“No view and poor follow up on a promise to compensate guests.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
San Diego, California
“No view and poor follow up on a promise to compensate guests.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Upon our arrival, my wife and I presented our reservation documents and were given a key to our room. The key did not work. The room was on the second floor, we requested a first floor room. Upon inspection of the room our view of the pool and or mountains turned out to be a view of a roof top; nothing even close to what the hotel advertised. I returned back to the desk and asked for a room change-that was not possible. I spoke to the desk supervisor, Rene Delgadillo who told me he was sorry but that there were no rooms available. I went back to my room and again found that the plastic key card did not work. Mr. Delgadillo provided me with another key and offered me a FREE drink ticket. I declined his offer and told him how unhappy we were with our experience. He offered a complimentary future stay at the hotel. The following day at check out I approached Mr. Delgadillo and asked him if he remembered his promise for a complimentary stay. He said that he forgot to add the offer to alert the check out staff but that he would send us confirmation to our home address. It has been a month since our stay at the hotel-did you forget your promise? Mr. Delgadillo, take your offer off the table. We are spending a couple days in Palm Springs this weekend not at the Renaissance.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a view of the mountains/pool and not the roof.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rochelle C, Executive Office at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

First, please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. Regarding the gift certificate, please contact me at 760-416-2925 so that I can make certain that this matter is resolved.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know and we look forwar to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

On behalf of the Martin Greenwood, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Immediately upon arriving at the Renaissance we were greeted with smiles from the bell men in front and continued on to more smiles and welcoming upon check in. Our party arrived as part of a dance competition being held at the Convention Center and I was told the hotel was nearly sold out. Nonetheless, the front desk girls worked to get us a room next to our friends - very much appreciated.

Rooms: our room was a Jr. Suite with Pool View. Adequate room, comfortable bed, nice view of the mountains, pull out sofa that was actually not uncomfortable and room had lots of space. Refrigerator came with Jr. Suite, cold enough for food.

Housekeeping: Knowing we would be using the pullout bed we immediately checked for bedding, which was not in the room. The bathroom also only had two full sized towels, no hand towels or wash cloths, one bar of soap and one cup. Calling down for more bedding required two calls and over an hour and a half for delivery.
Asking the maid in the hallway for more towels and soap she was extremely friendly and gave me anything I asked for.
Next day, we again received only two towels, but 3 hand towels and no wash cloths. Cups were taken, but not replaced.
Next day, again no cups and again only 2 towels. While the maid was very friendly every day, I was a tad frustrated to have to track down towels every afternoon. At this point I complained to my friends... They had also not had shampoo etc replace since the first day and also received only 2 towels with no hand towels.
Next day my daughter and I returned from lunch and she needed to shower to get ready for her competition. Before getting into the shower she called saying there were no towels. Sure enough... not a one in the bathroom... also no cups and no soap. I checked with the maid outside and she said, "I no have... you have to get them yourself. Try calling housekeeping, maybe they can get some." What?? In all my years of traveling I've never been told that I needed to find my own towels.
I called housekeeping for towels and they promised to rush some up. 2 hours later they arrived. Luckily we had a wet beach towel to use.... and we had by then purchased cups when out on an errand.

Now thoroughly frustrated I complained to a manager at the front desk. Explaining that I had purchased a Jr. Suite and expected that for the price I paid - we did not have the competition rate (plus $10/day for parking) that the room should be properly taken care of. As with the rest of the staff, the manager was extremely nice, he apologized over and over and offered to have my room refreshed, however I declined as the room was clean and I had already tracked down my own towels and purchased my own cups. On the rare other occasion that I've had troubles at hotels the manager has always offered to comp my parking, a dinner, something.

Pool: I never entered the pool... the water was so cloudy you could not see the bottom. My daughter swam and always returned to the room to shower the pool water off.

Restaurant: I ordered a sandwich to go and received it quickly and it was good. Breakfast buffet was fine - $20 for the buffet.
Dinner, I joined a group of friends for dinner and our party of 10 took almost 2 hours from sitting down to finishing. And the restaurant was nearly empty. Food was mediocre to not so good. Pasta was good.

Location: When participating at an event at the Convention Center there is nothing more convenient! Easy access.

Overall, the hotel itself is in good shape, nice rooms, nice view, extremely friendly staff. However the hotel seems not to be able to handle large groups. Housekeeping hit and miss, room not refreshed (beds always made and room vacuumed, but many times no towels, soap or cups replaced), pool very cloudy, restaurant food not particularly good and service extraordinarily slow.

For alternate food locations try Sherman's just down the street and Cheeky's for a fabulous breakfast and lunch!

Room Tip: Pool view was nice, but may be noisy if you are looking for a quiet room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Rochelle C, Executive Office at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review and for making the Renaissance Palm Springs your choice for your lodging needs.

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. The opportunities discussed in your review has been shared with the Managers of the Housekeeping and Food and Beverage Departments and you can rest assured that the necessary action plan has been put in place.

We look forward to your return in the not too distant future.

