“A welcome oasis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of East Canyon Hotel and Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
East Canyon Hotel and Spa
288 E.Camino Monte Vista, Palm Springs, CA 92262   |
Special Offer
Free Night!
Toronto
“A welcome oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

My partner and I just returned from a wonderfully relaxing week at the East Canyon. This is a lovely, quiet and well-appointed place to stay, which we highly recommend without reservation. It is no wonder it has won hospitality awards.

East Canyon isn't a large place and that is at the heart of its appeal. It is quiet and intimitately sized, and well laid out around a central garden/pool/hot tub with plenty of comfortable seating - at tables and on pool-side lounges.

Richard, the Innkeeper, is a genuinely kind and helpful person who is exactly the type of person who should be running an establishment like this. He and his staff have done their best to think of everything a guest might need to enjoy some time in the sun - from a sizable lending library for poolside reading, to making iced tea available on the patio every afternoon, to providing sun tanning products in the event you run out or require something with a stronger SPF than you packed. And if one doesn't want to leave the complex for lunch, Richard has a sandwich menu and, through an arrangement with a local eatery, will happily place an order for you.

We were in a Junior Suite, which is very spacious and well-appointed with luxe, stylish furnishings and very comfortable bedding.

Every morning, a small breakfast is set out - fresh fruit, yoghurt, muffins, breads and bagels, cereals, juices, etc. - the perfect way to start a day with one of a variety of newspapers (local and national) to which the Inn subscribes. It is also an opportunity to meet and speak with other guests and trade ideas about attractions and places to eat dinner. It appeared to us that most of our fellow travellers were couples and likely relatively comfortably off.

I'm recovering from cancer and am not as energetic or outgoing as I normally am. Richard and his staff really went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable.

Incidentally, the weather was remarkable - about 90 degrees and sunny each day - or about 60 degrees warmer than Toronto when we left! Although I had to stay out of the sun, I did enjoy reading quietly in the shade on the ample and lushly landscaped patio.

There are a variety of spa treatments available on-site. I took advantage of a massage and reflexology treatment, both of which were perfectly relaxing, therapeutic and expertly administered.

It is important to note, as have other reviewers, that this is NOT at all a cruisy hotel. Nor is it clothes-optional. If that is what you want from your Palm Springs experience, this is NOT the place for you. But if you want a well-appointed, well looked after, friendly, relaxing setting, you may have found a tiny piece of paradise at the East Canyon.

The only point I'd note for you is this - I dont think the pictures on the Inn's website do justice to the place - it is even more charming than the website photos suggest.

We look forward to returning, in better health, to enjoy more of the wonderful mid-century architecture and furnishings and accessories that abound in Palm Springs.

Stayed April 2007

224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2007

My partner and I just had an enjoyable stay at the East Canyon Hotel and Spa.

As far as the upscale gay "hotels" in town go (and we have stayed at all of them) this is the best.

However, the first time visitor to P.S. should understand that none of these places could accurately (at least in my opinion) be called a hotel.

I consider them all to be bed and breakfasts.

East Canyon is in a quiet location, not an easy walk to downtown but doable. It is an older apartment building/motel that has been tastefully updated.

The staff is very professsional as well as friendly.

Richard, the owner, is on site frequently which is a rarity for these places.

The guests are comprised mainly of couples, but there are some singles as well. This place is not the least bit cruisy.

The pool is lovely and very relaxing, the jacuzzi very small. There is no gym but they do have some fantastic spa treatments available on site.

We availed ourselves of several massages and they were first rate, on par with a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons.

Our room (a junior suite) was spacious, recently updated and had a very comfy bed and lovely sheets.

All in all a very pleasant stay and we would not hesitate to recommend this place to our friends.

• Liked — The spa treatments
  • Disliked — Somewhat stingy on replentishing toiletries.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

I had never been to Palm Springs before and I wanted to visit a non-sleazy gay resort that offered all of the amenities one can find in a larger luxury property minus the hassles that come with staying at one of those mega-resorts (such as having to find the swimming pool on a map or shlepp 10 minutes from your car to your room). The folks at East Canyon really got it right. What they've done is create a sophisticated gay (and straight friendly too! ) environment that is intimate, lush and friendly -- the perfect place for a short or extended getaway in the sun. The newly renovated rooms are beautiful and spacious -- they can compete with rooms found in some of the better boutique hotels. The outdoor space around the pool is well-maintained and the deck chairs are comfortable and abundant. Richard, the owner, did a great job of introducing guests to one another, and he was a wonderful resource as to all things Palm Springs. I highly recommend East Canyon.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoneix, az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2007

We have stayed in most all of the gay hotels in Palm Springs and East Canyon is by far the best.

