the airport it's about a $15 cab fare so if you plan to stay on the property with an occasional visit downtown, a car isn't really needed. Trio's and Jakes restaurant's on Palm Canyon Drive are just a couple of blocks from the hotel and highly recommended.

In conclusion, this hotel offers good value accommodations and should be considered by those seeking a somewhat action packed environment without being exploited as is the case with some similar themed lodging in Palm Springs and Cathedral City. I'm sure I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Canyon Club Hotel? Share your experiences!