“In the center of the happenings” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox Palm Springs is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 271 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Bistro
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tahquitz Canyon & Arenas
Transit: There is one transit stop 50 yards from our building on the main strip of Palm Canyon Drive, in down town Palm Springs.
Description: what makes a great pizza? It starts with a great oven! Ours is an authentic wood- fired masonry oven where the fire has burned constantly since the day we opened. Modern gas and electric ovens cannot produce the intense heat needed – over 800 degrees – to achieve the crispy, smoky crust that our oven provides. With dough made fresh daily in-house, our goal is to make the best pizza in Palm Springs!the space. The challenge? How do you build distinctive restaurants in unique urban spaces? Our original location in the Chinatown neighborhood of Washington, DC was a Chinese grocery in a structure 15 feet wide and three stories tall. Our newest location in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington was a 90 year old vending machine warehouse. matchbox Palm Springs was opened in 2005 in a second floor location with spectacular views of Mt St. Jacinto and Palm Canyon Drive. Our partnership group, with backgrounds in restaurant operations and construction simply have a great time designing and building all of our projects!
Washington the state
“In the center of the happenings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The "Matchbox" is a little bit funky, a little bit classy, but none to much of each. We ate on the upstairs balcony in the open air. It offers a view of the center of town and all the activity. It is reminiscent of Italian influence ala Palm Springs. The Caesar Salad was big enough for two of us to share and two plates were gladly provide without hassle. The Pepperoni Pizza was spicy, oily and delicious. Wine and beer were cold and all in all, it was a lovely meal served graciously and with spirit. Our waitress was willing to offer suggestions that were appropriate and by following her advice, we had a wonderful meal. The crowd was fairly young and there were several large (15-20 people) groups that were accommodated without hassle. Don't be intimidated by the age group because this is an wonderful establishment. Try the Mango sorbet for an after dinner desert. It cleanses the palate and if so refreshing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“4th Time - Still Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We like Matchbox. We keep going back thinking that we will finally be disappointed and pick another spot. Has not happened yet. Spinach Salad is great.

Visited May 2013
Twentynine Palms, California
“Really Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went there last night with friends and we had a really nice time. We shared appetizers of sushi, calamari and fish tacos and I had the crab cake sandwich with fries. Everything was delicious! I really enjoyed the food/my meal. My friends enjoyed the appetizers and their drinks and meal as well. They had pizza, I don't know what type, and salmon. The only reason I didn't give them excellent is because our waiter was slow. He was nice, but slow. At one point I thought he forgot about us. It appeared that he thought we just wanted appetizers. If in this area again, the I would definitely go here.

Palm Springs, California
“Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We ate on the balcony overlooking the street. The pizza and salad were both combinations we had never seen or tried before, which I look for in a restaurant. The staff was attentive without being overbearing. The
only criticism....would be portion size...both dishes could have been larger...we left still.a little hungry.

restaurant...creativity,
in a restaurant.

Los Angeles, CA
“Get the Proscuito and Fig Pizza and Thank Me Later”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Great place. Very cool little patios if it isn't too hot. Waitress was super friendly, as was the hostess. Spinach salad was very good. But more importantly than any of this: the prosciutto & black mission fig pizza was the single best pie my wife and I have ever had, at least outside of Italy. We live in LA, and have access to every type of pizza known to man. This one tops them. The combination of flavors is out of this world! I have no idea how good anything else on the menu is, and quite honestly, I likely will never know. Because every time in the future I go there, this is what I am ordering.

• Visited April 2013