“Just a weekend getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santiago Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santiago Resort
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newport Beach, California
“Just a weekend getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My Boyfriend and I wanted to go to a gay resort. We got a recommendation from another family member and they couldn't have been more correct. The room was great, the staff was super friendly and makes great breakfast. The grounds are clean and well maintained. Great pool and great times were had.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Over the past 15 years we have stayed at almost all the gay places in PS. Last week was our first stay at Santiago and I loved it! First, the pool is the best. It's huge and clean and by far my favorite pool in all of PS. Some bonuses: good breakfast and great catered lunch every day (and snacks in between) most nights we did not even need to go for dinner.

The room was large, quiet and dark in the morning thanks to the room darkening blinds (which I LOVED) which made for a great sleep every night. Great remodeled bathroom. Carpet (not tile) in the room which was clean and my feet loved it.

Did I mention that I loved the pool?

As for those folks who have complaints (esp the guy with food issues) I suspect they just love to find faults because I cannot find anything to complain about Santiago. We'll be back. Yes it's a bit more expensive than other places but it's worth it....especially that pool.

Room Tip: Bottom floor behind the stairs for darkness, top floor for views.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My husband and I had made a reservation to stay at another resort in Palm Springs. It turned out to not be what we had expected, so we did a little shopping around quickly and decided to move to Santiago, which was lovely, clean and had a very courteous staff and friendly atmosphere. The grounds were lovely with lots of tropical plants and a heated pool and great hot tub. I loved having fresh fruit every day with breakfast. We will definitely back be back to stay at Santiago again.

• Stayed May 2014
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

My partner and I decided to escape the Midwest cold for some Palm Springs warmth. So glad we did. We have stayed at the Santiago before and were delighted to be there again. We received a very warm welcome from Jay, the manager. The resort was just like we remembered it, perfect. The staff and other guests were very friendly. We felt right at home since 3 other couples that we had met before were staying there. The weather was perfect, sunny and hot every day. It felt so good to shed those clothes and air out the boys. We spent hours in the warm, clean pool visiting with the other guests. Can't wait to return.

Shelby Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Again we (4 of us) had a great relaxing time a this resort. Happen to be White Party weekend but the atmosphere was fairly quiet at the resort which was fine for us. THE ROOM... overall spacious and Oscar did a great job supplying the necessities and keeping our room neat and clean even though 4 of us shared. It offered comfortable beds (a bit hard) numerous comfortable plump pillows. The furniture cabinet offered flat screen TV, refrigerator, microwave and a safe.
Nice contemporary bath with plenty of shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. They even supplied us with sunscreen and a basket full of goodies for us to enjoy...nice touch. The resort offered breakfast ranging from cereal to pancakes, juices, coffee, teas and fresh fruit enough choices to cover your AM appetite. For lunch a deli supplied box lunches with a variety of choices. HINT... make sure you place your lunch order by 11AM or your out of luck. THE POOL....large, clean and blue surrounded by chaise lounges. Also a decent sized whirlpool near the pool. THE GROUNDS.....beautiful with blooming flowers, cacti, palm trees and private from adjacent properties. Even a couple hammocks for relaxing. Great mountain view! LOCATION....within walking distance to downtown 15-20 minutes or a quick drive. The resort is in a very desirable area adjacent to stunning 50's-60's era residential homes and other gay resorts. So why not excellent review...the staff was great THANKS Jay, Mark and staff. The minor shortcomings were bedspreads (time for new) it would help refresh the rooms starting to look a bit dated. The grounds and pool had quite a bit of debris after some wind and a short rain shower. The next day was a scorcher and though we and other guest went in the pool we still had to contend with the aftermath though it resolved later in the day. I do have to say I'm a bit of a neat freak but others were also commenting. CONCLUSION....still one of the best gay resorts in Palm Springs from the large pool, inviting grounds, large rooms and great staff. Just needs a little fine tuning. Present staff seemed slightly overwhelmed and could use more staff at peak times. We plan on a 5th visit to PS and Santiago again will be our choice.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views but we preferred the ones tucked away behind the fountain and patio t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was our 7th time here. I can't say that it was the best experience for us. A few minor things went wrong.. If there are continual "wrongs", it turns into a problem. We made reservations for the weekend of the "white party" (which we didn't participate in).
1: we were called on Thu, wondering if we were coming in tonight.. Our reservation was for Friday
2: Somehow, our room abuts to the "trash room" or employee activity area (smoking??) We had a smoke smell for most of our stay. It bothered me, but made my partner nauseous, and caused him to have some health issues.
3: Our lunch order was wrong one day, and it was not offered on our late check out day (Tue)... considering we just spent $750 on room reservations for this weekend, the least that could be done was to throw in lunch for that day.. not like you were that busy.
4: one day, late at the pool, I was in the water, and the attendant (I'm not sure if it was Mark or someone else) cleared out all the towels.. They were not replaced. I had to borrow one from from a guest
We got a some flack for bringing so much stuff. I have a special eating regiment, and my partner has restrictions on what he can eat. It was offputting. Guests shouldn't be judged by how much they bring in.
Mark got a little odd with me the last day, and I'm not certain why.

"Little things made it not as enjoyable as our other 6 times. First time under the "new management" Jay was overtly helpful, talked a bit much, but is only there 5 days out of the week. We were also given some grief about what we brought into our room. My partner has food allergies, and I have a unique food lifestyle, where I eat a fully based plant diet, mostly raw. No place will service my needs, so I bring my own food (and an emulsifier) Yes, it is a resort, we expected that we'd be there, on site, most of the time. The other two days, Mark handles the checkouts. Not an extremely good choice.

Some changes we noticed:
* Food selections in the morning had changed. It was pretty much the continental same each day. It is now something different each day. One day they served something with mango salsa... Parts, if not all, came from a jar that most likely had HFCS (high fructose corn syrup)... something that is poison for those who eat healthy.. (like myself). That seemed to be the theme of the entire weekend. I didn't touch any of it, just an observation. My partner did eat some of it, and did have a reaction... So, there you go. Lunches, thankfully, have stayed the same. I could still get the "fields of green", though I take out the cookie and the bread.

We always find this a private oasis from the throes of life. This was no different. It's why we come to this location. Our last experience, might temper our desire to find another place next time we're in town. We're on the fence. We'll be back in town, but unsure if it'll be this place or another.

I wrote a review to the Santiago's own website. I got no response, so TA and Yelp are getting the same reviews.

Room Tip: "smoking area" :east end of resort, though, no matter where you are, you'll get a whif...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I have been staying at the Santiago in March for the last five years. It has always been a great resort, but with the new management team it is even better. The rooms are good in size and are kept very clean. I found the beds comfortable, although some may find them a little hard.
Jay and his team go out of their way to be helpful and are very friendly.
The pool is a very good size for this kind of resort and it is always kept very clean.
I have always enjoyed meeting the guests from all over the world.
The only criticism i have is that the walls are thin and noise could be a problem if you are sensitive to it.
Overall, I highly recommend the Santiago.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Santiago Resort? Share your experiences!