“Sweet room and really fantastic pool!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Sept/Oct Midweek 3 for 2
Ranked #8 of 69 Hotels in Palm Springs
Portland, OR
“Sweet room and really fantastic pool!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I am currently staying in the Poolside Suite, which is large and comfy. The pool is really warm, like bathtub warm, so the lack of a hot tub is no problem at all. The decor is 50s/60s, with glittery wallpaper and plastic Eames chairs (I want an Eames rocker now). There are a few minuses, such as upholstery stains on the couch and curtains that aren't quite level, but overall, this is a great room. For the price midweek, it is totally awesome.

Right down the street is the Viceroy, where we had 14 dollar drinks that I amazingly didn't feel were a ripoff. Seriously, they were strong and very tasty, and I recommend drinking one by the pool. It's very nice there, but a little too trendy feeling for me. I prefer the laid back vibe of the Del Marcos with 40's and 50's jazz playing to modern electronica around the pool, you know?

This is a very laid back place to stay. Definitely recommended!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are great if you want to use the pool, but other rooms look nice upstairs too.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Jersey, Channel Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Del Marcos on our way from San Diego to the Grand Canyon. Palm Springs is a strange little town with a lot of empty shops but it does give that Marilyn Monroe/Frank Sinatra feel of the 50s.
The Del Marcos is one of a kind, an iconic 40s/50s building which has tried to retain its 50s character - it works to a degree.
We booked the Julius Shulman Suite which was comfortably large with a floor to ceiling sliding door to a small shared balcony. The room had a large comfortable bed with integrated kitchen and separate bathroom. The views across to the mountains were wonderful and it also overlooked the pool. We didn't spend much time in the room but it had the facilities we wanted and was pleasantly decorated and furnished. It was comfortable, not luxurious.
The hotel is in a great location and a few minutes stroll to the main centre of Palm Springs. There is a night market on a Thursday and that was good fun and very busy.
Breakfast was typical fare with yoghurt, some fruit, juices, coffee/tea, cereals and a variety of bagels/cakes.
We hit at a quiet period and we really liked that side of the hotel out of season, it could be a different experience in the height of the season when the hotel is full.
For me, the greatest pleasure of staying at the Del Marcos was to sit under the cabana as dusk fell with the fire pit flaming away and the inky skies framed by illuminated palm trees - it was almost decadent and conjured up a bygone age - stunning!
We would happily return to the Del Marcos if returning to Palm Springs and it is a one off oddity that you will either love or it will not be for you - we loved it.

Room Tip: We like our room and I would advise going for one on the first floor rather than the ground floor if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I recently stayed at the Del Marcos Hotel with my 2 smaller dogs & the accommodations for us all were ideal. You have to admit a concrete floor is good for the dogs plus an enclosed patio area - perfect! And the kitchen size was large, so preparing their specialized food was convenient. And the room is easy to get in & out of with 2 leashes & parking is also quite convenient. I loved that there were 2 dog bowls filled with treats that were awaiting us as we checked in! I also want to comment on the bed - very comfortable. And lastly, when I checked out, I had left a bag with some items on the bed, by mistake & the staff was so kind to make it so easy to come & retrieve - very nice guest relations!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was the third time we have stayed at the Del Marcos. For decor, service, and cleanliness, The Del Marcos is hard to beat! I'd whole heartedly recommend the place. Walking distance to down town as well. Lots of great restaurants and bars in the area.

Room Tip: The Chi Chi room is amazing!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

just returned from a 2 night stay at the Del Marcos. As a fan of midcentury design I was really looking forward to this hotel. On a positive note the hotel is in a good location and has some nice mountain views. The lobby was nice with some great danish modern furnishings. The pool was heated and the pool area is nice. The complimentary Tecate was a nice touch. Skylar who was working the front desk was very nice. The problem with the place was the room, the shower leaked non stop, the attempted solution was to keep a towel in the shower floor to minimize the noise ( the noise was still noticeable) the bathroom was really horrible, moldy tiles/grout, the bath door was damaged at the bottom and door didn't close properly, shower curtain kept falling off, the threshold between bedroom and bath was loose, the baseboards were dirty, there was a very pathetic small cheap shelf for storage. In the main room the upholstered sitting chair was badly stained, the mouldings around the cabinetry were broken away, the bed was horribly uncomfortable...I could go on. I thought perhaps I just got a bad room that needed repairs but I also looked at two other rooms while there and they both had gross bathrooms and the rooms were rough, no amount of midcentury decor can make up for a dirty and poorly maintained room. The Del Marcos has so much potential but unfortunately the property owners have forgotten about attention to detail.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Del Marcos Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

