“3rd stay at Pura Vida this year!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pura Vida Palm Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pura Vida Palm Springs
Save Saved
You added Pura Vida Palm Springs to your Saves list
589 South Grenfall Road, Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Portland
“3rd stay at Pura Vida this year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Once again our expectations were exceeded by the staff at Pura Vida for our 3rd stay at this delicious hotel this year! We are addicted to the outstanding service, the beautiful and luxurious room as well as the wonderful pool/spa outdoor area. David, one of the owners, is, as always, a warm, welcoming host. If Mark, the other owner happens to be at the hotel, he, too , is an equally amazing host. Greg's attention to detail, wonderful personality and desire to offer any information about restaurants, mid century homes and general Palm Springs information is priceless. We originally switched to Pura Vida (from another hotel that we were very loyal to) was due to Greg accepting a new position and moving hotels so we moved along with him. We just booked our 4th stay at Pura Vida for 2013!

Room Tip: all rooms are wonderful and have outdoor back patios, however, we always hang out around the pool an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Richmond, Virginia USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Beautifully designed and furnished rooms with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was large and luxurious with a wonderful rain shower. The owner David made sure every detail of the resort was maintained in tip top shape. The check-in process was smooth and made very easy with Greg. I feel that Greg's kindness and attention to detail is a huge asset to this resort experience. It was nice to have access to complimentary bottled water, sodas, and snacks throughout the day. I also enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfasts as well as the complimentary cocktails in the evening. I can highly recommend this resort. It was my first visit to Palm Springs and when I return I will have no hesitation to stay here once again. Thanks David and Greg for an awesome stay at Pura Vida.
Mike from Richmond, VA

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The staff are wonderful and very accommodating. Complimentary water and soda's (& Kashi snack bars) throughout the day was a nice touch. Hot tub was great. Pool is heated as well (but a little cold for our weekend due to weather temps in the 60's). Room was very nice with a comfy bed. Great place to relax and chill. Not the place if you are looking for "wild times" but they are conveniently located in the same block.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was in PS for work and decided I'd stay an extra day for some much needed R&R. I was looking for comfortable and quiet when I booked at Pura Vida, what I got was luxurious and serene. When I was asked about my choices for breakfast, I told them I had an early morning flight and wouldn't be joining. Without hesitation, I was offered a care package of breakfast bars and fresh fruit for my flight. All in all a great trip. I'm coming back to stay at Pura Vida with no work to do and several days to enjoy the hospitality!

Only one suggestion to owners: window shades in the room. I'm light sensitive and can't sleep unless it's dark (and I'm definitely not a morning person). Beyond that, I wouldn't change a thing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
drpvps, Owner at Pura Vida Palm Springs, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
We're really pleased you enjoyed your stay and that our service met or exceeded your expectations. We hope you'll be back and for a longer stay. And yes, we will be installing window shades so our guests can control the amount of light coming into their room. Thanks again!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Should have posted this review months ago as my partner and I stayed at Pura Vida during Modernism Week in February. A true luxury boutique hotel for man in Palm Springs! Excellent on all counts with outstanding hospitality provided by owner David and his staff. Amazing room with nice amenities, sparkling pool, lounge chairs, great breakfast and a pleasant cocktail hour. The best resort in Palm Springs.
We look forward to coming back!
Bertil and Tom
New York City

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
drpvps, Owner at Pura Vida Palm Springs, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you gentlemen for your great review. I'm very pleased we were able to meet or surpass your expectations and look forward to having you stay with us again soon. Thank you! David
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Coco Chanel once quipped, "As soon as you set foot on a yacht you belong to some man, not to yourself, and you die of boredom." That is how one feels after several days at Pura Vida. Having abandoned the Century across the street due to lousy service, pervy managers, and the bear soup that has become their swimming pool, I ventured over to Pura Vida, recently restored, renamed, and under new ownership in the form of a professional hotelier. I visited during construction, and have stayed there twice since.

The rooms are large and nicely, if oddly, appointed. The same could be said about the baths, which sprawl along the back of the units to provide room for an ample, luxurious shower. But there is no confortable place to sit in the room. One must always be in bed to set one's feet up. The bath counters are so deep that I had to use my glasses to see myself in the morning to shave. There is no full length mirror in any of the units.

Outdoors, the pool is lovely and there are two separate nicely appointed sitting areas besides the lounges around the pool.

The breakfast room is elegant, and it is accompanied by a too-large outdoor dining area given the number of rooms.

The hotel is licensed to serve food and liquor.

When I first spoke to the owner, he made his intentions clear: a top flight, men's resort, for men of means seeking peace and quiet.

