“Poor experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Sonora, California
“Poor experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I booked a trip here for three nights through Expedia well in advance of what is one of Palm Springs busiest weekends - The Tour of Palm Springs - a bicycle classic!

My gal and I drove approx. 500 miles to get there on Friday night at 8:30pm. When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk/office was CLOSED. Locked. Shut. No one there!

There was a phone number posted for "late arrivals". Mind you this is on a weekend where 10-15000 cyclists and there families show up from all over the country to ride early the next morning!!!

We called the number immediately and no one picked up the phone. Further, it was a generic recording and NO opportunity to leave a message. By this, around 9pm, I'm starting to panic! No hotel room on a busy weekend! I immediately started calling around to try and find something - luckily I was able to snag a room for the weekend - the FAR better Colony Palms Hotel (see my review).

Around 10pm, 90 minutes after I called the "late arrival" number I got a call from movie colony hotel asking if I was checking in? I explained to them that No, I would not be checking in and was canceling my plans with them in light of their failure to be there and leaving me with no option but to seek another hotel.

Because my reservation had been through Expedia and was an "internet special" and prepaid I had to contact Expedia for a refund. Suffice it to say that experience did not go well. I spent hours on the phone over several calls while Expedia tried to "negotiate" with the hotel to get me a refund. Neither Expedia not the hotel would process a full refund - charging me for one night even though we never stayed there.

I finally had no choice but to contact Visa who did the right thing and refunded my money.

I would never stay with a hotel that
1) doesn't staff their front desk on a Friday night at 8:30 on a busy weekend
2) doesn't profusely apologize and immediately refund the money if anything like the above happened.

And I will never use Expedia again. They tried to get me to "forget about it" by placing me on hold for hours, making me repeat my story to multiple personnel, make me hold while they spoke with hotel rather than calling me back, and ultimately saying sorry you're out of luck! Well I'm not out of luck but they are out of luck thinking I will ever book with them again. Smart choice Expedia!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I am staying at Movie Colony now. So many things are wrong. I booked and prepaid back in October for an upgraded room with private terrace. When I arrived they down graded me to a terrible small room. The next day I called Booking.com and they called the front desk and got me my room that I had paid for. Movie Colony said it was a clerical error. I had to pack up everything and moved to a downstairs room with a patio. But they have 2 wifi, moviecolony1 for upstairs rooms, and moviecolony2 for the downstairs rooms. I had to hook up a second time. I now have to listen to the people upstairs as the ceiling is making a creaky sound every time they walk across the room. The breakfast is a joke. The happy hour has terrible wine. This place is old and dirty. I cannot lay on the chairs on my patio as they are very uncomfortable and does not have cushions. You have to park on a side street and walk in through a side door after 7pm, and I don't feel safe doing that at night. I hate this location. Last year I stayed at The Old Ranch Inn on Patencio Street and I like the tennis court section of town much better. No one is friendly here. It is a very cold environment. I wish I could leave.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
MCHMGMT, Manager at Movie Colony Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
I am very sorry to learn that your stay thus far has been unpleasant.
I apologize for any inconvenience that transferring rooms might have caused you. The issue was taken care of immediately. We assisted you with transferring your luggage to the patio room, which was the room booked for your stay. I was unaware of the dislike of your room. If notified, we would have gladly upgraded you to a terrace at no cost. Regarding our breakfast, I am sorry to hear of your dislike. Our continental breakfast consist of freshly baked bagels from our local bakery, Aspen Mills, granola, fruit, yogurt, milk and orange juice. We have multiple routers around the property to offer our guest better internet service. I apologize for the inconvenience of re-lodging in. I am sorry to hear that you disliked our wine selection. If we may, we would like to invite you to try our “Dean Martini’’, which is also offered at happy hour. We are sorry that you found your patio lounge chairs uncomfortable, but are glad to see that you have been enjoying our pool furniture. We apologize that our lobby hours are an inconvenience to you, we can assure you that our property is secure. I am extremely disappointed to hear you find our staff unfriendly, and ambience cold, we take great pride on the level of customer service we provide. Please accept my apologize if at any time you felt unwelcomed. We appreciate these last few days of your stay. I hope that you can give us the opportunity to make your next few nights delightful, but if you feel that our hotel is not suitable to meet your needs, please do not hesitate on contacting me. I will be glad to assist you in any way possible to make your stay in Palm Springs a memorable one.
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend for a family/friends gathering. After making our reservations, I noticed on Trip Advisor that there is someone at the front desk from 9am to 7pm. I was concerned about our check-in since we were arriving at 9pm. I contacted them and they responded promptly on how to check-in after hours. It worked out great. We had a patio room right near the reception/breakfast area in the courtyard. Most people were pretty considerate regarding talking loudly outside the room so that did not affect us. There is a restaurant next door and the people there were a little loud. In the morning, the housekeepers spray down and sweep the floors outside. This did not bother us that much. The breakfast was minimal (coffee, juice, fruit, bagels, yogurt) but really all you need to start the day. The room was quite clean. Yes... this place is "older" but we liked the retro-vibe. My biggest problem was that I felt the bed was too soft for my taste. Also, the wall air-conditioner was hard to regulate. A small suggestion for the motel is that it would be nice to have a full-length mirror in the room. There was plenty of wall space and it would be convenient when getting ready. The location was great for walking into town. We didn't take advantage of the bicycles but it is a nice feature. One night we came home from dinner around 10pm. When we got to the hotel, all the designated parking spots were filled and we didn't know where to park since the surrounding lots were private. It was unclear if we could park on the streets since no one else seem to be doing it. It would have been nice to know alternative areas to park. All in all, this was very nice place to stay and would stay here again. Next time, I would like to try a terrace room or one by the pool.

