“great place to stay in Palm Springs” 4 of 5 stars

Caliente Tropics Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   411 E. Palm Canyon Dr., Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Vancouver, Canada
“great place to stay in Palm Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Were looking for a place for just one night in Palm Springs and didn't want to bust the bank. We picked the Caliente based on other TripAdvisor recommendations. Neat property - looks like an old motor motel that has been kicked up a few notches with lots of tikis and tropical kitch. Pool and hot tub area were wonderful and best of all, open until late (1AM), which was great for our late arrival. The desk staff was very helpful and knowledgable.

If you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a place in Palm Springs, then I would recommend the Caliente. I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Tropical? Resort? $100 for one night for this Motel-6? Stay away from this place - dirty overcrowded pool, bar and restaurant are closed (no ads about it on their website!), not answering the phone, no refunds, and they put an additional $100 hold on your credit card! Marriott doesn't do that, sorry.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here with a friend the first week of April and loved every minute of it. The property is clean and has a very laid back atmosphere with a fair mix of younger people and families, plus its two doors down from the Ace for some late night fun with out having to drive. The pool area is awesome.

Also have to give a HUGE shout out to our housekeeper VILMA for returning the $920 in cash I left behind in the room after checkout. She saved my life :) THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights while we were on our spring break. Great location; about a mile away from the downtown area.The hotel staff, Sadie and Trey, were very friendly and helpful. The room was the perfect size for the 2 of us. The bed was sooo comfy! Really nice pool/hot tub area. The only bad thing I could think of was they had a really nice bar area by the pool but unfortunately it wasn't open. Other than that we had a fabulous time! Nice hotel at a great price. We will most likely be back the next time we head to Palm Springs!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Overall, the Caliente Tropics Resort is a great place to stay due to its excellent service and beautiful pool and lanai areas, two assets that distinguish it from other similarly-priced spots in Palm Springs. Though the room where I stayed was a little rough around the edges in spots, such spots weren’t important since the room was clean overall, quite comfortable, and had an updated granite shower and countertops.

To begin, I booked my room at the last minute, a week prior to my stay. I stayed during the week before Easter; however, Maritza was able to find me a room and give me a free upgrade to one of the Tahitian Lanai King rooms that overlooks the quiet Lanai area.

Upon checking in, Steven was friendly and thorough but concise with acclimating me to the hotel’s grounds and policies. Throughout my stay I noticed Steven performing various tasks from front desk help, to addressing housekeeping needs, to completing minor maintenance tasks.

I entered Room 222 and was pleased with the décor, even considering a couple of chipped spots from the room’s furniture and sizeable torn spot of wallpaper above the provided iron and ironing board. Like I said, though, in the grand scheme, these were minor cosmetic issues that the new black granite shower and countertops overshadowed and some touchups would amend. The giant bed was comfortable as well as the chair in the room from which I watched an NCAA Basketball Tournament game. As I relaxed in the room, I noticed myself thinking on a few occasions about the ample space within. If you’re traveling with a family or desire some additional room space, this one’s for you as the room has ample space, various spots to store multiple suitcases, plenty of countertop space, and a desk area. Pay the extra 10% or so for the upgrade. However, I do recommend asking for a room other than Room 222 since it’s at the top of a stairwell. I noticed that out-of-shape hotel guests visiting Palm slammed their feet as they ascended the stairs, which makes a banging noise and was annoying; however, this is no fault of the hotel.

In the evening, Trey provided me with a recommendation for a frozen yogurt place that I ended up checking out. He was courteous, and we joked a bit about its lack of cookie dough. Later in the evening I saw Steven helping out another guest who was in need of some considerable assistance. Like I said, the service here is friendly and genuine.

The hotel’s most significant asset is its lanai and pool areas. Non-aggressive dogs are permitted at the hotel, and they rested in the lanai area by their owners. Overall, the lanai area has a more chill vibe, and guests will find ample lounge chairs and little huts in which they can take a break from the sun. Shuffleboard courts are nearby, which many guests enjoyed during the course of my stay.

