“Friendly, Clean, Quiet, Sometimes Naked” 4 of 5 stars

La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa
2.5 of 5 Villa   |   1491 South Via Soledad, Palm Springs, CA 92264   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Friendly, Clean, Quiet, Sometimes Naked”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

A friend and I were in the area for Coachella. Though it was quite a distance from the event, we wanted something that would be a respite from the constant thump-thump of a three-day music festival in the desert. This place was just what we needed.

Though neither my travel companion nor I are prudes, we were a little surprised to find that this resort is clothing optional. We're big city gays and have seen it all, so it was no big deal. Just a bit surprised at first. If nudity offends you or makes you uncomfortable, this is probably not the place for you.

In a nutshell, here is what I liked:

Super-friendly hosts/staff.
Clean rooms/property.
Very comfortable beds.
Quiet surroundings.
Gay friendly.
Affordable.

Even though I would definitely recommend this place, one area I thought needed work. The Continental breakfast was a little lacking. Food was clearly store bought and was the same thing every day. It wasn't gross, I guess I just expected more from a gay resort. One other minor thing: The tech amenities in the room could be updated. I don't go on vacation to sit in the room and watch cable, but an iPod dock or something to be able to listen to music would be great.

All in all, a good place with very nice and attentive owners/staff. Totally give it a thumbs up.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
LaDolceVitaResort, Owner at La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thanks so much for your comments on La Dolce Vita. We are pleased that you had a very positive experience at the Resort and would recommend us. In reference to breakfast, the County of Riverside Health Department is very strict as to what a hotel can serve without having a full restaurant on-site. Our permit is called a upscale continental breakfast. We serve hard boiled eggs, but, cannot serve warm eggs. We are not allowed to bake our own pastries, even though we have our own oven. They do allow our guests to make their own waffles, which are very popular here. In reference to the technology in our rooms, we are finding that more and more of our guests listen to music on their smart devices using headsets. Should that trend change, we will definitely be on it.
Best regards,
Ken and Tim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our stay here just after Memorial Day, and enjoyed making new Facebook friends with others staying there. The relaxing nude pool atmosphere was great for all 5 days other than one afternoon when an overally sexually charged Canadian guest decided to go out of bounds, but was promptly dressed down by Management. Bravo! The room is roomy indeed, breakfast is basic but OK. But in all fairness to the Positive, the resort does need rennovation and updating. It is a little tired at the heals, both in furniture and condition in the rooms, as well as on the grounds. We travel and see many resorts around the world, so we see standards that are higher. If you expect a 5-star resort, you will be dissapointed, but if your experiences are 3-star resorts, this will be a fine choice. One last note - we did see a couple check in one day, take the tour, put their bags in the room, then left - and they must have gone and found other accomidations, becuase an hour later upon returning they promptly checked out and left. Uncomfortable but possibly speaks to the need for updating/rennovation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
LaDolceVitaResort, Owner at La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Hi Guys, Thanks for your comments. It has been a wonderfully busy season for us with occupancy levels at an all time high. We have an activity list that we work on continually to keep the property comfortable and beautiful. Our goal is to create a village atmosphere and keep our pricing low enough so most of our community can experience the gay brotherhood that we create here. You making Facebook friends is an example of this. In reference to the folks who had to check out early, they had to change their plans to address some family matters in San Diego. We actually received an email from them a few days ago that things are well. They were very nice men. Have a funtastic weekend. Best regards, Ken and Tim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I had the most amazing, relaxing experience here. Your hosts Ken and Tim are wonderful and welcoming. Inn managers Barry and Phillip will look after you even before you get there. I was very impressed as Barry talked me through the whole booking process with ease, and Phillip rang to check on me when I was running late arriving.

The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Aveda bath products are a luxurious touch. There are two pools, two hot tubs, a steam room and plenty of space to hang out with other guests or by yourself. Breakfast was nutritious and filling, including blood oranges from the owners' tree.

Happy hour drinks and snacks were a great time to socialise and meet other guests.

I didn't get a chance to try the day spa there, but it is definitely on the list for next time.

