“Great Place to stay !!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 69 Hotels in Palm Springs
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Place to stay !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We rented this place from a traveler website. It is a time share but we rented it as a hotel. We rented the junior suite. This provided us a queen size bed and a sofa bed. we utilized both and we have nothing bad to say about the bed or sofa bed. Both were very comfortable. The room is bigger than say a standard hotel room.

We had a small stove and and fridge, the cupboards were well stocked with everything we needed. Hotel staff were more than friendly. The room was very clean. parking was in an underground parking garage with ample parking and an elevator to go to your room. Check in and check out were easy.

The pool area was wonderful, There is a water slide, a kids area pool and a large pool. the bar was wonderful making fantastic drinks with nice bartenders. We only ordered once from the restaurant and it was ok. it was breakfast. I found the prices at the bar to be reasonable.

This time share sits in a residential area, which is nice and quiet and very safe. You have to travel to a main street to get groceries or gas.

The only downside I can come up with it that there is no free internet. You will have to pay for that. Apparantley if you have an at &t account in the states, you will get it for free. We were from Canada so that was not an option. It is about 10 bucks a day. Now on the phone prior to renting, I was told there was a free computer in the owners lounge, but when I went there to use it, I saw that it was 35 cents a minute to get the internet...Not acceptable or affordable. So we chose not to use it. So be prepared to pay or go without.
All in all , We thought this place was great and would definitely get a room there again. Lets hope it goes with times and gets the internet for free there.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Bellingham, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

We chose the Palm Canyon Resort as a last-minute get away and booked mostly on the price. I'm not sure why there are such varying reviews here. It is a wonderful place to stay and it's incredibly clean. We even saw a man cleaning the walls and steps of the stairwell one day! The pictures on their website were absolutely representative of the resort itself. The rooms are roomy and comfortable and come with a fully stocked kitchen - including a microwave, toaster oven, small fridge and all of the dishes you could need. Our room also had a flat screen tv with a video/dvd player. My husband suffers from really terrible allergies. All of their bedding is down-free and hypoallergenic. This is one of the first places we've stayed where he didn't have any allergy trouble whatsoever.

The pool area is incredible. The waterslides are very cool and there is a very shallow part of the family pool that would be good for little ones. The second pool is very large and ranges from 3 1/2 feet to 5 feet.

The only negatives were that the beds were a little small and uneven (due to people sitting on one side to watch TV) and the service at the poolside bar was not great - I essentially got ignored when trying to order food, so we left and ate out.

Otherwise, we had a great trip and hope to stay here again as soon as we can!

Room Tip: Ask for top floor
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days and had a pleasant stay. We liked the pool area, which had plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. It's an older resort, not like Cabo Azul, but don't let that keep you away. The rooms are comfortable, parking underneath the building, downtown is only 5-10 minute drive. Great restaurants and people watching along the main street. We'll go back again. Great golf course across the street which the concierge desk set up for us with discount pricing.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We booked a last-minute stay for three nights at this resort, and had a wonderful time. My 11 year old and 15 year old were a little big for the waterslides, and only used them for an hour or so. There were lots of other things for them to do, however. There is a poolside ping-pong table in the shade, a really nice indoor basketball court, pool tables a weight room, large pool and two spas (one in a grotto under a waterfall). My husband and I relaxed by the pool and had our evening Mai Tai's at the friendly poolside bar. The atomosphere by the pool is very fun and family oriented.

The check-out is early (10:00am) and we got the extra 1/2 hour when we asked. We went to the outlets...3 days in the sun was enough for us. We also went horseback riding down the street at the stables. Lots of fun. My only complaint about the hotel itself was that the landscapers get to work at 5am and the rolling up of the hose was loud enough to wake my husband and I from a deep sleep.

