“Great Historical Trip Back in Time” 5 of 5 stars

Caliente Tropics Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   411 E. Palm Canyon Dr., Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Historical Trip Back in Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2005

Last weekend - the desert beckoned! I stayed at the Caliente Tropics. It was a place where I stayed as a teenager back in the 80's and now, boy has it changed! I stayed there mainfully for budget (it's a great, authentic strip style of hotel which I appreciate but not a costly place - the location is primo) and also because of it's decor (it's very "Tiki" - I find that very cool and unique). Unfortunately, I am a smoker and realized after reading thoroughly about the hotel before my pre-book, that it would be a challenge. No problem - they had spots out front & out back set-up for smokers. So that was no big deal. They're pet friendly (I don't even own a goldfish) and I think that's pretty cool. I have a high dander allergy to most all dogs (believe it or not, no allergies to cats - it's kind of the opposite of the norm) and experienced no problems. The staff was great and I enjoyed a 50-minute (or was it 60?) massage in their on-sitei spa - it was awesome! Go there, dig in their mid-Century aesthetic, read the "special" story on the wall tile in the bathroom and enjoy. Oh yes - the water pressure from the shower blew doors on most hotels I've been to the last few years.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2005

We were able to check in early, wich is a plus, and everyone is soooo nice there. My partner and I went there for twon nites for Valentines weekend and we forgot our toothbrushes. We thought ok lets go to rite aid down the street but my girlfriend thought to call the front dest sure enough the had toothbrushes and toothpaste. The breakfast was good no complaints. The reasturaunt the have is GREAT. What more can I say they have great employess who were nice they smiled and were very attentive. I will stay there again without a doubt. My girlfriend already wants to go back later this month!!!!

• Stayed February 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2005

I am writing this review from the CT "Resort?" First of all, I am a smoker, a very polite smoker, I try to go out of my way not to smoke indoors or inconveniece non-smokers in any way. That's why I was astonished to learn that the place doesn't allow smoking inside or OUTSIDE! While they DO allow pets. This makes absolutly no sense. If they are worried about the smell, I understand that, but allowing animals inside certainly poses an equal (if not greater) chance of unsavory odors. If it is the fact that they don't want cigarette butt's decorating the property, here's an idea - make ashtray's availible outdoors, any polite smoker will use them. Aside from the smoking policy, my room key often did not work and I had to go back to the desk 3 different times to get it fixed. The breakfast sucked. The decor is cheap, although they feel the need to provide you with a price list in case you want to take anything home (or break it for fun). The pool is decent, but hardly makes up for the unfriendly atmoshphere. I could not wait to leave this place and will never go back.

los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2005

My husband and I love this hotel. It's cute, campy and clean! The pool is fabulous... the tiki bar is AWESOME, and the breakfast was really wonderful. The service was also top notch. While we were there, we booked another stay!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2005

Last weekend, January 28th-30th my husband and myself stayed at the resort. I just wanted to send a note letting everyone know what an absolute pleasure it was staying at the Caliente. We drove in from Los Angeles on Friday and when we checked in with the desk manager at around 10:00pm(I believe his name is John please forgive me if am incorrect, I am horrible with names) he was so nice and welcoming that it really set the standard for the stay. I was so impressed by the cleanliness of our room and the resorts overall feel/upkeep. The pool was amazing as were the fellow guests (no badseeds!) The Mexican restaurant on the site was delicious as well as really reasonable in price which is always a plus! Saturday night we ventured out to the Shag show and decided to do some drinking at the Reef. I cannot tell you how much fun we had. The bartender was so awesome. He made our visit to the bar very entertaining and let me tell you, the best Mai Tai I have ever ever EVER had!!!! I felt sad to leave the establishment. I told my husband that I will not stay anywhere else in Palm Springs except for the Caliente Tropics. We are looking to return in June to take full advatage of your pool. I cannot wait!!!

Redondo Beach California

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2004

My wife and I booked the trip directly through their website. The deal was far better that any other offer (i.e. Hotwire or Travelocity). The grounds were well manicured and clean. The pool was wonderful, along with the drinks. The staff we did encounter were friendly and very helpful. "Annie the Bartender" provided us with restaurant advise that was on the money. The only strange thing was no one was there. We only viewed 5 other guests which we found as odd during the season. We were told the business booms after Xmas. We are already planning a return for New Year's or within the next few months for another "Tiki Vacation".

• Stayed December 2004
northern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2004

I can't imagine a more perfect combination of price point meeting amenities. The attention to detail was astounding. Cleanest rooms ever, a level of customer service usually found in very upscale full service resorts, friendly mix of guests both human and canine and an uncrowed, relaxing pool with plenty of chairs. The Tiki theme was carried off to perfection throughout the property and the Bar (wished it stayed open more) was a sight to behold. This is a perfectly renovated " motor hotel" not a "golf set" resort. The only minor complaint we had was the " continental breakfast." It would have been nice to at least have tea bags and hot water for those who don't drink coffee and the scones were virtually inedible. A minor point since it was free and everything else was great. We stayed over Labor Day weekend and I know that is still off-season in Palm Springs but there were times where we were the only people in the rather large pool. Please stay here and spread the word! This place deserves to be full all the time so that they can continue to expand and improve.

• Stayed August 2003

Been to Caliente Tropics Resort? Share your experiences!