Can't wait to go back again

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
LaDolceVitaResort, Owner at La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thanks so much Dr. Mike. We really enjoyed meeting you. We know it's a long trip to Palm Springs from Australia but we are looking forward to your return. Thanks for the pictures. You have a "good eye". Have a wonderful summer!
Hugs,
Ken and Tim
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Planning a move is stressful. Staying at La Dolce Vita during my house hunting trip to Palm Springs took the edge off of the daily activities of looking for addresses and touring homes. The owners are very helpful and the staff is great at keeping things just the way you want to find them after a long day of house hunting. The guests were friendly and the basic continental breakfast was just what I needed to start the day. I recommend this place to anyone who wants a pleasant break from the day to day and a chance to just be yourself.

Room Tip: I stayed in Roma and all the rooms are nice opening onto a pool. I liked my room because of the kitc...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I recently stayed at La Dolce Vita in Palm Springs. I had never stayed there before and was somewhat reluctant as some gay resorts can be "snooty". This was absolutely not the case here! The entire staff was welcoming and friendly as were the guests.

When I checked in, I was given a tour of the property and a run down of the amenities. They have a social hour every night but Thursdays, they have two hot tubs, a steam room and an on site spa! They have music playing outside, misters, several areas for people to gather and a grill for the guests to use.

The property is located close to down town Palm Springs and night life. It is well maintained and nicely landscaped. My room was clean, tastefully decorated and very comfortable. All of the rooms look out on to one of two pools.

I utilized the spa for a hot stone massage by Christopher and a facial by Jeffery. I would highly recommend both services! Both men are experts and professional. Totally relaxing!

I would highly recommend La Dolce Vita to any gay man wanting to have an enjoyable relaxing time in Palm Springs! This resort is very reasonably priced. I have paid a lot more for a lot less at other resorts. I will be staying there again!

Jim Bolyard

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
leanleft
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I had a wonderful experience with my stay at La Dolce Vita Resort and Spa. I'm trying to think of things that were problematic, and nothing can come to mind. I stayed for eight nights as a solo traveler, and the place definitely became home for those eight days. The owners, the staff, and also important, the other guests were all friends.

Since I was staying for a long time, I chose one of the larger rooms, which had a full kitchen, living room, and bedroom. For longer stays I would recommend a room with a kitchen as you can save some money and cook in the room, if you are not a foodie like me.

The grounds have two pools, which can give you a little variety while you lounge away the days. Both pools get good amounts of sun, and also provide some shade if you need it. There are two hot tubs, a steam room, and lots of lounge chairs, so I never once felt crowded at the resort, even when the resort is at full capacity.

They also host a daily happy hour with drinks and food which is a great way to meet guests. As someone who doesn't drink, it also made me a little nervous. Special mention goes to Phil, who knew I didn't drink, but knew I loved diet coke, and somehow managed to come up behind me and sneak me a diet coke at all the right times. It is little touches like that, that make places special. Even without saying, Phil could tell I was a little uneasy and made me feel at ease.

I've stayed at many a gay resort in PS, and leadership starts at top. The staff were at ease, and that made its way down to the patrons. Some resorts can be stand-off-ish and full of cliques. Not here. As a solo traveler, other guests were always friendly, inclusive, and welcoming. I believe a lot of that comes from the way the staff treat everyone.

I know I've had a great time, when I feel blah about going home. And I definitely have a serious case of the blahs now. I look forward to my next trip. Special shout outs to all the staff, but in particular, Phil, Todd, and Sergio, you all rock.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Palm Springs is my idea of the perfect getaway, and La Dolce Vita is the perfect resort and spa. This was my 4th visit to "The Sweet Life" and, as usual, owners Ken and Tim rolled out the red carpet. My room had everything I needed; the views were breathtaking; and the vibe was "chill." La Dolce Vita transports me to another reality - no stress, no worries, kicking back, good people, and good times. Every morning I woke up to sunny days and smiling faces. The staff works very hard making sure the grounds are kept beautiful and the guests are kept happy. And although I enjoy traveling solo, everyone at the resort was friendly and approachable. There's even a Social Hour to mix and mingle. Downtown Palm Springs is nearby, and I enjoyed the short walk to various shops, bars, restaurants, and events such as the "must do" Thursday evening Street Fair. So, whenever I feel like slowing down and taking a deep breath, I book a room at La Dolce Vita. It rejuvenates my soul.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!