“Really disappointed w/ POSH Palm Springs” 1 of 5 stars

Stay 3 Nights Get 1 Free
Ranked #8 of 29 Palm Springs B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Really disappointed w/ POSH Palm Springs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Been deliberating on writing this as I live by the motto that "if you don't have anything nice to say than don't say it at all." But after the way we were treated by this establishment and the fiasco I had to go through I feel it necessary to address.

My wife and I were visiting Palm Springs for the 1st time in late October of 2011. We were excited to take a road trip from Las Vegas to California and relax for the weekend. We did some research on the hotels in the area and came across Posh. It had great reviews and looked interesting so we went for it.

We wanted some extra space and reserved one of the Posh suites on Priceline.com. Everything with the booking went smooth and we received a confirmation for our suite via Email. On the morning of our check in date we departed for Palm Springs (about a 5 hour drive). At some point early in the afternoon a rep from Priceline called our house phone (hours after we had left for Palm Springs) and left a message stating: "The owner of Posh just let us know that your suite room is not available and they have one basic room left if you want it?"

Keep in mind this came in hours after we left and were on our way (on the day we were to check in). So we never got that call.

We pull up to the hotel (that looks more like a motel) in a quiet residential neighborhood and all the spaces are filled directly in front. So while my wife waits in the car parked illegally across the street I walk up and ring the doorbell. Guy answers (w/o a shirt and barefoot) and opens door. Checks me in, gives me key and walks me to my room. I am expecting a suite still. No mention of the room not being a suite. So I am a little shocked at how small the room is.

Spot finally opens for parking, park the car and my wife joins me in the room. The both of us notice that the room is NOT clean and covered in dust. The clock radio is not plugged in and when I squeeze behind bed to plug it into the one electrical outlet I find more dust and some candies on the floor (that look like Mike & Ike's). So room was not cleaned properly from previous guests. In addition the main door does not make a tight seal when shut all the way and there is a gap in-which light shines through and pests can crawl through at will. Sink at the kitchen is also clogged and bathroom door wont shut properly. Wife thought bathroom looked dingy. Was not a pleasant find after a long road trip. ((I have photos attached of this below))

So I am starting to get mad and I figure out that this tiny room is not the room we reserved on-line. I go back to the front office, shirtless guy says he is the owners son and calls his mother on the cordless phone to talk to me. Hands me the phone and owner Susan is sort of defensive, says that she had no suite rooms available and blames the error on Priceline. Almost speaking down at me says that my issue is not with her and call Priceline. She understands if I don't want the room etc.

So I call Priceline, the rep laughs when I tell them what the owner has said and they say that it is up to the managers / owners at the properties to update their inventory w/ Priceline (and similar websites). Says that this owner had the suite available and reserved it to me fairly. Also says she probably had someone arrive and offer more for the room or a guest extend their stay another night. Either way we get screwed and no suite for us!

So we decide to leave. After hours of calling around and finding no occupancy in town we are lucky enough to get a suite at The Riviera (beautiful property). The room is about $75 more a night. Priceline apologizes, agrees to honor the booking and reimburse us for the extra cost and we move hotels and try to save he weekend.

So we get home and I fill out all of Priceline.com's paperwork so I can get reimbursed for the extra cost to move hotels. It takes over three months to get the $150 sent to me. The issue according to Priceline management is that Posh is refusing to do the right thing and pay the extra costs associated w/ moving hotels. Priceline (Bookit.com) says they are ignoring their messages and finally sends payment from their own account. Money arrives four months after we visit palm Springs and after I have to call them 15+ times. Major hassle!

Overall a bad experience and ruined our first day in Palm Springs. Thankfully we saved it w/ nice stay at another hotel. I really don't see what all the hype is about and hope that this review saves other people from the hassle we went through.

Room Tip: Maybe call hem directly as they seem to give their own booking priority.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
susanantal, Owner at POSH Palm Springs Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
I always want to take the professional high road when responding to a negative review. In the industry we all receive them time to time, however, this review is a travesty and I feel it needs to be addressed.
First and foremost, I would never favor our own bookings as you refer to them over a booking from a service such as PriceLine.com.
What you do not undestand is that we subscribe to these services and thus look forward to the bookings they provide. That being said, frequently we have overbookings that occur and according to our contractual agreements we must provide a like experience or provide alternate arrangments for the guest. In this case when you booked with them I Immediately informed them that we did not have the accomodations that you were looking for. Priceline told me that they had tried on several occasions to reach you via email and telphone to inform you of this to no avail.
Please understand that we as the hotel are not provided withcontact information and cannot reach you ourselves.

When you showed up to our facility we informed you of the situation and tried to provide you with a Kinfg bedroom and you did not want that. NO PROBLEM. When you became angry my son called me to handle it and I tried to facilitate the situation and you were not interested in what I had to say.

