“Jury is out” 3 of 5 stars

Century Palm Springs
3.0 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   598 Grenfall Rd., Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
“Jury is out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011 via mobile

Overall stay really nice as we were the only guests in the resort for the first 5days
Staff somewhat indifferent ranging from very helpful to can't be bothered to get off the computer and clean the room at 4pm
New manager doesn't seem to have a full grip on the running of the place
Gay clothing optional traveller - note well This resort did whilst we were there accept male and female guests! By law they must as the resort is not a private club
Great rooms mid century feel but lacking in atmosphere

• Stayed September 2011

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Upon my arrival at The Century, I was greeted by a professional staff member who led me into the check-in process. I really didn't have to do anything other than get my room key, and some other info about the resort. I was given a nice "overview" of the resort and then showed to my room.
I walked into my spacious, very clean and nicely decorated room and knew at that point, I wouldn't have any issues with the comfort and layout. The rooms are very nicely appointed, (mid century modern), a VERY comfortable king-sized bed, nice linens, and ample furniture for your computer, etc.
The location was kind of "off the beaten path" in the Warm Sands area of Palm Springs which is a breathe of fresh air, as it allowed you to relax, sit by the pool, swim, etc. The pool and spa were immaculate and clean. I was greeted by several patrons with a nice "hello" as I walked in -- suddenly making me feel welcome. The complimentary breakfast was ample, tasty and had a lot of variety of breakfast-type food.
I can't not think of anything I did not like about this resort.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We were regulars. Nevermore. We were originally drawn to the place because we like mid-century architecture and the Century had been restored to that era, with contemporary comforts and amenities. What we found there was an incredibly restful atmosphere and a pleasant staff who got to know us as we got to know them, and whom we looked forward to seeing as we planned each subsequent visit. Ray, the manager and a past owner, had a crusty exterior, but acquaintance revealed a sly sense of humor and complete genuineness. Ray kept the mid-century concept alive while scrupulously maintaining the highest standards of hospitality. Kirby, warm and humorous, full of advice and opinions about how to have a good time in Palm Springs, eager to make a reservation for you or just dish for a moment while you sipped the martini he just prepared for you at happy hour. It wasn't the highest quality booze, but it came with TLC. And Greg, sweet and friendly, fun and interesting to talk to. We were surprised on our last visit (last being the operative word) to be greeted by a new face at the gate, an utterly humorless man with an offensively phony affect of graciousness and not an iota of personal connection. The kind of person who would ask, "And how are WE today?" This, it turned out, was the new manager. I could go on. But I will only add that the comfortable Modernist lounge area was now dominated by a bulky, incongruous pipe organ. The manager, it seems, is a former church organist. Which is surely no crime... if you leave it at home. If you have been a regular at Century, and the personal connection was an important part of its appeal for you, you would do best not to return. It's been three months since we stayed there and I'm still not over the disappointment. Tom (and Terry)

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

This is my first choice with any Palm Springs visit. Aside from its great central location, the Century has beautifully appointed comfortable rooms, Classy and clean grounds, and superb staff that make you feel less than just a hotel guest, and more like a friend that gives you incredible hospitality. It's an experience that stands out from your normal hotel visit, even at a high end spa. With all that the Century has to offer along with all the amenities, its a value that is well worth every penny.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

I discovered Century Palm Springs in 2005. I was running away from a resort close to it where I originally booked and stayed just one night...
It is my 19th stay since! Should I say more? Yes, am a european guy travelling a lot and I must say this place is totally unique. First, the location and the unobstructed breathtaking view. Second, the very stylish small manucured resort. Rooms are great with a lot of details, simple but in fact very sophisticated. The staff (the old like the new one) is extremly friendly and really care about guest's confort and satisfaction. It is not totally by chance that the guests in huge majority look like the place.

• Stayed August 2011
Ft Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I've stayed at numerous guest houses in Palm Springs over the past 10 years.
I was staying at a different "resort and spa" and had to finally leave because of the condition of the property and the unwanted "critters" in the bed. So, I called Century. Wow, what a difference! Yes, the price is more but it is so true....you get what you pay for. The decor is crisp, modern and refreshing. The service was very good. It is a smaller complex, which for some might not be what they are looking for, but for my partner and I it was great. We've already booked a long weekend for the end of August. I would highly recommend Century to anyone looking for a more upscale stay when in Palm Springs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My 2nd time here, the Century simply doesn't fail to deliver! One of those places where the property actually looks better in person than on the website. So much has been paid attention to every little design detail. It's a mid-century-lover's dream, but not on overkill.

For gay men, the place does tend to cater to couples, but a solo traveler will feel welcome.
Both times I stayed in a deluxe king (which has an extra sitting area), but I checked out the standard king rooms, and they are completely spacious as well.

Those looking to do some cooking while there, rooms #8 and #9 are really cool suites which have kitchens, dining areas and private patios. They're really great!!

Most important and what I love best about the place is the staff/management who truly add to the level of comfortableness of your overall stay there. Charlton, James, and especially Greg are simply the best!! Treat yourself and stay at Century!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Century Palm Springs? Share your experiences!