Downtown Palm Springs is about 2 miles away, and we had great dinners at the Chop House on the main strip, the Fisherman's Market, which is one block away from the main strip, and Jackalope, which is in Indian Wells and worth the drive. On Thursday evenings, the main street is blocked off from traffic and there is a wonderful street fair. Don't miss it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011 via mobile

I came with 2 girlfriends and our kids for spring break. We arrived early and used the pool facility which was great! The kids loved the slides and I felt safe for them to play in the shallow water. I walked over to take pics of the boys sliding down the slide. My son hesitated at the top I thought he was making sure I was ready so I waved him down. Boy, did I make a mistake!! The sergeant like lifeguard scolded me and said "YOU are not supposed to tell him to come down, I AM" I apologized and said I didn't realize that. Instead of recognizing it was a simple mistake he continued to scold me and told me I was going to cause an accident. Really?!?! I apologized and it was a little mistake, nothing happened and nobody was close to getting hurt. The other lifeguards were very friendly and did a great job keeping the kids safe, but joked around at the same time.

The pool area is a definite plus, the bar and grill was great too!! The food was delicious and prices reasonable. They serve a great breakfast and the pizza yummy. It's their best asset. The kids also enjoyed the indoor basketball court and lounge area with 2 pool tables. The women's bathroom in the pool area had 2 stalls. One would only open partially because the door hits the toilet and won't open past it. The lock on it was also broken.

We had a studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom villa so we saw each floor plan. The rooms are nice, by the AC leaked in the studio and they had to move. The 2 bedroom smelled like stale smoke really bad.

The parking structure is so old it won't accommodate SUVs so we had to park in the street behind the hotel. Not the best location for us to walk to at night or for the cars! The kids said they were scared to walk through there.

The front desk made a big deal when we checked in about there being a certain number of green beach towels in the room and how that same number of green beach towels needed to be in the room when we checked out or we would be charged $25 each towel. We were paranoid the whole time making sure the kids had their towels and keeping an eye on them by the pool so nobody would take them. Since checkout was so early, we packed up the car, got the kids dressed in their suits and planned on hanging out by the pool and have lunch at the bar and grill. We asked for towels to use during checkout and were told we absolutely could not use the facility anymore as it is ONLY for OWNERS. We told them we had planned on having lunch and spending some time there before driving home and were told NO!! I called and asked to speak with the manager and was told I would be put to his voice mail. I told Will I needed to speak to a live person and explained the situtation to him. I told him nowhere on their website, during reservations or check in were we told of this policy. He tried to blame it on the internet and say well......you made your reservations online.......I told him no, I did it over the phone with a live person!! He wouldn't budge and said they would do better informing guests in the future. Basically, you've paid, you're done, we're not accommodating you so l'm telling you something to make you go away so scram!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2011
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

This place was just the right place for us. The room was clean and comfortable and the beds were just fine. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was located just far enough from town but not too far. It took us about 10 minutes to get to downtown Palm Springs. We loved the pool and the pool bar. It made us feel like we were on a real vacation! We would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

This place is a timeshare- not an actual hotel. The Palm Canyon Resort and Spa markets itself as a hotel, but since it is a timeshare expect to be treated like a 2nd class citizen if you're there as a hotel guest. We checked in on a Friday night and planned to have a nice, relaxing weekend laying out by the pool. Saturday we had a nice time laying out by the pool and drinking margaritas and also got great massages at the spa. On Sunday morning, I called to see about a late checkout. I was told that checkout was at 10:00 am, but that we could get a late checkout for 10:30 am. I thought that was ridiculously early, but said okay. Then I remembered that the front desk had made a big deal when we checked in about there being a certain number of green beach towels in the room and how that same number of green beach towels needed to be in the room when we checked out. I called the front desk and said that we would like to use the pool and asked if we should then turn in the green beach towels to the front desk. I was told no, that all green beach towels must be left in the room and that we weren't allowed to use the pool after checkout. I was told that the property was a timeshare, not a hotel and that only owners had pool privileges after checkout. I asked to speak to the manager and was told the same thing. I explained that we had no idea that the place was a timeshare (since it operates as a hotel) and that we wouldn't be granted access to the pool after checking out. We would have tried just laying out at the pool without towels, but there is a lady that patrols the pool and we didn't want to have to possibly deal with her. When we checked out at 10:30, we were told the same thing over and over again. We explained that we had no idea it was a timeshare and that we had planned our whole weekend around lounging poolside both days. We also told the front desk that we had spent a lot of money at the spa and the pool bar the day before and had planned on ordering breakfast and lunch poolside that day and didn't appreciate being treated so horribly. The front desk just kept repeating their policy and apologizing. Honestly, I have never had such an awful experience at a hotel before.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Palm Canyon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!