The grounds and our room were immaculately clean (unlike most of the ones in Warm Sands that are borderline dirty and smell musty).

The rooms are very large and well-designed. Ours had a flat panel TV, DVD, super soft sheets and down comforters. They have great bath soaps and shampoos.

The staff and the owner were warm, friendly and very helpful. Everyone (including the housekeeper) made an effort to make sure everything was first-class and we enjoyed our stay. the morning breakfast buffet was ample and the whole setting gave us an opportunity to make some new friends.

There is a spa but we didn't utilize it (the time slots we wanted were already booked), but the other guys said their massages were top-notch.

This is not a sex-joint - it's a classy, clean, comfortable, friendly place to stay and have the right amount of privacy as well as the right amount of meeting new people. There's no attitude and the staff goes out of their way to make sure everyone is comfortable.

We'll be back!

Steve and Tom

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

What a wonderful stay at East Canyon. Richard and his staff provided for our every needs during our stay. We opted for the 3 night/spa package. In our opinion, this is the best value. Our room was a Jr. Suite just footsteps from the hot tub. We went to Palm Springs to relax and we did just that. The room was large and very clean. The hotel was beautiful and quiet. The continental breakfast was more than enough to eat. However, we would like to see coffee available at an earlier hour for those of us dealing with time changes. Jeremy was most helpful in making reservations. The spa treatments were as scheduled and delightlfully relaxing as well. We can't not say enough great things about East Canyon and its staff, so much that we hope to return in April. Kudos to Richard for his great boutique hotel!
Curtis and Aris

• Liked — great value, nice large clean room, service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

I just got back from Palm Springs, where my movie, "East Side Story", showed at the 2007 Palm Springs International Film Festival. I had the pleasure to stay at East Canyon. I love this place! Even thought this time I went alone, I have stayed at East Canyon many times before with my partner. We always have a great time. Richard, the owner, is a warm, gracious host. The atmostphere is relaxed elegance. East Canyon attracts an attractive, fairly affluent crowd. This is not to say there's attitude. From the numerous times I've been there, I still have to meet a guest that wasn't engaging and/or polite. The rooms are spacious, elegant and extremely clean. WARNING: This is not a "pick-up" place. If your idea of a good time in PS is frolicking around the pool with a bunch of naked --- - stay away! However, if you're looking for a relaxed, impeccably clean place, East Canyon is it. A wonderful place to go on a romantic weekend getaway, or with a group of friends, or just when you need to get the hell out of LA for some peace and sun.

Stayed January 2007
Guildford, surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2007

I chose this hotel to stay over the new year with our wonderful American friends. This hotel has a great website, which looks wonderful. We wanted a hotel that did not allow nudity and that also allowed lesbians. It's a spa hotel, so it sounded like the perfect choice.

Unlike the other reviews on this hotel, I do not agree that Richard was polite and helpful. In fact, I believe that he should not be in the hospitality trade at all. He did not want to help us arrange taxis and meals out, although after a few huffs and puffs they did. Everything seemed to be a chore. He made us feel like we were a nuisance.

We took a trip to the Joshua Tree park. On departure we waited in the reception area of the hotel in our shorts and tee shirts and not once did Richard or any other member of staff inform us that it was going to be very cold at the park because of the higher altitude. We were all absolutely frozen by the time we got back. We did inform him of this but he was not bothered. He even said that he was pleased we had been gone all day because it meant that he could go home!! Another day out was to a town called Idyllwild. The management said that it was a dull place with plaid clothed lesbians and not much else. It turned out to be our best day out! Wonderful art galleries, beautiful scenery and views and not a butch lesbian in sight. Great food, great hospitality and fiendly people who could not do enough for us. So he was completely wrong.

We decided to have drinks by the pool, which we had to provide ourselves, of course, as nothing was available. I was informed that the hotel was not a party hotel and that the staff were hoping we were not going to sit around with a drink all day. Now, we are in no way party animals. We are refined gay men and women who want a quiet holiday, but still want to enjoy ourselves during our very expensive stay.

Breakfast was very basic - cold boiled eggs, rabbit food and a small plate of fruit. If there are only a few rooms filled then they do not even put out breakfast - you have to ask for it! On one occasion I went to the fridge for a cranberry juice as there was nothing out and I thought it was still breakfast time - I was very rudely informed never to go into the fridge and that breakfast was over. In a hotel that charges so much you would expect a little more service and a lot more politeness. There were only one complimentary drinks on one evening and only basic iced tea during the day, which was often empty. In other hotels we have stayed at their have been complimentary drinks every evening for an hour or so. This creates a friendly sociable atmosphere where people can meet and converse. We were not made to feel like he wanted us to meet any othe the other guests.

We have stayed at many gay boutique hotels and this was by far the worst in terms of catering for our needs. We were not made to feel at home as we have done in other hotels such as Alexander's in Key West. At Alexander's, we felt at home, like we belonged there. The owners became friends and we met wonderful like minded people. This was all down to attention to detail, a friendly atmosphere, courtesy, service with a smile and a genuine desire to be with the guests and want the very best for them. At East Canyon they are too busy counting the money. Any hotel that charges the full price a month before arrival (probably invested), where the owner sweeps the paths himself instead of hiring a handy man and where they are rude to you for taking a drink from the fridge does not deserve repeat customers.

The rooms, however, were very nice and clean and the pool was wonderful. I did not have any of the spa treatments, but my friends said they were very good. The cleaner works extremely hard and is probably paid very little. All in all, we felt as if we were staying in a hotel run by a very tight fisted hotelier, who counted every penny. Despite all this and only because of the company we were with, we had a wonderful holiday. If we had stayed somewhere else it would have been perfect. In summary - Not luxury, not enjoyable and certainly not recommended.

• Liked — The rooms and the pool
  • Disliked — the owner
  • Tips/Secrets — Try anywhere else
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
RichardPS, Owner at East Canyon Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2007
We run a small (15 room) boutique hotel committed to providing all guests with a superior level of service and quality. All comments, both positive and negative, are extremely important to us as we continue to strive to provide the very best experience for the gay traveler.

While the reviewer is certainly entitled to his opinion, the preceding review contains many misstatements of fact and it is appropriate that they be corrected.

We made several recommendations for dining and transport for this guest and his party of eight people. In fact, we emailed suggested dining choices with descriptions and menu overviews in advance of their arrival to facilitate this. The reviewer did not ask us to make reservations – they handled that themselves. Well over an hour was spent by me helping the reviewer arrange transportation to LAX at the end of their stay, searching for more economical means than they had previously arranged.

Regarding the guests’ trip to Joshua Tree Park, my partner mentioned to one of the group the previous evening that Joshua Tree would be colder than Palm Springs, and that they should dress warmly. This advice was apparently not heeded. Also, I never stated that I was “glad they were gone all day, so that I could go home”. This is simply untrue. The reviewer completely misrepresents our description of Idyllwild as well.

The guest states that they were not party animals. The guests and their friends spent many days by the pool, drinking from 9AM to midnight. Other guests in the hotel that week made several comments regarding their behavior. The reviewer and his partner did join the other guests at one of our evening receptions, but kept to themselves and did not attempt to chat with anyone outside their group. They did not join us for two other receptions. At poolside, they stayed as a group and did not welcome any other guests.

For our breakfast service, we provide an expanded continental breakfast from 8:00 AM until 10:00 AM, as stated on our website. Breakfast includes fruits, cereal, yogurts, bread, muffins, bagels, coffee, teas and juices. In addition on some days we include a meat and cheese platter. This hardly qualifies as “rabbit food”.

When there are a smaller number of guests in-house, a personalized breakfast tray is served poolside to each guest.

Our kitchen is a working kitchen, and not available for use by guests. This guest felt that our working kitchen was an extension of his room, and that he was entitled to help himself to whatever supplies he wanted at whatever hour, without the courtesy of asking. He also felt that breakfast should be continued until noon, which was the time he helped himself to juices well after the breakfast hour. We ask guests to use the in-room refrigerators provided and the honor bar which is available 24 hours a day.

We do require a full deposit 30 days in advance over the Christmas and New Year’s holiday period. This is clearly stated on both our website and the confirmation that the guest received at time of booking. It certainly is not an unusual practice. Some resorts require payment a full year in advance over this same time period. If the reviewer had an issue with that, there was certainly ample time to cancel and rebook somewhere else.

I find the snobbery of the guest’s statement that it was inappropriate for me to be cleaning the deck “instead of hiring a handyman” offensive. It had stormed the night before and everyone on staff, myself included, pitched in as required. To us, assisting with cleaning around the property represents paying attention to detail, and reinforces the concept that everyone on staff is responsible for ensuring our property is neat and clean at all times. That the reviewer states that we are “too busy counting the money” and that our housekeeper “is paid very little” and the owner is “tightfisted” are statements for which not only is there no proof, but also not relevant to the quality of the experience. (For the record, our housekeeper enjoys a salary significantly higher than the most properties in our area – including the major chains).

This guest stayed with us for 7 days. During that period there was not one complaint from him or any member of his party as to either our service or the property. I personally ask every guest, every day, if there is anything else that they might need or if there is anything amiss – nothing was ever said.

We pride ourselves on providing superior service and accommodations for all of our guests, as all the other reviews listed here illustrate. Unfortunately, this guest could not be pleased.

Been to East Canyon Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!