“Try A Refreshing New Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sakura Japanese Bed and Breakfast Inn

Sakura Japanese Bed and Breakfast Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sakura Japanese Bed and Breakfast Inn
Save Saved
You added Sakura Japanese Bed and Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
1677 North Via Miraleste, Palm Springs, CA 92262   |
Ranked #23 of 28 Palm Springs B&B and Inns
Idyllwild, California
“Try A Refreshing New Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Sakura Bed & Breakfast host George Cebra, greeting us with delicious Iced Green Tea upon our arrival, went out of his way to make our stay most comfortable… we felt like we were in another land as he catered to us, treating us as if we were a couple from the “Life-styles of the Rich and Famous”. Staying here provided a most pleasant, out-of-the-ordinary “ cultural experience. We enjoyed the amenities that were situated amongst the beautiful, manicured Japanese Gardens. These included a nice-sized pool to keep cool as the sun shone from the morning until it hid behind the mountain, where we could watch it set from our comfortable double lounge, perfect for us, the romantic couple who loves to sun-worship. I enjoyed the soothing sounds of the attractive large water fountain gently trickling by the pool. The sparkling clean hot tub was brand new with different therapeutic jets if desired… it really hit the spot, soothing our back muscles. It was situated in a secluded area, surrounded by bamboo. George served us one breakfast and one lunch, both nutritious and delicious during our 2 night stay, with authentic eating dishes complete with chopsticks, in the gardens quaint eating area on a round table under a straw umbrella. Breakfast was offered as American or Japanese. We chose Japanese so that we could fully experience this adventure. George had peaceful Japanese music playing in the background to add to the ambience. We stepped inside our spacious room just off the garden, decorated in lovely Japanese Style, complete with mini-fridge, TV, DVD player futon bed and private bath. If you should decide to soak in this lovely experience and all that George and his lovely Bed & Breakfast has to offer, I am sure you will be as pleased as we were. I highly recommend Sakura for your next stay in the Desert. You will leave refreshed and satisfied!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Japanese breakfast served poolside every morning started our days off perfectly. George Cebra is a knowledgeable and worldly host who made our stay in Palm Springs that much better. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. The welcome iced green tea on our arrival was an especially nice touch. I can't wait to go back...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
San Marcos
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

This was the perfect little quite get a way for my family and I. George is quite the host. We had the pool to ourselves, the room and gardens were clean and delightful. I enjoyed the breakfast by the poolside, and the iced green tea when we arrived. It was nice having someone to call for directions. George made us feel comfortable and welcome. We were inspired by his gardens.

• Liked — The Japanesse Gardens, all the bamboo, and the music
  • Disliked — no fancy towels or bath items - but it wasn't important to me
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2007

I actually did not get an opportunity to stay at the Sakura Inn--unfortunately, my plans were cancelled, and so I called, ten days in advance of our reservation, and cancelled as well. I was told by George that my $145 deposit would be sent to me shortly. Three weeks and at least twenty calls later, I had neither received my deposit, nor had I received a response back.

I highly discourage anyone from booking with the Sakura Inn.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2003

My fiancee and I stayed here with another couple and were very much looking forward to the "Japanese" serenity. We didn't find it here.
Although the rooms were large, they were very cluttered, with dusty old magazines and poorly decorated. The backyard was very messy and in disrepair, including the jacuzzi. The owner/innkeeper was nice enough, but didn't know when to stop talking and leave his guests to their own conversation/vacation. I would not recommend this place, mostly because it is advertised as something it is definitely not.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2003

The charm of the facility and friendliness of the hosts, George and Fumiko, are the draw to this quaint little B&B in Palm Springs. The rooms are well decorated and spacious although the air conditioner is a bit on the noisy side. The decor and music are traditional Japanese with the pool-side garden being a nice place to have your Japanese breakfast. The jacuzzi is in disrepair and we also were told that a Japanese bath is in the plans to replace it. The bathroom is not traditional Japanese style and needs to be upgraded. It is a very laid back establishment and we felt very much at home there. Our last visit was September 2002, and we are planning to go again. You might call to see if the Japanese bath has been finished yet or if it is still in the planning stages.

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2002

Sakura Bed & Breakfast in Palm Springs was decent experience, although not a great one. The host--George--is a very nice and accomodating host. Fumiko was pleasant too, although she also works outside the Inn and we didn't get to spend much time with her at all.

While the Inn photographs well, in person it is a bit worn. Our room was spacious and had nice Japanese touches, but the bathroom was not at all Japanese. The futons on which you sleep may be uncomfortable to guests who have never slept on a futon, and I wouldn't recommend the futon at all for older people or for those with physical limitations.

The Japanese breakfast is nice. Not large, just a "just-hits-the-spot" combination of Japanese omelette, kelp, daikon radish, rice, miso soup, and green tea or coffee. Better than the American continental breakfast.

The inn is a bit rough around the edges. There is a nice Japanese garden, although some areas of it could stand some weeding. The pool is small but nice. The jacuzzi, however, is in disrepair, and it looks like it hasn't been in operation for years. The owners say that they plan to build a Japanese-style bathhouse on the property to replace the jacuzzi.

There is air conditioning in your room, but it is likely to be noisy and sometimes non-effective. These are older units which should be replaced by a new-generation whisper-quiet one.

The bathroom lacks the touches found in most B&Bs and hotels. There was a squeeze bottle of Dial antibacterial soap, but no nice little shampoos or lotions. Women won't like that there is little room to place a makeup kit in the bathroom while sprucing up in the morning.

The Inn was basically clean, but could use a little extra dusting, scrubbing and attention. The tub did have some small bugs crawling in it when we got there. I would not use the word "spotless" in describing this inn.

During our two-night stay, our hosts did not change towels, nor did they make up the futon beds while we were out sightseeing.

The base price is right for what you get (about $75 before taxes), although the extra person charge of $25 is a bit excessive, especially when they are sleeping on a futon.

I feel this inn could be a success with more attention to the grounds, more fastidiousness with regard to cleanliness, and more thoughtful comfort touches.

Been to Sakura Japanese Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!