“a great retro place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Caliente Tropics Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   411 E. Palm Canyon Dr., Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Ranked #36 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Grass Valley, CA
“a great retro place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2004

We were pleasantly surprised-visited here 2 months ago for a wedding-rooms were big, clean with a great tropical theme throughout. The grounds were beautiful, well maintained, and at night, it was something to see. This is not a Motel 6 at all and if you wanted to stay at a 5 star well then that is what you should have done. You won't be sorry if you stay here. The continental breakfast is not bad especially when you can eat it by the pool and listen to tropical music while basking in the sun!
It is conveniently located. My hubby & I are looking foward to just taking a weekend and sitting by the pool. We didn't get to visit the bar, but definately will the next time!!! I loved it so much that I am decorating my bathroom tropical style!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2004

What a refreshing change from the typical chain hotel. I spent a long weekend here and loved it. The room was immaculately clean, the staff was friendly and the pool was relaxing. I had never been to Palm Springs and was pleasantly surprised by how much there was to do. The Staff arranged a Tram ride up to the top of the mountain, and the hiking there was great. They also arranged the PS Modern tour of the historical mid century architecture in Palm Springs. That was the BEST! I really enjoyed my stay at the Caliente Tropics. The owners have done a fantastic job restoring this mid century classic back to its former glory.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2004

My Husband and I really enjoyed ourselves at the Caliente. The pool was,great!! The bed was very comfortable. However, next time we visit, we would like a larger room. The Tiki Bar was very tropical and John, the bartender was really friendly. We will be back.. we only wish the rates were lower so we could go back on the week-ends more often.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2004

Recently found the Caliente Tropics and what a find. Charming Tiki themed grounds with rooms and amenities equal to a 5 star hotel. Friendly informative staff - great margarrtas
in the Tiki Bar. Can't wait to go back!!

Cerritos, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2004

As a surprise for my husband's birthday, I booked a weekend at the Caliente Tropics. What I had read about the property was intriguing and we weren't disappointed. The Tropics does not offer the usual bland hotel room. The well-kept up, comfortable rooms have a refreshing tropical vibe going on which added to the ambiance of our stay. We had a relaxing time--actually had time to spend in their tiki bar, which overlooks the large pool, chatting with the friendly bartenders.

The pool and hot tub are in a gated courtyard in the center of the property and are beautiful both day and night. They have tiki poles scattered amidst tropical landscaping with tiki torches lit in the evening to add to the mood. They even have open-fronted cabanas to lounge in if you want to sit outside (yet keeping out of the sun) during a hot Palm Spring day.

The staff helped make our stay very enjoyable with their friendliness and willingness to accomodate our requests and answer any questions we had.

The next time I stay in Palm Springs, there is no question of where to stay--it will definitely be the Caliente Tropics!

• Stayed February 2004
La Jolla, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2004

Tiki, which was part of the mid-century Modern movement is alive and well at the Calente Tropics. And so is good customer service.

This place almost had a date with the wrecking ball a few years ago, but thankfully the owners have made this place into a labor of love, and we the better for it.

I specifically picked this place because of it beckoning from another era. I was not disappointed.

I had never been to Palm Springs before and this place definitely added to the experience of this wonderful trip. I didn't want to leave!!

I was greated by a helpful and friendly staff at the charming front desk, full of the tiki motiff, including coconut scented candles and small fountains.

My hotel room was the cleanest hotel room I've ever been in. The owners have really made an effort of bringing the Tiki feeling to the rooms.
I was in a King Deluxe. It had a two seater couch (very comfortable) and a small refrigerator. The bathroom had only a shower stall, no tub, which was not a big deal to me. I think the bigger rooms have tub.

The grounds are wonderful!!! There are authentic, large Tikis everywhere! A large, grassy area near the pool is beautifully landscaped and has 8-10 connected grass huts, wonderful for some peace and quiet and shade.

The pool is one of the largest hotel pools in Palm Springs and is very well designed. There is also neat jacuzzi that is clover shaped adjacent. The gas Tiki torches around the pool at night are a nice touch. There is even a shuffle board court!

Then there is the absolutely charming Reef Bar. The management has Polynesian music piping out onto the bar patio for a good portion of the day, which is a nice touch. The bar is only open during the weekends for drinks. Hopefully the market will allow the management to open it more often.

And a complimentary copy of the Los Angeles Times will great you at your doorstep every morning. This is a big deal to me, since I've stayed at Ritz-Carltons and it is sometimes takes an Act of God to get a morning paper. The C. Tropics has it taken care of.

A terrific continental breakfast is offered daily in the Reef Bar. Fresh fruit, regular and flavored coffee, tea, cereals, pastries are all offered until 10 a.m. The meal will leave you satisfied and refreshed.

You may also schedule a massage on site. Plan ahead if you want to do this. They were pretty booked.

I found the desk and housekeeping staff friendly and helpful and the management will work with you regarding rates. All of the staff were well groomed and well dressed.

Parking was never a problem, since this is a "motor motel" and orientated around the auto.

I did not have a chance to eat at the onsite restaurant, which serves Mexican food. I did see a lot of hotel guests doing take out and taking it back to their rooms.

For those who want a sprawling, fru-fru resort, this is not your place. The hotel was build in 1963, and has had it's mid-century charm restored. It reminds me of places I stayed at when I was growing up, that's one of the reasons why I picked it.

Another observation, the clientle was interesting to observe. It was a very mixed crowd, old and young, straight and gay. There were a few families with children. People were very quiet, but friendly. People staying here wanted quiet and simplicity of a bygone era.

One example of this was one morning at breakfast some gentleman got on his cell phone then put it on speaker phone! When he got "The Look" from about 20 people who were about to toss their muffins at him, he ended the call.

There still needs to be some tweaking done with the hotel, it is a work in progress. I'm sure that the within a few years this place will be humming along like a finely tuned machine.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2004

The only saving grace to staying here was the bar next to the pool, and plenty of Marguaritas consumed. Although at the price they were charging, you'd be better off bring a blender for the room. We were pretty dissapointed by this place. Nothing like it was depicted online. Felt more like a common apartment complex with a community pool. Way overpriced. Wasn't even really close to downtown.

Been to Caliente Tropics Resort? Share your experiences!