That was the hardest review I've ever had to read (see) about my hotel because I am completely responsible for the condition of that room. We are in the process of going through each room and “finishing” them up, that particular room, having the lowest occupancy rate, has been low on my priority list and for that I have to humbly accept the criticism.

I do apologize your stay was less than expected. I know that you did mention to a staff member about the leaky shower faucet and I feel that your complaint was not handled properly for which I also accept the responsibility. The main water valve had to be shut off for the plumbing repair and we had been trying to coordinate the appropriate time that we could turn off water with the availability of the plumber and not affect the in house guests. The repair was done two days after you checked out and the shower head no longer leaks.

That room is currently closed and will remain so until it has undergone a complete overhaul. Keep an eye out, I'll post the pictures very soon! I do take exception with the comment that all the rooms are bad. My Housekeeping Manager and I inspected every bathroom and that was the only room with any sign of mold, which has been attributed to the leaky shower head. Our bathrooms are not dirty, just old and some are in need of a facelift (which they are receiving). We have received many wonderful reviews mentioning the cleanliness of our hotel and I welcome anyone to stop by and see for themselves.

I became the GM just over a year ago and am extremely proud of the improvements made during my first year. The Del Marcos Hotel is definitely a work in progress and every single staff member works very hard to insure our guests have an enjoyable, comfortable stay with us.

As the General Manager, I take every complaint seriously as they personally affect me. In the Thank You for Staying With us Letter every guest receives by email after their stay with us, I include my personal email address and encourage all guests to send me their recommendations and suggestions for improvements to the hotel. I do receive emails & genuinely appreciate all comments good or bad and am quick to make corrections when necessary. I wish you had spoken directly to me about this matter, I am a concerned manager and would most likely have comped your stay if you couldn't have been upgraded to a larger room.

Laura Ramstead
Del Marcos Hotel GM
Tacoma, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had very pleasant stay at the Del Marcos. The place is more motel perhaps than hotel but in a cool way. Relaxed comfortable spot with nice touches and friendly staff. A little rough around the edges but clean and well-kept. In great area close to restaurants, shops and interesting neighborhoods to explore. Take advantage of the complementary cruiser bikes to see the sights and get a little exercise.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed for 1 night at the Del Marcos Hotel in July 2012

We stayed in the E. Stewart Williams Room

First off this hotel is located in a great area in Palm Springs. It is within walking distance from the shopping/restaurant area.

When we arrived we were greeted by a kid who looked like he couldn't have been more than 16. Now, we have no problems whatsoever understanding English, but when he talked it sounded more like a barrage of words coming at you instead of complete sentences.
Anyway, he gave us our key and complimentary beer and white wine, and helped us with our luggage.

When we first entered the room, we were a bit disappointed.
The bare concrete floor wasn't exactly inviting, and the sparse decor didn't help either.
It is not a bad room, but looking at the pictures of the other rooms on their website, I don't think I would choose the E. Stewart Williams room again.

We left the hotel to check out the city, and were pleasantly surprised to learn that they have a street fair every Thursday where they close down the main street and set up small stands along the road.
A very nice way to spend an evening.

We returned to the hotel at around 10PM, and decided to take a dip in the pool.
It was great lying in the pool looking up at the stars and the palm trees and the San Jacinto Mountains. At that point it was still in the 90's, so a nice way to cool down as well.

I really like this hotel. The service and value was great, plus it is very charming. The only thing I would change if we ever come back to Palm Springs, is that I would choose another room

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Del Marcos Hotel? Share your experiences!