We understand how this can be dissapointing to a guest. I let you out of your reservation and since you had paid directly to Priceline for the deposit it requires me to arrange with them to return it to you.
I was upset that you went to a much more expensive hotel and Pricekline expected me to pay for the increase in room charge and for all of your travel expenses etc. I had a problem with them because I felt that they dropped the ball. This is between me and my guest service coordinator with Priceline.
I did in fact reimburse you and the situation was dropped. You did not stay at our hotel even for one night so I find it hard for you to critique me or my son or the facility since you were angry and here less than 5 mins. tops.
As I will always say, we cannot please everyone ALL the time although we would love to be able to do so. I thinkl as a guest you are much better suited to a large hotel experience as you ultimatley ended up doing. Incidently, we provide parking for 25 guests and we had 15 here at the time I am sorry that we did not have a space readily available for you when you arrived I don't understand this complaint.
Thank you for your input.
Owener

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

The web site and the brochures paint POSH Palm Springs as a luxurious haven with impeccable service, accommodations, and food. Despite the glowing assessments of my fellow TripAdvosors, I didn't find any of it.

Arriving after 5pm, I found the place locked up with an envelope taped to the front door giving me instructions. It was dark, and there is no light at the front door to see how to get in. The facility itself is painted gleaming white and nicely arranged. It is an aged motel that has been restored. The room I stayed in was small. The place was furnished with an eclectic collection of stuff that was obviously picked up from many sources. The room was dirty. There was a dirty clock radio on the night stand, however, there was only one electrical outlet, so I had the choice of the clock radio or the light on the night stand, not both. The mattress was an inexpensive uncomfortable item that just didn't fit the POSH image.

The bathroom was inadequate. The sink stand was too small to lay out any utensils. The soap, so small that it was a joke. Heating and AC are provided by a window style unit.

Breakfast was good, but not exceptional. There were beach chairs to eat at, but it was clumsy and very uncomfortable. The "spa" consists of the pool, and a hot tub. Rooms in the rear were near the pool machinery which was noisy.

The staff spent the absolute minimal time in the facility. At 5pm, they were gone.

This was prime season. Occupancy was low, and I can understand why. This is not a repeater.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the rear, as they can be noisy due to pool machinery, or late night hot tubbers.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
susanantal, Owner at POSH Palm Springs Inn, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
I am very sorry that you were so dissapointed in your stay at POSH. As I am sure you realize, we cannot please everyone dispite the fact that we try very hard to create a wondereful experience for all of our guests.
We have never had a guest complain of our facility being dirty. This is more disturbing than anything else you mentioned. We clean each and every room top to bottom daily and did not realize we had missed dusting the clock.
As far as our facility being an older building, Yes! We cherish our vintage buildings here in Palm Springs and relish in the fact that we don't simply tear them down for new square boxes. It is a unique experience to stay in a vinatge boutique hotel and an acquired desire. Our hotel was completely refurbished top to bottom in 2009. We receive accolades daily for our design and decorating.
I Cannot help it if the food was dissapointing. Again, we can't please all.
Regarding your comment about us leaving early daily. There is no place to live on property and we provide check-in times for our guests so we can be here to acclimate them to POSH. If you arrive later in the evening we try to reach you via phone but sometimes are unable to do so. We have found that this is the easiest way to receive our late arrivals.

Thank you for your comments, we will take all into consideration and try to provide the best service and experience we can for all future guests.
Owner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My wife and I were looking to get away for a "baby moon" a few months before life changes as we know it. :) Not only was the hotel immaculate, owner Suzy along with her son Jeff went great lengths to make sure our stay was incredible. They serve breakfast in the morning that is delicious, and cocktails around a firepit for happy hour. Great conversation with everyone there, and already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed January 2012
rayleigh essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

WIll keep this review short....
Simply stunning boutique hotel, everything is great, thepeople the hotel, the rooms what more could one ask for.

Cannot wait to go back another time for a few more days...... love it.

Mark

Room Tip: all rooms are great and infividual.....
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Beautifully appointed room, comfy king-size bed and lovely pool. Wonderful hosts who go above and beyond to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable. The best part is the five-star full breakfast each morning. Happy hour with wine and cheese is an added bonus. Close to the trendy artsy downtown with excellent restaurants, I would highly recommend this charming accommodation and we definitely would love to go there again.

Room Tip: Couples can have a king room or, if you're travelling for a girls weekend for example, you could...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
susanantal, Owner at POSH Palm Springs Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your experience. We look forward to having you visit again soon.
Owner
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Really lovely place run by charming and friendly people. Happy Hour drinks and delicious goodies included, as well as a great breakfast – just be there on time so it doesn't run out.
Very few rooms so it was a really private but still friendly atmosphere.
Rooms and especially the bathrooms are a tad small but doesn't matter because everything else is so nice. Great place to just chill...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Great-looking motel which has been lovingly restored. Very much at the uptown end of Palm Springs and a bit of a walk to downtown. Great pool and hot-tub. Plus lovely breakfasts then cocktails and hors d’oeuvre in the evening. Free water and sodas very welcome in the 106 degree heat.

Downsides? Not the cleanest motel I’ve ever stayed in. There are no phones in the rooms which isn’t a problem if you have a US cell phone but if you are from overseas you are reliant on the phone kept in the bar from which you can make local calls. Great in principle but the 2nd night we were there the phone was locked away so we couldn’t order take-out. The main issue is noise, we stayed in one of the end rooms next to the hot tub. The pool equipment was really noisy all night, and matters weren’t helped by a group of girls who after a long night out decided to use the hot tub at 3am. Whilst this isn’t the owner’s fault, there is nothing to stop anyone using the hot tub at any time and so I imagine its a pretty regular occurrence. So a place for party animals and night owls rather than early birds.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to POSH Palm Springs Inn? Share your experiences!