“Stole My Deposit” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sakura Japanese Bed and Breakfast Inn

Sakura Japanese Bed and Breakfast Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sakura Japanese Bed and Breakfast Inn
1677 North Via Miraleste, Palm Springs, CA 92262   |
Ranked #23 of 29 Palm Springs B&B and Inns
Sacramento, CA
“Stole My Deposit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

I actually did not get an opportunity to stay at the Sakura Inn--unfortunately, my plans were cancelled, and so I called, ten days in advance of our reservation, and cancelled as well. I was told by George that my $145 deposit would be sent to me shortly. Three weeks and at least twenty calls later, I had neither received my deposit, nor had I received a response back.

I highly discourage anyone from booking with the Sakura Inn.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2003

My fiancee and I stayed here with another couple and were very much looking forward to the "Japanese" serenity. We didn't find it here.
Although the rooms were large, they were very cluttered, with dusty old magazines and poorly decorated. The backyard was very messy and in disrepair, including the jacuzzi. The owner/innkeeper was nice enough, but didn't know when to stop talking and leave his guests to their own conversation/vacation. I would not recommend this place, mostly because it is advertised as something it is definitely not.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2003

The charm of the facility and friendliness of the hosts, George and Fumiko, are the draw to this quaint little B&B in Palm Springs. The rooms are well decorated and spacious although the air conditioner is a bit on the noisy side. The decor and music are traditional Japanese with the pool-side garden being a nice place to have your Japanese breakfast. The jacuzzi is in disrepair and we also were told that a Japanese bath is in the plans to replace it. The bathroom is not traditional Japanese style and needs to be upgraded. It is a very laid back establishment and we felt very much at home there. Our last visit was September 2002, and we are planning to go again. You might call to see if the Japanese bath has been finished yet or if it is still in the planning stages.

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2002

Sakura Bed & Breakfast in Palm Springs was decent experience, although not a great one. The host--George--is a very nice and accomodating host. Fumiko was pleasant too, although she also works outside the Inn and we didn't get to spend much time with her at all.

While the Inn photographs well, in person it is a bit worn. Our room was spacious and had nice Japanese touches, but the bathroom was not at all Japanese. The futons on which you sleep may be uncomfortable to guests who have never slept on a futon, and I wouldn't recommend the futon at all for older people or for those with physical limitations.

The Japanese breakfast is nice. Not large, just a "just-hits-the-spot" combination of Japanese omelette, kelp, daikon radish, rice, miso soup, and green tea or coffee. Better than the American continental breakfast.

The inn is a bit rough around the edges. There is a nice Japanese garden, although some areas of it could stand some weeding. The pool is small but nice. The jacuzzi, however, is in disrepair, and it looks like it hasn't been in operation for years. The owners say that they plan to build a Japanese-style bathhouse on the property to replace the jacuzzi.

There is air conditioning in your room, but it is likely to be noisy and sometimes non-effective. These are older units which should be replaced by a new-generation whisper-quiet one.

The bathroom lacks the touches found in most B&Bs and hotels. There was a squeeze bottle of Dial antibacterial soap, but no nice little shampoos or lotions. Women won't like that there is little room to place a makeup kit in the bathroom while sprucing up in the morning.

The Inn was basically clean, but could use a little extra dusting, scrubbing and attention. The tub did have some small bugs crawling in it when we got there. I would not use the word "spotless" in describing this inn.

During our two-night stay, our hosts did not change towels, nor did they make up the futon beds while we were out sightseeing.

The base price is right for what you get (about $75 before taxes), although the extra person charge of $25 is a bit excessive, especially when they are sleeping on a futon.

I feel this inn could be a success with more attention to the grounds, more fastidiousness with regard to cleanliness, and more thoughtful comfort touches.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2002

It was simply beautiful. The mountains in the background right by the pool, and the soft chirping of birds in the morning. My boyfriend and I stayed at the bed and breakfast on 4th of July weekend and had and incredibly relaxing time. The beds are very comfortable and whole aura of the place is extremely serene. Yet we were only 2 min away from the center of town and 10 min away from the Palm Springs airport Being that they only have 3 rooms it is a very intimate atmosphere. The rooms are spacious with beautiful artwork all over the walls and curiosities everywhere you look. You can hear typical Japanese or classical music softly throughout the garden all day long. The hotel is small and very clean, George and Fumiko are both extremely hospitable and charming. We enjoyed our Japanese breakfast very much and will definitely stay there again. Don't read a book by its cover, the outside is very plain but inside its an oasis from the heat and the world. if you enjoy huge hotels with a million rooms and lots of noise this is not the place for you. If your into huge hotel chains with a million rooms and noisy guests, this is not the place for you. I've traveled extensively but this is one of the most unique places I've stayed. Enjoy!

Been to Sakura Japanese Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!