“Fresh food, worth a try” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Palm Springs, California
“Fresh food, worth a try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

This was my first visit to the original Las Casuelas. I was told that it is a local favorite, not a tourist attraction. On a Saturday night, our party of six were seated immediately although we did have reservations. The restaurant was about half full at 8 pm. The menu was extensive, offering something for everyone. I chose the low fat chicken tostada ($!0). For Palm Springs, the prices were more than fair. We were served abundant freshly made chips and delicious house made salsa. My tostada was a fried tortilla shell (probably not low fat) and inside were layered beans, lettuce, and grilled chicken surrounded with raw zucchini and carrot slices. It was not overly salty which was a definite plus but it lacked a dressing, so I used some of the salsa on the table. Over all it was very good but I would have liked a little more flavor with the addition of spices. The chicken looked and tasted like it was freshly made in house, and not something out of the freezer. I will return so that I may try the tacosand some other items on the menu, and I am also curious about the margaritas made with tequila wine. They do not have a liquor license but they serve beer and wine. It was a pleasant experience. I will return.

• Visited January 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Santa Ana, California
“Eating on the sidewalk and seeing the world go bye”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

We enjoyed a Mexican Breakfast at one of the sidewalk tables and so enjoyed watching all the interesting people go by. Palm Spings is certainly a place to watch people! I had so often heard of a "Mexican breakfast" and so here was my chance. They had four varieties and I took the waiter's advice. It was okay, but truly nothing exceptional. I had rice, beans, and the chopped meat was in the scrambled eggs (but without much flavoring). So, although we thought the ambiance was terrific, the food was only so-so.

Newport Beach, CA
“Great People Watching”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Been here several times over the years, and knowing what I was in for, I was never disappointed. The food is good, the margaritas are big and strong, the dance floor outside is fun for cougar-watching and also dancing if you have one or two of those big margaritas. Usually a band that covers Jimmy Buffet type of stuff, if I recall.

We ate here on a girls night on 7/23/10, food was decent, service was fine, not outstanding. It's kind of touristy (I am a tourist to Palm Springs though, I don't live there of course) and is one of those places you should go if you've never been. I'm not saying it the most authentic or the most amazing, but it is fun, and my experiences there have never been a disappointment. Probably I've dined and drank there around a dozen times or so in the last 8 years. I think I like it mostly because the people watching on the outdoor patio is hilarious.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Riverside, California
“This is a great Mexican restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I just ate here tonight, and the food was great. I have eaten in this restaurant since the 1960's and always come here when I go to Palm Springs. My favorite thing about this restaurant is that they have the best ground beef tacos that I have ever had anywhere. I ordered two tacos tonight, and they were so fantastic I wound up ordering four in the end. Everyone I have ever taken here agrees with me about the ground beef tacos. And they are very consistently good ranging from very good to sensational. I also like the rest of their food especially the beans and guacamole. I even overheard someone talking in the restaurant tonight saying that in their opinion the Original Las Casuelas is the best Mexican restaurant anywhere. I also like the Las Casuelas Terreza down the street which has a live band and is more upscale, but the food is essentially the same, and if anything the tacos are better at the original Las Casuelas. And at the Terreza there is often long waits for a table, whereas you almost never have to wait at the Original. I have lived in Southern California my whole life growing up in Riverside but living in Los Angeles for 13 years and trying all the supposedly best Mexican restaurants. The two best Mexican restaurants I have ever eaten in bar none are the old El Serape restaurant in Riverside and the Original Las Casuelas. Many times I've thought of those ground beef tacos and thought nothing about driving 50 miles to eat there. I look forward to several such drives this summer.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
World Traveler
“tourist trapp”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

horrible food, poor service it's the worst in palm springs!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere