“How much do two towels cost?” 1 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Resort   |   411 E. Palm Canyon Dr., Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #28 of 69 Hotels in Palm Springs
Stuart
“How much do two towels cost?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Beware of extra charges!!! My daughter and I planned a little trip to Palm Springs. She had stayed at the Caliente Tropics before and recommended it as being a good value. I would have agreed EXCEPT for the cost of two towels being $40!!! When we arrived, i was not given towels. The next day I asked for two and used them at the pool. When we checked out, the receptionist was helping someone else check in. I saw the basket of used towels at the side of her desk, and tossed the two towels into the basket. I gestured to her that I was checking out, and had returned the towels. She gave me the thumbs up sign and off we went. When I returned home and checked my bank statement I saw the additional charge of $40 and immediately called. When I explained the situation, I was told management would research the towel charge and get back to me. They did not call me back, so I called them. I was told the charge was correct and asked to speak to a manager. More than a week later the manager called and said a refund would be issued. It is now 11 days later and still no refund.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed here for four nights when the Ace was booked out and was pretty happy with it as an inexpensive backup option. Room was a good size, pretty quiet and clean (though dated and a bit faded). It's not the classiest place in town, but it did the job. The pool was nice (and WAY less busy than some others, which may appeal, depending what you're looking for). The front desk staff were pretty helpful. Overall a good stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

It's great to see a survivor from the 1960s that has been converted into another look-alike corporate chain eyesore. The room was clean and had nice bedding. For me, the pool is the best feature. Check it out at night with the torches ablaze. The front desk person was friendly and welcoming. I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My boyfriend and I planned a stay-cation in our home valley and chose this hotel. It was kitschy and older, but our room was clean and well-portioned--but the carpet needs replacing. We received great customer service and enjoyed our stay. The only problem was that the bathroom door didn't open all the way due to toilet placement. Other than that, good value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Have stayed at this property many times, but no more! The pool area and grass are great. The bed is comfortable. BUT----- Room type requested with advance reservation not provided and so-called "upgrade" was anything but. Room falling apart, shower not draining, blinds not working, hooks broken, toilet seat falling off. This property needs a serious overhaul. Management and front desk staff frequently missing in action. Billed for incorrect amounts on wrong credit card. On and on....

Room Tip: Don't bother requesting a specific room type -- you probably won't get it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Canyon Country, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Chaz took care of our concern with the first room assigned to us. He was professional, friendly, and offered suggestions for things to do in Palm Springs. Room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The pool was inviting, plus the have a lift chair for people in wheel chairs at the pool.

At check out Caroline was very pleasant and stated she hope to see me again. Friendly vibe.
Will visit again.

Suggestions: face towels needed. Otherwise it was perfect.

Room Tip: Nice size rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

MY worst hotel experience ever. It is old and run down, the air conditioner is as loud as a train, the pillows are completely flat, and worst of all the bedbug bites. We were so lucky they didn't come home with us. The whole town was booked up for golf tournaments and we ended up here. Never again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Caliente Tropics Resort? Share your experiences!