“Very good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Canada
“Very good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed 1 night, therefore, harder to rate. We experienced a quiet clean room. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub with a nice drink in hand (not glass of course). Not really walking distance to downtown, but we had a car. Adequate parking included. No breakfast included. Overall, good hotel for the price! I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Really reasonable hotel. Booked it online on the day we were travelling. We got a huge room with 2 double beds and fridge etc, great price, I think it was about $63. huge pool with lots of sun loungers and a nice lobby. Was delighted with it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nomansland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This accommodation is quite away from downtown Palm Springs. Definitely not in walking distance and probably not advisable to walk to downtown. Would not class this as an hotel, outside entrance doors and parking in front of property. Didn't feel comfortable about the security of the room straight on to the parking lot. Very disappointed with our stay here. Booked for three nights but left after just two. Room was dark,dingey and dated. Pool area wasn't particularly clean looking, busy and noisy, too family friendly! Residents with boom boxes in the pool area after 9pm. We had no hot water for showers on both mornings, even after letting staff know. Too hot in Palm Springs to not be able to take a good shower. Very disappointing visit. Relieved to leave!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

The room was clean, really big and well appointed. We really enjoyed our one night stay there after a long camping trip in JTree. The people were really nice and the pool and grounds were artfully done.

Room Tip: We stayed in 234 and it was quite and has a really spectacular view of the mountains.
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I have traveled all around the world, stayed in all kind of places, from campgrounds, hostels, motels, hotels to fancy hotels, and this was frankly my worst experience of all. Congrats Caliente Tropics, you have managed to beat the 5$ or less hotels I stayed at in India!

The hotel itself is not that bad. Although in my view it's more of a "motel" and should be presented that way on their website. The pool is ok, location is ok, rooms - when functioning properly - are ok, and it would be a fair value for the price paid. But we had a technical problem with the toilet in our room, which totally ruined our stay at this hotel and in Palm Springs in general and the way the staff "took care of us" (#not) was the worst customer experience I have ever seen.

The toilet was not working properly from the moment we stepped in the room. When flushing it, it would always clug, without reason (it's not because we were putting too much toilet paper or because we were doing big #2s - sorry for language!).

I first told the front desk about this (there was also an issue about the sink, it was kind of blocked as well). We went to explore Palm Springs, and when we came back to our room, we saw nothing had been taken care of, both the sink and the toilet were in the same condition as when we left.

(Just to be sure you understand well how inconvenient not having a functioning toilet in our room was, our room was at one end of the huge parking lot, and the closest toilet was in their reception, which was at the other end - 5 minutes walk - Not exactly fun/safe, especially if you need to go at night)

We called the front desk again. They sent someone to fix it (that literally spoke no word of English). He fixed the sink and was working on the toilet for 10 mins. He left the room.

A couple of hours later (it was not 11pm), I had to use the toilet. When trying to flush it, it was clogged again. I call the front desk again (third time I need to tell them about this ridiculous toilet). They send another employee, she checks the toilet more closely, and inform us that it's not just a simple clogging problem (due to too much #2s or toilet paper), but a real problem, and that it can't be fix right now, late in the evening. If they had done their job properly and check the toilet properly when I had first told them in the morning, they could have called someone to fix it, but because they are useless incompetents, it was impossible to fix it right away (just to reiterate - this place is a motel. It's not like a hotel where you can sometimes get out of the room and use either a toilet on your floor, or take the elevator and go downstairs at the reception. For us to use the toilet, we had to get out, walk about 5 mins, and go to the reception area... which CLOSES after 2pm! Really convenient for us!).

So I ask them: what do we do now? That useless employee, instead of being intelligent and 1) either finding a solution herself or 2) calling her boss to find one, brightly told us 1. She could not transfer us to another room because they were all rented 2. She could not put us in another hotel at their expenses.

We were stuck there, with this situation. I quickly checked online, everything was either booked or really expensive, the only option close to our budget was in Indio (40 mins drive). We couldn't even drive because we had both drank alcohol.

