“Movie Colony stay last weekend 10-12 to 10-14” 3 of 5 stars

Movie Colony Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   726 North Indian Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92262   |
Ranked #25 of 69 Hotels in Palm Springs
Los Angeles, California
“Movie Colony stay last weekend 10-12 to 10-14”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This feels like a converted motel that is now quite long in the tooth. The overall decor which was once nicer is now shabby. On the positive side the rooms are large and decks spacious. The rugs are filthy. We enjoyed Palm Springs but were disappointed in the Movie Colony.

Room Tip: High floor has less noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Aptos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were really looking forward to staying here. When we arrived, after waiting over 5 minutes for hotel staff to come to the desk, we were informed that you must be 21 to stay at the hotel because there is no fence around the pool. Our son is 12. There is nothing on their website about this rule. Also, there is no staff member onsite overnight.

The front desk lady said she would call the hotel next door to see if they had rooms and spoke to the owner about letting us stay. Both times she acted like it was my oversight that led to the problem. She was not friendly but said we could say if my son stayed out of the pool. Yes, let's keep the kid who has been in the car since dawn out of the pool! They only reason I book hotels with pools is for him to work out his wiggles.

It was clear to me that we were NOT their target market. After her suggestion that we could check with the Marriot, I said I would handle it myself and went out to the car and used my Trip Advisor app to find the Days Inn. So glad we did.

Even if we were over 21, I think I would not stay here. The staff person was unhelpful, seemed uninterested in our plight, and whatever the pictures look like, the place is tiny. Boutique is an apt description.

Room Tip: The road is loud so get a room as far away from it as possible
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Edina, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I loved loved loved this place. There are only 18 units, and is truly a boutique hotel. We had a 2nd floor terrace room overlooking the courtyard (not the pool) and it was spacious, and was decorated so nicely. The photos on their website do not lie. The landscaping is beautiful and the views of the nearby mountain ranges are great. There's a complimentary daily Happy Hour and morning breakfast at the "bar" in the courtyard. This is a nice way to meet fellow travelers and compare notes and sightseeing ideas.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rialto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Loved this place. I scored a summer special and we stayed 1 night. LOVED that it is 21 and over!!! The staff was wonderful, happy hour was a pleasant surprise, the bed was comfortable, the outdoor patio was secluded. We didn't get in the pool but I like that it is open 24 hours.

We walked a couple of blocks to have dinner and then walked to downtown from there. It was wonderful! My only complaint is the floor is woven jute and it hurt my feet to walk on it. That will not stop me from going back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sausalito
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is an excellent hotel in many ways except one: the air conditioners. The first room had an old through-the-wall unit that was terribly noisy. The front desk moved me to a different room which was slightly better. Granted, AC noise is a chronic problem with many hotels in Palm Springs. But this is a town where you often need the AC running all night, so only hotels with new equipment merit the best ratings.

On other fronts, the staff was helpful, the continental breakfast was fine, and the location was great -- walkable to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I came here for business with a dash of pleasure. The check in person was so nice when I commented on the music they were playing & he even made me a mixed CD that he gave me the next day. I liked the shared/community style refridgerator that they have set up outside for cocktail/snack happy hour and breakfast that allows you to meet other guests. Had a wonderful time each time I've stayed and met very interesting people from all over!

Room Tip: just ask and they will be glad to assist. be specific of what you would like...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have to say that I'm a regular in palm springs but, after trying several different hotels, I have found the one that I love the most.
This is a very private small hotel, only 16 beautiful rooms, most of them 2 stories town house, adult over 21 only, very private and very nice. The rooms are large and very well kept, with a/c, a perfectly working refrigerator, nice balcony or terrace, nice bathrobes and very comfortable king size beds with fluffy pillows and comforters. The whole place is very quiet, very few adult only around, most of the times the pool, very nice one, is there just for you. The jacuzzi works perfectly and so does the free Internet connection all over the whole property. Guest have continental breakfast included and free drinks in the afternoon. Nice breakfast that include a variety of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, several types of bagels, cream cheese and marmalade, fresh orange juice, and tea, American coffee and French coffe. All day long there is fresh water and coffe available. The girls at the reception are extremely nice, Alina is a sweetheart always readily available if you need anything. It's like being in you own private resort, your home away from home! There are even free bicycles for the guest to use, and parking is free. It's on the side of the streets where you get the sun longest hours, and very close to all the downtown restaurants that are in walking distance. The nicest hotel I have been to in a long time, and inexpensive too!! Not to be missed! Perfect for romantic getaways, or for friend who wants peace and quiet. Being an adult only place you are allowed to bring your drinks even to the pool area. Fantastic!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MCHMGMT, Manager at Movie Colony Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we want to thank for your recognition of our front desk staff. We appreciate all your wonderful comments. We look forward to a future stay with us.

Been to Movie Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!