“Sinatra Sings” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 72 Hotels in Palm Springs
wales
“Sinatra Sings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

After a four day stay I had re-learned the words of many Sinatra era songs. I enjoyed the constant background music but it could be an irritation to others.
The hotel is conveniently situated and within easy walking distance of many excellent restaurants and the Thursday night market. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with a good sized swimming pool and jakuzi. The wine flows during the happy hour and this is a great way to meet fellow guests and learn in more detail about the tourist attractions.The breakfasts are also taken around the bar area and there is constant hot water and tea/coffee throughout the day. Overall we found it excellent value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Movie Colony Hotel. Our two-room suite was spacious and quiet. Room number 12 even has 2 bathrooms and a kitchen which makes it convenient for two people. The happy hour was a pleasant surprise and the evening fire pit became a conversation hub for guests to get acquainted. The hotel is within walking distance of downtown shopping, the museum and a variety of restaurants. The continental breakfast is limited (especially if you have dietary issues such as lactose intolerance) but the morning conversation around the breakfast bar was enjoyable.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms require walking up stairs and some are right off of the pool, so keep that in mind when r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pasadena, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I wanted to believe it would be a quaint, retro spot. I expected that it would have drawbacks but that I would overlook them because of the mid century "charm" - but I couldn't.

The carpet was stained and disgusting. The furniture was stained and broken in some places. The shutters were partially broken, there was no stopper in the sink, there were extra holes still in the wall where they had moved towel bars. The soap holder in the shower was worn through to the base plastic, the shower drain was chipped and nasty looking. I couldnt get the water hot in the morning and the temp changed randomly, like another room had run their water and I'd lose my hot water.

The door wouldn't close right and twice when I returned to the room the door was ajar when I thought I had locked it, oh yeah they still use regular keys in the locks, not magnetic cards. so gawd knows who still has a key to your room.

Most other negative items other reviewers mentioned, I experienced those too, I just don't want to spend and hour recalling all the bad things.

Nice enough staff, but a run down nasty place that I would never stay at again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We just enjoyed a three night stay here, in a poolside room. The staff was super friendly and helpful! The continental breakfast and nightly happy hour were really nice to have. Only 16 rooms, a pool and jacuzzi open 24hrs and no lil tykes allowed. Nice.
We were able to walk or bike everywhere.
The building is retro and is a little piece of history, so if you are looking for a cookie cutter chain hotel, stay away and leave it to us that appriciate historical Palm Springs.
Thanks, we would love to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Laying out by the pool, tunes by Sinatra, Martin and Buble filled the warm air. Great atmosphere for those who just want to relax and rest in beautiful Palm Springs. I stayed in a classic room which had a King size bed, a simple bathroom with fantastic water pressure, couple of couch like chairs, and a flat screen tv. From 8:30AM to 10:30AM the hotel provides a continental breakfast which consisted of bagels, cream cheese, jams and honey, granola cereal, fruit, yogurt, coffee, teas, oj and ice water. In the evening, oh my goodness, it's happy hour time with wine and in house made cocktails. Superb! There are bicycles for use by hotel guests which was a great means of transportation for those who just wanted to cruise the nearby downtown area. The only couple of downsides that I noticed was that the location, although quite close to downtown and nearby restaurants, only has one restaurant nearby (El Mirasol). The other restaurant I frequented which was only 3 blocks away was Trio. Both restaurants were fantastic. The last downside was the temperature of the pool. It was cold!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This feels like a converted motel that is now quite long in the tooth. The overall decor which was once nicer is now shabby. On the positive side the rooms are large and decks spacious. The rugs are filthy. We enjoyed Palm Springs but were disappointed in the Movie Colony.

Room Tip: High floor has less noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Aptos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were really looking forward to staying here. When we arrived, after waiting over 5 minutes for hotel staff to come to the desk, we were informed that you must be 21 to stay at the hotel because there is no fence around the pool. Our son is 12. There is nothing on their website about this rule. Also, there is no staff member onsite overnight.

The front desk lady said she would call the hotel next door to see if they had rooms and spoke to the owner about letting us stay. Both times she acted like it was my oversight that led to the problem. She was not friendly but said we could say if my son stayed out of the pool. Yes, let's keep the kid who has been in the car since dawn out of the pool! They only reason I book hotels with pools is for him to work out his wiggles.

It was clear to me that we were NOT their target market. After her suggestion that we could check with the Marriot, I said I would handle it myself and went out to the car and used my Trip Advisor app to find the Days Inn. So glad we did.

Even if we were over 21, I think I would not stay here. The staff person was unhelpful, seemed uninterested in our plight, and whatever the pictures look like, the place is tiny. Boutique is an apt description.

Room Tip: The road is loud so get a room as far away from it as possible
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family