But the place never clicks. One reason is the rather schizoid nature of the physical plant: is this an outdoor restaurant that never serves an meals or a small boutique hotel? Should I plan a corporate retreat here, a romantic weekend, or party with friends? In the end, the place seems uncomfortable.

The same can be said of the rooms. Beautifully and luxuriously appointed except for the absence of some important amenities. And the owner has taken some unfortunate short cuts. Plastic glasses? Really?

They are licensed to sell liquor yet the complimentary happy hour is served begrudgingly and only upon asking.

And the breakfast, despite the ability to serve warm food, is meager, cold, and obviously purchased at Costco.

They are also woefully understaffed. So there is no attention paid to the guests because the staff is in such a flurry to get through housekeeping chores.

So in the end it seems as if this gent had big plans, and something went askew. He ended up with a lovely inn, that he cannot figure out how to make pay for itself, and he has made economies that undercut the sense of luxury and being top-drawer that he were his aim.

The worst result of all this is that he has failed to attract any consistent clientele that would help give the place an identity. Somehow I felt I was on his Palm Springs vacation and not mine. In the end I was bored by the whole thing and annoyed by parts of it. Not the happy ending I was expecting, certainly not at these prices.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
drpvps, Owner at Pura Vida Palm Springs, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
We always appreciate feedback from Guests so that we may continue to improve our offerings.
The rooms were designed to focus on the luxury of the bath, bathing, and sleeping areas. In addition to the custom furniture and vanities with oversized mirrors, all rooms have additional seating and desks. A number of the larger rooms are furnished with sofas & easy chairs. Rooms also have a private patio with additional outdoor seating.

The hotel operates with permits that allow the serving of an expanded continental breakfast and the only area hotel with a liquor license that allows us to serve only our registered guests. We are not a full service restaurant.

The rooms have an extensive list of amenities and includes a selection of glass stemware and non-breakable glasses for pool side use. Glass is used in the rooms but guests are asked to use non-breakable outside as this constitutes a potential safety factor should a glass be broken in or near the pool. It is also in violation of our operating permit.

Our cocktail hour is served daily and done with great expectations of meeting and interacting with our guests. We provide an extensive selection of premium wines and spirits and will serve as long as guests are interested. We will also serve guests at any time during the day that they may request it. We will usually send the guests off with any bottles of wine they have been drinking.

Our expanded continental breakfast is mandated by the Department of Health and are regulated in what we can serve. Our fresh fruit salad is made daily, baking is sourced from local neighborhood bakeries, our juices are fresh. Although we would like to, we are not permitted to cook or offer hot food.

We have 4-6 staff for 8 rooms and our guests are our 1st priority. I have lived on the property for since opening and have been available to attend to our guests on a 24/7 basis. We try and be discreet with our service but certainly strive to attend to all our guests needs from the moment they make a reservation.

Our prices & discounts are inline with other properties in the area and are consistent with the quality of the resort. Granted, we are not trying to maintain a high intensity party atmosphere with loud music and those looking for that will be disappointed. We offer a more refined getaway for those seeking to escape the chaos of everyday life and have established a consistent clientele and have guests who have already returned many times.

So I thank the reviewer for his comments, have made some changes based on his comments & suggestions, and hope we have the pleasure of having them back again.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This was my first visit to Palm Springs. I wanted to stay at an upscale resort where I could relax and just kick back. Based on a recommendation from a friend he suggested that I stay at Pura Vida as he has stayed there a couple of times.

I wanted to bring my road bike on the trip. I called the owner, David, to see if I could bring it and store it while I was there. David was extremely nice about it and told me that it would not be a problem. During our conversation, I told David that I would be driving there from San Francisco. Without me asking he sent me a follow-up email suggesting 3 different routes for me to take!

When I got to Pura Vida I was really impressed by the resort as I was told by my friend that I would be. The room I stayed in was extremely large and the king size bed was incredibly comfortable. It had 2 big screen TV's and an indoor spa. The layout and architectural design is truly amazing. You can see what I’m talking about by visiting Pura Vida’s website.

The resort was always impeccably clean. David always went out of his way to make sure that my and all the guests’ needs were met. Greg who works for David also went out of his way to make sure my stay was enjoyable. During happy hour Greg makes a great Martini!

So if you want a unique place to stay with great service and hospitality then you need to stay at Pura Vida. I will definitely be going back there soon.

Thank you David and Greg for an incredible visit!

Room Tip: All the rooms were incredible. However, the next time I go I will request to stay in Room #2. I li...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Pura Vida Palm Springs? Share your experiences!