“Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Romance
San Diego, California
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you like French classics like coq au vin or boeuf flamande, you'll be happy here, and they come with great french fries. Some nice wines on the list, too.

Visited January 2013

Ajijic, Mexico
“food not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

After the great reviews we read on line, my husband and I ate at Pomme Frite on Friday night, Jan.18/13. We sat an an outside table...very nice...and the waiter obliged us by turning on the heater. A musician played a piano accordion which created a lovely atmosphere. A great beginning.

Unfortunately, the food didn't meet our expectations. I started with the black mussels which were buried in a cheese sauce and frankly, I was unable to taste the mussels. My husband started with the escargots and enjoyed them. I had fresh fish slathered in tartar sauce for my main course. I scraped off as much as I could of the tartar sauce; still I didn't enjoy the fish. It simply did not taste fresh. Having spent our lives on the coast and having a great affinity for fresh fish, we are discriminating. My husband had the meat balls for his main course and that dish was okay. Lastly, we had the chocolate mousse. It was very good except that an enormous amount of whipped cream was piled on top. Perhaps a small dollop would have been okay, but the mousse was quite rich and certainly didn't need the cream so I just scraped mine off and ate the mousse. We were disappointed and would hesitate to return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Our go-to restaurant in Palm Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Saturday evening we returned to Pomme Frite for a dinner to celebrate a marriage anniversary. We have eaten here in the past and have never been disappointed. We started with martinis...Grey Goose since it was such a special occasion and they were like silk! We had the house salad and a trio of tasting soups for appetizers. the soups were wonderful, a potato leek (which was a little bland for my taste, but husband liked) a mussel bisque that was wonderful, and a hearty split pea. For entrees I had the mussels in the mustard cream sauce and spouse had the pork chop special. The mussels are always top notch here and these were. I would have liked a bit more mustard taste in the sauce but the celery in it was divine! The frites were wonderful, hot, crisp and with three different dipping sauces. The pork chop was cooked nicely. It came with garlic mashed potatoes which were nothing special but the red cabbage with apples and cinnamon was a very nice accompaniment. We had a Belgium beer with our entrees and ended by sharing a tiramisu. Overall, it was a very delicious meal. We were not rushed, the service by Kim was very good. We tipped the accordian player who was on the sidewalk outside...if we closed our eyes, his music could make us think we were actually in Europe. We look forward to returning.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“RUDE ARROGANT PEOPLE.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

wish i could give minus stars. They not only have attitude towards you but were laughing behind our backs!
We were attending the film festival and were looking for a quick bite in between the movies. We offered to sit at the bar so that we won't occupy a table. 'cause my friend was looking to order something that comes with the fries. I was craving for a good dessert. They refused to serve us saying they don't serve dessert alone before 9 pm and they cant brake the house rules for us? And they claim to be a french bistro!!!!!!!
Having been both in france and belgium, I can say only thing french about this place is their parisian arrogance.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Laguna Beach, California
“Service gone wrong”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We reserved a table for New Years Eve at Pomme Frite which has been one of our favorite restaurants. We were a party of six expecting a wonderful Belgian dinner. Instead we were treated like American hicks visiting Paris. Two of our friends ordered one of the specials - rack of lamb - both ordered "medium well done". One was served cool to the touch and the other one, was under cooked. When our guest asked the server to have the lamb redone, the server immediately returned to the table with the plate of food stating "the kitchen staff said the lamb was already medium well". We of course sent it back where upon the "hostess" - assistant manager immediately brought back the same plate shoving it in our guests face and emphasizing in a loud, forceful, and rude manner that the food was cooked to temperature not to color, there was nothing wrong with it and our guest should eat it the way it was presented and they would not re-do it! When we asked to speak to the owner we were informed he was much too busy to be bothered with us. We have been to this restaurant a number of times and always enjoyed it. I now am reluctant to recommend them as it seems the staff lacks supervision and customer relations training.

• Visited December 2012