The pool area was my favorite, hands down. There, I spent all day Thursday relaxing, reading, listening to my iPod, and people watching. The pool had a mix of nearly everyone: An elderly couple with their granddaughter, young families with kids, older families with teens, some college students, couples of various ages, a group of thirtysomething friends, single travelers, and English, Spanish, and French speakers. At one point nearly everyone at the pool deck provided a drum roll on their thighs for two guys from the thirtysomething group who executed goofy jumps into the deep end of the pool. The energy at the pool naturally ebbed and flowed as the day progressed: It’s not a stuffy, adults-only spot, nor is it a complete Marco Polo-playing children’s fun house; the pool environment lands somewhere in between. I lay under the many palm trees, among the many poolside flowers, and beneath the beautiful mountains, which added to the enjoyment I experienced at Caliente Tropics. Also, both the Jacuzzi and pool have a handicap chair a person with a physical disability can use to take advantage of these amenities; I don’t know if this is California state law, but having such equipment is, at the least, what’s just, right, and respectable. This hotel seems to have a wide target audience, and I hope it stays that way because it’s a fun and enjoyable place to stay.

I also must mention how clean the grounds are. The grounds staff kept everything tidy and well-manicured. Nice work! Similarly, the housekeeping staff ensured that my room was serviced quickly and thoroughly. Thank you!

Room Tips: The best rooms are those in the Tahitian Lanai Building: 221, 223-228, and 230 because they’re not at the top of the stairwells. In the two other buildings, Eastern Island and Wallis Island, I’d recommend requesting a room on the second floor but avoiding those ending in *20 as they are located by the dumpster. Also, those from *10-*19 and *31-*42 are the farthest from the road, which will reduce road noise.

Overall, I recommend this place to future guests based on its service, lanai and pool areas, and price. If I ever end up in Palm again, I’ll be sure to stay at the Caliente Tropics.

Room Tip: The best rooms are those in the Tahitian Lanai Building: 221, 223-228, and 230 because they’re not a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Stevenson Ranch, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my second stay at this property with my children and another family. The last time, we were supposed to stay for three nights, but could bear only one (they didn't charge for the other two -- pool was really dirty, and why else does one go to Palm Springs?). This property does put an additional $100 hold on your credit card for incidentals, and after the first stay, I had to fight, two weeks later, to get them to remove this hold. That was about a year and half ago. We'll see how long it takes this time.

Property/rooms underwent some renovation since our last stay. They have a lovely bar and two restaurant areas, none of which are currently open (same on the last stay). A shame and a waste of perfectly good space.

Property is severely understaffed. Desk clerks have to leave the desk to provide additional towels to rooms. Tried to call the day before arrival to ask some questions. Never got a live operator, and never got a return call after finally leaving a message. Apparently, problems with their phones.

Our friends had to change rooms after the first room didn't have a working air conditioner. Second room had some plumbing problems, which were later resolved. The staff they do have do their very best with what they have. They are friendly and courteous. Rooms were in good enough shape, but we did find hair in the shower that wasn't our (ewe!).

Overall the property could have been kept a little cleaner - found the same trash on the property on day three as we did on day one, empty tequila bottle). Pool seemed a bit cleaner this time. Honestly, we came here only because our friends had a credit from a previous stay. Don't think I'd come back, if not for another outing with friends.

Property does have some potential. Let's see if they run with that, or let it languish.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter experience, you should request an upstairs corner room. Those rooms also seem...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Mostly based on the positive reviews here, I booked a room for my husband and I on a recent trip to visit family in the area. Our room was okay. Not the freshest smelling, but comfortable bed and windows that open. The two guys that helped me at the front desk were warm and friendly. The pool area was lovely and very active. We were surprised that a wonderful area for a restaurant and bar was vacant. It gave the hotel a sort of past its prime feeling. I would look for other options before booking a room here again.

Room Tip: This is an old school motor hotel, so ask for a room on the second floor to avoid the noise of cars...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Caliente Tropics Resort? Share your experiences!