When you manage a hotel business and something like this happens, there is not 484985 options. You need to, at your own expense, put the guests in a proper room in a nearby hotel. Having a toilet is a necessity, it's not as if it was something like a broken A/C.

Then, that employee SERIOUSLY told us: You could keep using the toilet during your stay, just don't try flushing it.

WHAT? you want 2 adults to do all their #1s and #2s in one toilet for 2 days and take care of it afterwards? This is SO gross. I can't even imagine the smell in the bathroom (where the shower is located) and also in the room.

I told her we would stay, because we couldn't afford any of the other hotels in Palm Springs and we could not drive to Indio. I told her I would need to speak with a manager about his (because that girl was apparently 1. Not able/allowed to take decisions herself 2. Too stupid to think of calling her boss about this) and that employee told me the boss would be there next morning.

Next morning, I try to call the frontdesk (from the room) to know if the boss is there. Surprise, surprise: they don't pick up the phone! Something tells me it's because they could see our room # and didn't feel like dealing with us.

I go to the front-desk myself. I ask the employee (a different employee): Can I see your boss? This is about the room without a functioning toilet. To my dismay, that employee was not aware of the situation. This means the genius we had spoken to the night before didn't think/bother to write a memo to the other employees about this. Good job Einsten.

I tell her about the situation, and tell her I need to see her boss ASAP to discuss what she would do about us. She tells me her boss is not there yet (it was 10am, on a week there. What?), she doesn't know when she'll be there (WHAT #2), she's in and out (WHAT? #3) and she usually comes in at noon (WHAT? #4).

Just to make sure you understand: if you go to this hotel and experience a problem like this, the regular employees will most likely not want to help you want/not be allowed to do so, they won't call their boss and the boss is apparently there "in and out" and it's not possible to know when she'll be there. In short: they don't want to deal with problems.

We never were able to speak to any boss/manager/owner/supervisor of any kind during all of our stay (2 days). The toilet remained full of #2s/#1s for the whole stay, with the odor you can imagine. They FINALLY, after harassing them on the phone, agreed to give us back 25% of what we had paid. 25% is a joke. We had no toilet + a terrible odor in our room 100% of the time of our stay. On top of that, the way the staff handled the situation was simply rude and unbelievably professional.

Also, another remark: I went to the fitness center, started to work out on the elliptical. It took me 10 seconds to realize that machine was totally broken down, but there was no warning or it (nor any employee in the fitness center who could have told me that it was broken before I got on it). It could have been dangerous if I would have stayed longer on it, the two things you push back and forth with your hands were so loose, it felt as it the whole thing was falling apart. That's a safety hazard! Someone could have gotten hurt. This was the first night. I told the staff about this, but by the second night, there was still no warning. I guess they aren't afraid of getting sued if someone hurts themselves in their gym.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
yorkshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Caliente Tropics Hotel is more of a motel than a hotel,it is slightly dated against other hotels in Palm Springs but for the price is quite adequate.
On arrival the reception area is nothing special but the reception staff are friendly and very efficient. Rooms are either allocated on the ground or first floor with easy parking. The rooms are large, clean but not luxuries. The hotel gardens are well kept with swimming pool to match.
If travelling by car this location is fine but if walking it is a bit off the main shops and restaurant scene. Don`t be put off this hotel it may be a little dated but it is adequate for a two or three night stay.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms attract more light and sunshine.
Azusa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We were welcomed by Leo, who was very friendly and displayed exceptional professional demeanor. We compared several other motel/hotels, then returned to book with Leo. We were assigned to a very nice, clean room with two queen beds at poolside for a very good price of $75 @night. The facilities were all clean and well organized. Very quiet and peaceful even though there are over 200 rooms and several children from babies to teen agers' were present.
There are presently no restaurant or bar facilities: however they are planned for the future and there are Elmers, Cocos, Ihop, and several others within 15 minutes walking distance. People are warm and friendly and downtown area is within walking distance. We had a wonderful time and will return soon.;

Room Tip: All rooms are convenient to all facilities, quiet, well kept and easy parking.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Caliente Tropics Resort? Share your experiences!