SOUTH CAROLINA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you for a great vacation at the Renaissance Palm Springs. I love this place. My 4th time staying here on the Cabana package. A great deal especially the end of June when it is 110 degrees. The staff was great especially the "Navigator". Beds are very comfortable. Maid service was excellent! See you next year

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for making the Renaissance Palm Springs your choice.

We will certainly let our staff know that their hard work did not go unnoticed.

We look forward to our return visit.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

First, the highlights:

-the lobby area is nicely decorated, inviting and well maintained
-the front desk personnel were all very warm and friendly, in particular the person who checked us in
-the rooms were in good working order
-with one notable exception, the bell staff was very nice
-the staff in the restaurant was great and when I left my iPad behind, they called my room to notify me right away
-the bar staff was very nice

Now some of the reasons that will make me think long and hard before booking again:

-when the half of our group that came in by air called for a shuttle they were curtly told “none are available” We should have known this wasn’t a good sign.

-the rooms were lacking washcloths. When I asked the housekeeper on the floor for some she said she was out and that I just had to call the front desk. Shouldn’t the response have been “I’ll get some and bring them to you” ? Also, there was only one bar of soap in the room. Little things but still not good.

-the hotel was overrun with attendees of a local children’s dance/beauty competition. While everyone has the right to stay in a hotel, they should not forget that there are other guests staying there as well. I was particularly offended that there were children in the bar area and your staff was either powerless to move them along or didn’t care. Often these children were noisily running up and down the corridor outside our rooms. They were often unsupervised. One of these mothers took offense when I asked them to keep it down. A fair warning when we checked in would have been nice so that we could have found suitable arrangements at another hotel. Apparently Palm Springs has a lot of these events and people stay at this hotel because of the proximity to the the convention center. Consider this your fair warning! Now if you are a dance mom then this is your place!

Room Tip: Rooms not facing pool will be quieter during the day. Some rooms are very far from the elevator...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experieinced and we hope that you will return in the not too distant future.

Torrance, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I returned to this property after staying several times last year. Although the weather was extremely warm (110+) the hotel did its best to keep us comfortable. It was the holiday weekend so the staff was not up to its usual attentiveness to detail - the lobby water, albeit delicious with added fruits, ran out midday and was never replaced. The service at the restaurant was horribly slow (no water for 20 minutes after seating) and our breakfast order was wrong, but after waiting almost 40 minutes for it we decided to forgo sending it back. Once the 4th arrived however their true colors shone brightly as the restaurant was fully stocked with chefs, food and waitstaff. Interestingly enough the pool area says 'no coolers' or 'inflatables' but there were many. They should invest in some new hotel floatation as the ones they have are disintegrating. Adding more pool waitstaff would have kept more people from complaining...The pool was evacuated during the day for some kind of 'treatment' - height of the heat - and we were never told why. Makes getting back in a little curious, especially with the preponderance of young children in the pool. Twice dogs were at the pool area, yapping away as their owners cooled off from the heat and they sat poolside. Odd. So while we've had better experiences here than this Fourth of July weekend, it was still a great stay. Large, clean room but should provide free WiFi in all rooms, not just the lobby. Particularly by the pool area.

Room Tip: Pool closes at 10:00 so a room overlooking is a good choice
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and for making the Renaissance Palm Springs your choice for your lodging needs while in Palm Springs. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced.

We have discussed the opportunities with our Food and Beverage Manager and you can rest assured that the necessary action has been taken.

We hope that you will return to the Renaissance Palm Springs in not too distant future.

Darlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

After a hectic weekend on Las Vegas, Palm Springs was our stop off point before San Diego. We only stayed for 1 night but wish it was more. The hotel was lovely and not what we were expecting, brilliant first impression with the lights in the lobby. Our room was great and had a balcony overlooking the pool. It was quiet when we stayed so plenty of space round the pool and hot tub. Food was great and so nice to sit out with the outdoor fires. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochelle C, Executive Office at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013

We look forward to welcoming you back for perhaps a longer stay.

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our second stop on a recent road trip. I was a little apprehensive due to some so so review.However, i was nicely surprised. Firstly we got an upgrade to a suite....nice ! living area, 2 flat screens, excellent. Service throughout the hotel was spot on, no problems there.Pool was huge with plenty of comfy sun beds, again great. Pool water...not so good, in fact it was scruffy.I did relay this to the front desk who were genuinely surprised as no one else had complained !!Which I found that hard to believe.Then came the worst part, and not really the hotels fault, unruly, noisy children left to run riot whilst no doubt their parents were in a quiet corner sunning them selves...out of sight out of mind I think.This happened at the weekend. The weekdays were fine, peace and quiet.So cant blame the hotel I suppose. This is not a negative post,... really, just some things bug you more than others.Would i stay here again?, YES but not at the weekend when american parents/ children seem to think its ok to go ballistic with scant regard for others.!!

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your recent visit to the Renaissance Palm Springs and thank you for making us your choice for your lodging needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Palm Springs.

On behalf of the Martin Greenwood, General Manager

Been to Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!