Room Tip: Room 14 is near the reception/breakfast area. The room was fine but when you open the door, there ar...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Absolutely wonderful place to stay. Large accommodations. My daughter and I had driven down from LA after a 14 hour flight from Australia, they let us check in early, no problems at all. Alina was the perfect host. She was very friendly, knowledgeable about the area and a pleasure to talk to. We will be back for a longer stay next time. Fantastic price for what you get. Thank-you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
MCHMGMT, Manager at Movie Colony Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We greatly appreciate your recognition of our wonderful front desk agent. Alina is highly appreciative of your review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to your future trip to Palm Springs!
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

This hotel is exquisite it is small but this make it so good. We travel from Germany to la an las Vegas an in between we stay in Palm Springs. You can walk to the city center in 5 minutes. The nicest area was the pool when you lay here you are in another world it is so relaxing and quite and the music is perfect mix so if someone from the hotel management read this please send the play list we are thinking a lot of times to this holiday and this special feeling so if it's possible please let me know

• Stayed May 2013
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My business partner and I just had one of our clients destination wedding at the Movie Colony Hotel in Palm Springs. It is a beautiful space and a unique wedding venue. Juana, the events manager, was a pleasure to work with. She is great at getting down the details and making the experience fun. They give us access to the entire venue and very flexible with all of our client's requests. Service was amazing throughout the entire planning process. Our clients and all of the guests were impressed with the courtesy and attention from the staff.

Room Tip: Every view is a great view. Mountains are always preferred!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! It is our pleasure to be able to assist, with the hopes to lessen some of the stress that planning an event can be. We look forward to another opportunity to work with you, and once again, thank you for your comments!
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We just went to Palm Springs for the weekend to celebrate our 1st anniversary and were delighted to stay at this peaceful retreat. When we told them what we coming to celebrate, they provided us with a townhouse suite right by the pool for the price of a terrace room. We took advantage of the private terrace and dined on take-out food right next to the pool on Saturday, after meeting some nice people at the complimentary happy hour. It was almost like we had the place to ourselves. The staff was super friendly and helpful with recommendations for local spots and we were pretty much in the heart of town but secluded enough to have a quiet stay. They also arranged early check-in and late check-out for us so we could fully enjoy our anniversary. Highly recommend this place for a nice, relaxing stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Movie Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!