“Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Palm Springs, California
“Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a great place to visit for lunch and Dinner. The prices are very reasonable and the food is wonderful. When you visit you must read the story on how the owner came to America

Visited April 2013

82% Recommend
Palm Desert, California
“A Tucked-Away Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I recently ventured out of Palm Desert to Palm Springs and something different…Pho 533. It’s a quaint restaurant tucked away in the Smoke Tree Village Shopping Center. The ambiance is soothing, and our waitress Erin made us feel most welcome. Even the music they played set the mood for a pleasant experience.

They have three different Vietnamese beers on the menu…we enjoyed them all!
We ordered a ‘sampler’ platter of Khai Vi (appetizers), which included shrimp deep fried shrimp wrap, fried Spring Roll and Fresh Spring Rolls. Make sure you try the ‘hot sauce’ that comes in a red plastic bottle—it’s awesome!

Our main course was Pho (Soup). My husband ordered the meat soup that had, thinly sliced steak and meatballs. The meatballs were a little odd…they were very rubbery. I pretty much eat anything, but the consistency was so weird, I wouldn’t even eat them. Everything else in his soup was fine though. My Shrimp Pho was yummy! Next time I will order a larger portion.

We had the ‘flan’ dessert--- but it’s not the usual Jelloy flan served in most Mexican restaurants, this flan was custard-like and so delicious. It was a pleasant surprise that ended our meal on a high note.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Tasty pho”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Pho 553 locates on the west side of the shopping area. Plenty of parking. I was there for dinner and had a craving for pho. I was seated quickly and looked over the menu. Good selection on the menu. I ordered small pho tai and brisket with tea. The food came fairly quick after I placed the order. The place has a nice atmosphere and mood. I thought the bowl was small for the amount of noodle and meats that were in the bowl. I think a larger bowl with the same amount of food would give more room to add the bean sprouts. The broth is good and tasty, the beef cooked the the broth is good. I was pretty filled up with the small bowl. Tea came in a bag in the cup which is fine.
Overall I had a very nice dining experience and a good pho.

Visited April 2013
Chicago, IL
“Good enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Bahn mi (bbq pork) was very tasty, summer rolls (fresh rice paper) were large and served with a nice peanut dipping sauce. Bun thit nuong (bbq pork vermicelli) was fresh with a very, very mild nuoc cham. Best of meal was pork egg rolls - hot, crispy and delicious - like a good pot sticker filling meets a crunchy egg roll.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Great surprise to find good Vietnamese in Palm Springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had just 45 minutes for lunch and were looking for a spot close to the Camelot theater and fell upon Pho 533. we have spent some time in Vietnam and love this cuisine. The place is very nicely decorated with attentive service...not at all like the fast food type pho spots that are on every other street corner of San Jose, CA or Springfield VA where the Vietnamese population is high. This is only the 2nd Vietnamese restaurant I've been to since moving to the desert and its a great find. the menu is strong with what I would consider a more southern/Saigon style influence. we enjoyed the chicken curry, pho and the spring rolls. the spring rolls were large and delicious although a bit on the pricy side. the curry was a good size portion and the pho with a touch smaller than what I am accustomed to for a "medium" overall the food was very good but at a bit higher price than usual but again i'm used to areas where there are many Vietnamese places to choose from. they have a good beer list, Saigon, hue and 33 each for $5. best part was the delicious sirachi type sauce that they make with soy sauce, ginger, chili's and more that was just outstanding. also, great service. we'll definitely go back next time we are in the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere