“Super-Friendly, Top Quality Accommodation In Palm Springs” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Desert Riviera Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palm Springs
Desert Riviera Hotel
Save Saved
You added Desert Riviera Hotel to your Saves list
610 E Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Ranked #2 of 69 Hotels in Palm Springs
Dubai
“Super-Friendly, Top Quality Accommodation In Palm Springs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

My husband and I recently spent a holiday in the US road tripping along the west coast (so much fun!). We had originally planned to spend three days in Mexico, just south of the border in Ensenada, but throughout our trip everyone we met told us that doing so would be dangerous and that we should reconsider. When some Mexican people we met told us the same thing we were convinced. So, at the last minute we had to find somewhere else to go for three days. Having never been to Palm Springs before we considered that, and after a quick look on (trusty) TripAdvisor realised that the only choice for accommodation was Desert Riviera. I don't think I've ever seen anywhere with as high a ratio of Excellent reviews.

Let me tell you that this small hotel's position at #1 is well deserved (what else did you think I was going to say???).

So, we drove up to the place and my heart kind of sank a little bit. The sign out front is a little old and shabby, but don't worry, it's not representative of what lies inside the walls. We entered into a lovely, small oasis in the desert. Beautiful clean pool, plenty of sun chairs and umbrellas. So far, so good. We spoke to Judy at reception, and she welcomed us with open arms offering us a refreshing drink after our long drive. We accepted a beer but I told her I needed to use the bathroom first and she gave me the key to our room and said we could come back whenever we were ready to finish checking in.
Lovely.

After doing my business, we went back and she explained everything to us. Free coffee, tea, water, fruit and raspberry swizzlers all day (those swizzlers are a killer, I ate about a million of them). Free wi-fi as well as use of the computer and printer in the reception area. DVDs, books, magazines. Menus of nearly every restaurant in town to look at and decide where to eat. Free use of the groovy, cruiser bicycles. And most amazingly of all, free local, interstate and INTERNATIONAL calls!!! What???? My husband nearly fell over and asked Judy how they could do that to which she charmingly replied, "That's just what we do!" Incredible. (Funny thing is though, we didn't use the phone at all - I wonder how many guests actually do.)

So off we went to our room to unpack and unwind. We were in King Executive Room #9 which really looks exactly like the pictures on the website. Airy, spacious, plenty of natural light and super clean. There is a good sized kitchen (which of course, being on holiday we didn't use - just the fridge) and the bathroom, while being a little on the small side, was very clean and spacious enough for us both to be in there at the same time. The shower rose is quite literally flower shaped and a delight to stand under after a hard day basking by the pool. I understand that the owners only recently bought this hotel and have refurbished it. They have excellent taste and have really created a gorgeous little hotel to exacting standards. Oh, in addition to all the free snack stuff at reception, there was a basket of more free snack stuff in the room. Yummy!

The bed was super large (being a king) and super comfortable with really silky, soft clean linens. We slept like babies every night.

Another free service offered by the hotel is the use of the hotel limo (yes, it's literally a stretch limo). We used this a couple of times to get into town - while it's not too far to walk we were in super lazy mode and figured: there's a free limo available, why not use it. Jay, the limo driver, is a really friendly guy and very punctual. He also recommended a great Mexican place for us to eat when our original choice ended up being closed that night (we figured that since we couldn't go to Mexico we might as well eat it!!). We liked him so much that on our last night there we invited him to have a drink with us (after he finished driving duty of course). He’s a truly interesting fellow who’s led an interesting life. Stop to chat with him if you have the time.

We spent one of our days there literally just lounging by the pool (where we met some friendly Fins who had also parked themselves there). The pool is great, though very warm. Almost too warm for my liking, to be honest.

Overall I have nothing bad to say about this place (I’m not counting the pool temperature as a bad thing because it wasn’t really a big deal, just something worth mentioning). It really is a very welcoming, charming place to spend a few days and if we were to ever go back to Palm Springs I wouldn't stay anywhere else (though having said that they have recently also bought the nearby Hotel California so, if the same standards were to be applied there, I might consider that too). This place is a cut above everything else in the industry. The perfect small hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Cullman, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed at the Desert Riviera Hotel May 29 through June 3. We have been to many hotels over the years, but this one is way at the top of the list. Larry and his family have created a oasis in the desert. When we arrived there was a slight mix up with our reservation, but Patty made everything okay and did not dampen our trip whatsoever. We stayed in room 5 right by the pool. The room was wonderful. Very clean and convenient. The snack and drinks were a very nice addition to the room. We are early risers and every morning Michael was at the pool cleaning up and lighting the fire pit. We spend most of our days at the pool and it was heaven. Judy was great. She made us a dinner reservation and arranged for Jay to pick us up in the limo and bring us back to the hotel. A very nice ammenity for a small hotel. Steve, Judy's husband, was always around cleaning up around the pool and taking care of the evenings by the pool. Every evening they light candles and the fire pit. It was very relaxing to sit by the pool every evening with the soft Jazz music. One evening Larry took us on a tour of his new hotel, Hotel California. Once again he has created an oasis. He has a wonderful feel for personal service. Words are just not enough to express how much we loved our vacation. When it came time to go home, we felt like we were leaving our family. Thank you Larry, Patty, Judy, Steve, Jay and Michael for making this our best vacation ever. We WILL be back.

