“Great lake to spend some time on a sunny afternoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Hemet

Lake Hemet
About 50 miles southwest of Palm Springs. Take Highway 111 to Highway 74, Palm Springs, CA
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 64 Attractions in Palm Springs
Type: Bodies of Water
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Located one hour from Palm Springs, this scenic lake at an elevation of 4,500 feet offers overnight camping, hiking, fishing and boating.
Phoenix, Arizona
88 attraction reviews
“Great lake to spend some time on a sunny afternoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Can't really say on the camping, but as a place to stop for a while and relax with a nice walk around the lake area watching people picnicking and fishing and relaxing.. it was great. Nice and picturesque, a nice find on the way to Idyllwild, from Palm Springs.

Visited August 2012

Hemet, California
32 attraction reviews
“Great little lake”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Its a shame you can't go in the lake! the fishing is ok from what I hear, the camping is not the greatest. The site are small and people tend to walk right through your camp to get to the bathroom. FYI, only one bathroom so expect to wait a while

Visited May 2012
Woodcrest, California, United States
“BEAUTIFUL AND RELAXING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We just got back from a family trip, and had a blast. the people there are super nice and helpful. My nephew some how worked them and got all kinds of fishing stuff from the park rangers free. My mother in law and I went on a nice bike ride, we got to go out in a paddle boat, and kayaking for the first time ever. And fishing was great too. We would go back today if we could. Had a great time.

Visited September 2012
Thermal, California
“GREAT GET AWAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Well recommneded for a get away and spend time with the family away from everything and let your brain at ease

Visited June 2012
San Diego
6 attraction reviews
“Great times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I enjoy camping in the Idyllwild area from time to time. It is a great way for my young brother and I to bond. Normally we pack some coolers, grab some wood, grab our stuff and just drive. We like to find a yellow post site (no running water, no hook-ups, nothing) out in the middle of nowhere and set-up camp. I think we can all agree that the best part of camping is hanging out around the campfire all night long and chilling. Due to the huge (summer) fire restrictions, they no longer allow open fires at yellow post sites, so we decided to check out Lake Hemet Campground.

We pulled up and spoke to a very nice lady named Lori. I told her I had never stayed there before and she gave me a map of the grounds. She told me to drive around, pick out several different spots I liked, and come back to the gate to check if they were available. Very nice people here everywhere. This place is HUGE, it took us about an hour just to drive through all 6 camp areas to look at what was available. They have so many lakefront sites here it is very nice. They have Camp1, 2a, 2b, 3, 4, 5a, 5b, 5c, 5d, 5e, and Camp 6. Most of these different camps have many different lakefront tent sites as well as rv hookup sites to choose from. All of the sites come with a nice built in fire-ring, grill, water faucet, and a huge picnic table.

There are huge rest room buildings with showers available at each camp, plus separate indoor toilets with plumbing (not out-houses) scattered about within walking distance from every campsite. I didn't use the shower facilities but my brother told me they were very clean and ran on timers. I did however use the toilet several times that was less than a minute walk from where we camped and it was spotless at all times. They must have cleaned it 10 times in the 2 days that we camped there. It was always spotless, full of toilet paper and antibacterial hand-wash. There were hundreds of kids camping all around us and these sites are very private.

Every employee I encountered at this campground (and I spoke to several) were very happy, friendly, and sociable. I don't fish, however, my brother caught several fish while we were there and the families on both sides of us caught several (very small fish) as well. We all fished off of the shore. Most of this lake is very dried up. I spoke with several people that frequent here and if you want to catch anything big, you will need a boat. All the big one's are way out there. They do rent rowboats, paddle boats, kayak's, pontoons, and motor boats here by the hour, half day, of full day. 10 pm is quiet time here and let me tell you, when 10pm rolled around, you could hear a pin drop.

If you don't wish to sleep here, you can also come just to fish. I believe it is $12 per vehicle and they have a nice size store here where you can purchase bait, ice, food, or a daily fishing license. I will definitely be back here, everybody here (including the other campers) were very nice and accommodating. Most of the people I met here are frequent visitors and come here several times a year.

Visited August 2012