“Great little midcentury inn!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Desert Star

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Desert Star
You added The Desert Star to your Saves list
1611 S Calle Palo Fierro, Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Templeton, California
“Great little midcentury inn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We loved the Desert Star Hotel! Beautiful design and full of great midcentury furniture and decor. Only six units, so very quiet and private. The saltwater pool was great and even in the hot summer the pool was shaded perfectly in the afternoon. We enjoyed taking the two cruiser bikes out in the morning for coffee too. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
winnipeg mb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Super clean (I think you could eat off of the paving stones on the patio and floors!); well supplied units; great, prompt and friendly tho' unobtrusive service. It's a quiet secluded little place in a great location with a great host. The WiFi was a real plus.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
on the road
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Desert Star 3 times now and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I travel from Melbourne, Australia, to visit it whenever I am in the United States. I seriously think I am obsessed with that place and how good I feel when I stay there. I dream about The Desert Star and I have photos of it on my office wall.

EVERYTHING about this place calls me back year after year; peaceful, private, the beautifully conditioned pool, the cruiser bikes, the perfect host, Davy... everything everyone else says in the previous reviews is true, Davy is the nicest guy you could imagine. If I could own a room at the D.S., I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I wish everyone knew how great this place is but at the same time, I am really glad not everyone knows or it would be difficult to book in.

The rooms are perfect in size and comfort and are absolutely spotless. I love that I can self cater. I love the private courtyards outside each bungalow. The decor is divine; simple, stylish and cosy. The beds are super comfy and the linen super soft. I have stayed in Bungalow 2 (my fave) and also Bungalow 6 (larger and more luxurious with the shower room). Check out the Desert Star website for photos of each gorgeous room... I can assure you that the photos are super accurate.

What I like most: everything (sorry, it's true, DS is a complete package of goodness)
What I liked least: that I live so far away!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
los angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

first off, davy was quick to respond to my e-mail request for availability, and was able to accommodate just what i was looking for on short notice.

upon arrival, i was impressed with the low-slung, mid-century architecture and the fact that it's a boutique hotel with no rowdy kids or parties going on. there are just 6 bungalows, and ours (#3) was a delightful suite with a clean design and very cool layout. plus, the large, private patio was an added treat. the moment we stepped forth, an amazing sense of calm and relaxation took over, and we seriously didn't want to leave the room.

davy was extremely helpful and non-intrusive, and he was able to provide us with excellent dinner recommendations which we heeded. it all added up to a fantastic weekend which i had been stressing over for weeks in hopes of getting it right. leave it to the desert star to get everything right.

i can't recommend this place highly enough, and it's not a question of if we'll be back soon - it's when we'll be back soon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

Good clean design, great service, absolutely solid location. I want to live there. And I certainly hope to return.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Valencia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

I am from Spain and I have been in hundreds of hotels worldwide since I work for the airlines. The Desert Start is a great boutique hotel!! "classy casual", spacious bungalows,bikes for guest use, awesome private patios!!! I can´t wait to come back in few months. I certainly recommend this place for couples and those looking for a relaxing scapade to beautiful Palm Spring.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Hands down, a fantastic experience this weekend at the Desert Star. Our room was so cute and modern, great comfy bed, private patio, and totally reasonably priced. Heres a thought, if you have a big group of friends and you want a getaway weekend, this place would be amazing to rent out completely. The pool is literally right outside your door but I never felt that it was loud or too close. The hosts are great and totally accommodating. Davey made great recommendations for drinks, dinner, breakfast, shopping, everything. Definitely one of the great things about staying with locals. Davey and Walter were so friendly helpful and professional, and their place is an absolute gem.

Room was clean, very nicely furnished, and felt like home. We didnt want to leave! Oh and the pool is saltwater, love it. We will absolutely be back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Desert Star? Share your experiences!