Room Tip: Room 8 is not the best.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Wow thank you Tripadvisor. I would never have considered or discovered this little piece of paradise. The reviews are spot on. A warm welcome by Patty with a glass of wine and soda. Given a tour of the facilities and shown to our very large double queen room. We were thrilled with the room and our welcome with basket of goodies and drinks. The list is endless.
I have never experienced anything like it, the extras they provide make this hotel a cut above all the rest. They are not obviously out to make money out of you, but to ensure you have a great stay and recommend them to your friends.
The best part of this hotel was the pool area. I have never experienced such a peaceful relaxing place in my life. Soft music playing by the pool. comfortable loungers, warm pool and spa with lovely floating loungers. Not having children here is the best move they ever made. I have never felt so relaxed in my life. I only had to walk a few paces to our room with nice cool drinks in the fridge.
The evening, all the tables were lit with candles, the firepit was going, and barbeque if you so desire. If we had more time would have loved to cook outside, and share it with the rest of the guests.
Thank you Judy for all your help with organising the limo and recommending restaurants. I sadly didn't get to meet Larry. We did enjoy the limo though, and borrowed a couple of DVDs from their extensive library. Didn't have time to use the bikes.
I can not praise this hotel highly enough, my only regret was not staying longer. From the whole California tour we did, this was the best part of the whole trip. Now back in the UK I can't stop thinking about this place and can't wait to go back, for longer next time.
This really is paradise, please keep up the wonderful work you are doing. I can't wait to see you again. Book this hotel you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

For a couple who knew very little about Palm Springs, I researched places to stay for a long time. I wanted to find the best location, clean rooms, good pool and a hotel with a good personality. I found all of this at the Desert Riviera and couldn't have made a better decision!

Our room was incredibly clean, and had a lot of space. We had a King room with a little kitchen, full bathroom, and a large comfy bed. There was also a little eating table.

The hotel itself had a friendly staff and was very helpful with directions, restaurant choices and hiking choices. The pool was not overcrowded and was clean. The garden speakers provide music pool side. The well groomed garden landscape provided the fresh smell of flowers in bloom.

Amenities galore. Seriously, the Desert Riviera allows guests to borrow from their collection of DVD's and books. You may also utilize one of their bicycles. There are hot beverages and snacks in the lobby. Our room had a goodie snack basket and the fridge was stocked with cold water and soda's. Guests can also use the bar-b-que to prepare a meal poolside.

Again, I have nothing but wonderful memories from our stay at the Desert Riviera. I fell in love with Palm Springs and will defiantly be returning. And I will only be staying at the Desert Rivera.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Wow what a fantastic find was the Desert Riviera. After a lovely drive up from San Deigo my wife and I checked into the Riviera and was instantly made feel welcome. A cold beverage and a warm hello made us instantly feel at home at this oasis. You need to use a computer? There is free internet, fancy watching a movie? help yourslef to the DVD collection, bike ride? just grab a bike (we never got this far) BBQ no problems we will leave out some condiments to get you on your way. Suggestions for a restaurant, try this place.

The only problem was one of our own making, we only had 2 nights in Palm Spring :(. Thank you Larry and all the rest of the guys and girls at the Riviera, you have made something so special that if we ever get back to Palm Springs we are staying for longer. Good luck with the Hotel California and thanks for having us.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
South Ockendon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights in April and you could not wish for a more relaxing place to stay. The rooms and the pool area are spotless and Larry and Patty are so helpful coming to ask every day if you need anything or can they help in any way. Everything you could possible wish for are provided (including free international phone calls) and it is so nice not to have to pop out for water, coffee or fruit, which is also provided free.

As it is a small hotel there is always plenty of space around the pool and the gigantic umbrellas on site are also a plus.

In reception there are a large selection of menus for all the local restaurants so you can sit and browse to see where you fancy in the evening. We used the limmo service every night which was fantastic for us as we like to enjoy a drink together on our holidays and this would not have been possible if my husband had had to drive.

The other facility that we thought was brilliant (although we didn't actually use it) was the gas BBQ and the fact that a man comes around in the evening to cook the food for the guests if they so wish.

We didn't actually go to the fire pit but I think most of the other guests did and they all seemed to enjoy having the chance to get to know other people.

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you take a low number room.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Based on a friend's recommendation, my best friend and I decided to book our Palm Springs getaway at the Desert Riviera. And we were sure glad we did.
Larry, Patty, Judy and Steve made us feel right at home. It was obvious that they made all of the hotel guests staying there feel right at home, as all of the other guests there were also awesome.
The customer service, hotel and pool cleanliness and environment was 5 star. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway in Palm Springs.
This place books up fast, so if you get a room, you're definitely lucky. But if you're not able to get a room at the Desert Riviera, ask for a room at Hotel California. Larry was kind enough to give us a tour of the recently remodeled Hotel California and they did a fantastic job!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Desert Riviera Hotel? Share your experiences!